Harry Bissell's Fast Response Low Ripple Envelope Follower

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Post Reply
Larrea
Common Wiggler
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:38 pm
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula

Post by Larrea » Fri May 19, 2017 2:12 pm

mcop wrote:A bit rough and ready but here's my first build completed this morning. Have only managed a quick test but it appears to work fine. Does need a pre-amp for low level signals.

Image
I'm curious if you cut and drilled the panel from sheet stock you have on hand.

It looks good. I don't suppose you'd have spares...would you?

I'm keen for my PCB to arrive!

User avatar
mcop
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:39 am
Location: Bristol UK
Contact:

Post by mcop » Fri May 19, 2017 2:23 pm

For this one I used 20mm x 2mm anodised aluminium from a local DIY store. It came in a 1 meter length.
For most of my panels up to 12HP I get my aluminium in lengths on ebay and cut it down. For larger panels I just buy small sheet offcuts and cut them down.
I dont have spares sorry as I cut the lengths down as I need them.

User avatar
whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 am
Location: London UK

Post by whoop_john » Fri May 19, 2017 4:55 pm

elmegil wrote:Got my PCBs in Chicago today, thanks again John! Very nicely packaged.
I am pleased they arrived safely in the Windy City.
Ⓞⓝⓔ ⓓⓐⓨ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓦⓐⓚⓔ ⓤⓟ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓕⓘⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤⓡⓢⓔⓛⓕ ⓓⓔⓐⓓ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓢⓣⓐⓨ ⓛⓘⓚⓔ ⓣⓗⓐⓣ ⓕⓞⓡ ⓣⓗⓔ ⓡⓔⓢⓣ ⓞⓕ ⓨⓞⓤⓡ ⓛⓘⓕⓔ

Larrea
Common Wiggler
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:38 pm
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula

Post by Larrea » Fri May 19, 2017 6:13 pm

mcop wrote:For this one I used 20mm x 2mm anodised aluminium from a local DIY store. It came in a 1 meter length.
For most of my panels up to 12HP I get my aluminium in lengths on ebay and cut it down. For larger panels I just buy small sheet offcuts and cut them down.
I dont have spares sorry as I cut the lengths down as I need them.
No worries of course; figured I'd ask.

I have plenty of aluminum stock available and can cut and drill without issue, but finding it anodized in small quantities isn't as easy. I'll have to keep looking.

widgetoz
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 694
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 1:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by widgetoz » Fri May 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Larrea wrote:
mcop wrote:For this one I used 20mm x 2mm anodised aluminium from a local DIY store. It came in a 1 meter length.
For most of my panels up to 12HP I get my aluminium in lengths on ebay and cut it down. For larger panels I just buy small sheet offcuts and cut them down.
I dont have spares sorry as I cut the lengths down as I need them.
No worries of course; figured I'd ask.

I have plenty of aluminum stock available and can cut and drill without issue, but finding it anodized in small quantities isn't as easy. I'll have to keep looking.
If you are looking for anodized blank panels in EuroRack size then Doepfer and I have them

User avatar
diablojoy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: melbourne

Post by diablojoy » Tue May 30, 2017 3:08 am

board received in OZ
thanks john :tu:
hey laurie didn't know you did blank panels , do they have mounting holes or slots in them ?
cheers
It probably wont happen today but if it does it definitely wont go smoothly.

widgetoz
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 694
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 1:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by widgetoz » Tue May 30, 2017 5:06 am

diablojoy wrote:board received in OZ
thanks john :tu:
hey laurie didn't know you did blank panels , do they have mounting holes or slots in them ?
cheers
Hi,

Yes they have the standard M3 mounting holes for securing to your rack.
All but the 1HP have our special slot while the 1HP has a regular round hole

User avatar
PWM
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:08 pm
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by PWM » Tue May 30, 2017 5:10 am

If there is any interest I'd be glad to do a small panel run. I'm going to design and order one for myself anyway.

let me know here or via PM.

Ayab
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:19 am
Location: London, UK

Post by Ayab » Tue May 30, 2017 7:14 am

Great looking module can't wait to get hold of one!

Btw PWM would be interested in a panel - can you let me know cost and p&p

Thanks

User avatar
dubtoms
Common Wiggler
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 4:34 am

Post by dubtoms » Tue May 30, 2017 2:45 pm

PWM wrote:If there is any interest I'd be glad to do a small panel run. I'm going to design and order one for myself anyway.
I'd be happy to get one panel from you. I haven't ordered my pcb from John yet but if that's manageable I'd rather avoid having to order them from different sources to reduce shipping costs involved. :roll:

User avatar
whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 am
Location: London UK

Post by whoop_john » Tue May 30, 2017 4:02 pm

dubtoms wrote:
PWM wrote:If there is any interest I'd be glad to do a small panel run. I'm going to design and order one for myself anyway.
I'd be happy to get one panel from you. I haven't ordered my pcb from John yet but if that's manageable I'd rather avoid having to order them from different sources to reduce shipping costs involved. :roll:
I have three boards left.
Ⓞⓝⓔ ⓓⓐⓨ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓦⓐⓚⓔ ⓤⓟ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓕⓘⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤⓡⓢⓔⓛⓕ ⓓⓔⓐⓓ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓢⓣⓐⓨ ⓛⓘⓚⓔ ⓣⓗⓐⓣ ⓕⓞⓡ ⓣⓗⓔ ⓡⓔⓢⓣ ⓞⓕ ⓨⓞⓤⓡ ⓛⓘⓕⓔ

User avatar
diablojoy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1620
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: melbourne

Post by diablojoy » Wed May 31, 2017 4:37 am

Thanks Laurie good to know will keep you in mind .


PWM wrote
If there is any interest I'd be glad to do a small panel run. I'm going to design and order one for myself anyway.
I would definitely be interested in a
4 hp euro panel if that's where your going.
It probably wont happen today but if it does it definitely wont go smoothly.

User avatar
maltemark
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:39 am
Location: Gothenburg

Post by maltemark » Wed May 31, 2017 6:16 am

Up for one PCB, and also the panel run by PWM

User avatar
Haralds:Werk
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:33 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Haralds:Werk » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:13 am

How fast is this design? Did anybody measure it? I wouild like to see some pictures like those below. Blue line is the cv other line signal with 200Hz sine.

Image
Last edited by Haralds:Werk on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.haraldswerk.de
Home of Next Generation Formant

User avatar
whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 am
Location: London UK

Post by whoop_john » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:31 pm

All PCBs have now gone, but I think I should order another 20 as quite a number of people have expressed an interest and I would be happy to fulfil demand. Pecuniary reward is not my prime interest, but if I end up the right side of a pint of Britney Spear, then I shall drink a toast to you all.

Best wishes,

John of the whoop variety…
Ⓞⓝⓔ ⓓⓐⓨ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓦⓐⓚⓔ ⓤⓟ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓕⓘⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤⓡⓢⓔⓛⓕ ⓓⓔⓐⓓ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓢⓣⓐⓨ ⓛⓘⓚⓔ ⓣⓗⓐⓣ ⓕⓞⓡ ⓣⓗⓔ ⓡⓔⓢⓣ ⓞⓕ ⓨⓞⓤⓡ ⓛⓘⓕⓔ

User avatar
loderbast
Common Wiggler
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:29 pm
Location: RheinMain, germany

Post by loderbast » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:32 pm

i'd like to be added to your lift for one pcb please 8-)

User avatar
dubtoms
Common Wiggler
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 4:34 am

Post by dubtoms » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:33 am

I'll order one from the next batch if PWM confirms that he will make panels. :tu:

User avatar
ArboriaAuralist
Common Wiggler
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:11 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Post by ArboriaAuralist » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:05 am

Count me in for one, please. :party:

User avatar
Haralds:Werk
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:33 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Haralds:Werk » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:40 am

Please count me in for one.
www.haraldswerk.de
Home of Next Generation Formant

User avatar
PWM
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:08 pm
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by PWM » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:13 am

dubtoms wrote:I'll order one from the next batch if PWM confirms that he will make panels. :tu:
I'm happy to do so. Did a mock-up the other day and if I order 5 pieces the cost will be around €15,- with p.p. in Europe/UK included.

I'd love to show the mock-up but the program I'm using doesn't allow for exporting to an ok quality picture. They really want me to order with them if I use their (free) software...


P.S. Received my PCB. Great quality, John! Thanks!

[EDIT] Removed the picture. It was based on estimates that don't fit the actual sizes. My apologies.
Last edited by PWM on Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ayab
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:19 am
Location: London, UK

Post by Ayab » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:59 am

I received mine too yes great quality.

Pwm - Would be interested in a panel can you confirm cost Inc post to London UK pls. Thanks

User avatar
PWM
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:08 pm
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by PWM » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:10 am

Ayab wrote:I received mine too yes great quality.

Pwm - Would be interested in a panel can you confirm cost Inc post to London UK pls. Thanks
I gave an estimate in my previous post.

User avatar
dubtoms
Common Wiggler
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 4:34 am

Post by dubtoms » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:54 am

Maybe you could order a slightly larger batch and cut the price down a little bit I'm sure there are at least 10 people interested in a Euro Panel...

User avatar
teebeehex
Common Wiggler
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:22 am
Location: South Australia

Post by teebeehex » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:03 pm

PWM, I would be interested in 2 panels if you are able to get the price down a little by upping the order quantity.

Larrea
Common Wiggler
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:38 pm
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula

Post by Larrea » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:03 pm

I finally had a chance to finish building mine this afternoon.

It's perfect. It does exactly what I hoped it would do.

For my purposes, I'm glad it's optimized for higher audio input levels. I have other options for line/instrument level inputs, and specifically wanted an EF that would work with modular levels without having to attenuate, and this does that perfectly.

It's fast too.

Very pleased.

Thank you John for the work!

PWM, if you go ahead with the panel run, I'll take one.

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”