Harry Bissell's Fast Response Low Ripple Envelope Follower

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

dubtoms
Common Wiggler

Post by dubtoms » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Well I guess it makes sense since Julian will also be making panels for the Utilities PCB made by John.

spotta
Needs more wigglin' time

Post by spotta » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:15 am

PWM wrote:Julian is willing to make a batch of panels. These will cost somewhere between £15 - £20. You can see an example of his work here. (Scroll down a bit)
viewtopic.php?t=183581&start=25

I can't see how to get a better deal for an equally good and nice looking product.

Tomorrow I will sent out PMs to everybody who showed interest in the original panel run to see how many are still up for one. When all have responded (in a time of two weeks) I know a definite price.
Please add me to the interested list for a Beast panel if they are still going ahead.
Spotta
--

synchromesh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synchromesh » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:34 am

I was thinking about these panels yesterday - any progress? :hyper:

Larrea
Common Wiggler
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula

Post by Larrea » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:27 am

synchromesh wrote:I was thinking about these panels yesterday - any progress? :hyper:
Yes. I was just wondering the same thing yesterday.

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:52 am

I've not heard anything recently from Julian about panels.
Ⓞⓝⓔ ⓓⓐⓨ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓦⓐⓚⓔ ⓤⓟ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓕⓘⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤⓡⓢⓔⓛⓕ ⓓⓔⓐⓓ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓢⓣⓐⓨ ⓛⓘⓚⓔ ⓣⓗⓐⓣ ⓕⓞⓡ ⓣⓗⓔ ⓡⓔⓢⓣ ⓞⓕ ⓨⓞⓤⓡ ⓛⓘⓕⓔ

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:44 am

I have had one or two late requests from people who would like PCBs, but I have completely run out of the second batch. If I get ten requests in total, then I am happy to get another batch made and sent out.

So if you missed this the first and second time, or were waiting for Julian or someone to make a panel, then please register your interest by sending me a private message.
Ⓞⓝⓔ ⓓⓐⓨ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓦⓐⓚⓔ ⓤⓟ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓕⓘⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤⓡⓢⓔⓛⓕ ⓓⓔⓐⓓ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓦⓘⓛⓛ ⓢⓣⓐⓨ ⓛⓘⓚⓔ ⓣⓗⓐⓣ ⓕⓞⓡ ⓣⓗⓔ ⓡⓔⓢⓣ ⓞⓕ ⓨⓞⓤⓡ ⓛⓘⓕⓔ

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:52 am

OK people, I decided to order another bunch of these PCBs anyway. This will probably take a week to 10 days to arrive. They are in production as I type this.

The cost is £2.50 per board and payment will be via Paypal in GBP. Please indicate to Paypal that it is a gift and please pay in £ GBP, or I get to pay your conversion fee and a business surcharge too. This isn't fair to me, as I am trying to keep the cost low for everyone. Shipping is £1.50 in the UK and £3.50 for the rest of the world.

As always, please message me to let me know:
1] Your address - Paypal does not send this to me
2] Your real name, to put on the package
3] Your Muffwiggler nickname, so I can match up buyer to payment
4] How many PCBs you want

Thank you

julian
i like synthesisers...

Post by julian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Im good to go on the panels, but was waiting to heat back from PWM, who was working some stuff out. Ideally id like to cut them next week (along with some more utilities panels)

_________

For stocked euro / buchla / midibox see - http://thebeast.co.uk/?post_type=product

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://thebeast.co.uk/?page_id=21

maltemark
Ultra Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:08 am

Still Up for a panel here!

julian
i like synthesisers...

Post by julian » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:32 am

maltemark wrote:Still Up for a panel here!
Make sure you are on this list -

viewtopic.php?p=2656390

Ive actually just taken the first batch off the machine, based on the numbers requested 2 day ago...

Anyhow, make sure youre on that list (remember to specify text colour), and ill cut some more.

_________

For stocked euro / buchla / midibox see - http://thebeast.co.uk/?post_type=product

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://thebeast.co.uk/?page_id=21

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:47 am

I have received a new batch of PCBs for the envelope follower.

Please send me a message through the forum if you would like any.

Julian is providing front panels for this project, please order through the thread at:

viewtopic.php?p=2656390

I will send Julian stocks of PCBs so that he can combine those with his front panels and have them sent as a single package.

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:57 am

Panels just arrived from Julian. Beautifully engraved and filled anodised alumin(i)um. My pictures don't do the panels justice, but I thought people might be interested in seeing them.

Incidentally, I have had a few enquiries about the small pots used. These are widely available on Ebay and Aliexpress. Search for RK097N to see available values in this series.

PWM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by PWM » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:35 am

Nice! Very pretty panels indeed.

antf4rm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by antf4rm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Interested in a PCB. Sent a PM. Nice work!

antf4rm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by antf4rm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm digging the way you've made those right angled power headers. Brilliant! :bananaguitar:

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:26 pm

antf4rm wrote:I'm digging the way you've made those right angled power headers. Brilliant! :bananaguitar:
Power on these narrow modules is best taken out of the back to avoid problems with modules that might be located to either side.

Angled headers are available, but they are the wrong way round unless they are soldered underneath the PCB and there's no room in 4HP to do that without crashing the width.

Doepfer specify negative should be to the bottom of the board. Hence my solution is to solder in some double row header pins (2x5) and solder the shrouded socket onto that.

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:35 am

I have received a further batch of PCBs, so if anyone is still interested please message me. The cost is £2.50 GBP per board, plus shipping of £1.50 in the UK or £3.50 rest of the world.

antf4rm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by antf4rm » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:14 pm

that 5k resistor..... it goes in the first 1k slot on the pcb next to the freq pot. correct?

antf4rm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by antf4rm » Thu May 17, 2018 2:58 am

yay! it works. and it tracks very fast. neat follower! super EZ to find sweet sopts of action! :nana:

clorax hurd
Notorious Frog Licker

Post by clorax hurd » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:47 am

Haralds:Werk wrote:
roglok wrote: Interesting. Thanks for doing these measurements. May I ask what frequency you are clocking the peak-hold circuits with?
The clock is runing with 8kHz
Why are you then surprised you're getting ripple?

If you sample the 200Hz wave 40x during each period, then the whole switching between three peak detectors is pointless... You could as well just connect the audio input into that low pass filter in the end of the circuit....

The clock should be set to around 3x the lowest frequency of the audio input... 60Hz (3x20Hz) is overkill and creating other kind of artefacts,, better try frequencies between 100 and 500Hz. Then you should have zero ripple feeding 200Hz audio.

serge75
1-Post Wiggler

Post by serge75 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:48 am

Im interested in 1 of these boards if these are still available. Thank you

dubtoms
Common Wiggler

Post by dubtoms » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:20 am

After being away from DIY for a long time, I'm finally done with this build. As far as I can tell, the Frequency pot doesn't seem to have a drastic effect (I used a 10k pot+a 5k resistor as recommended I think) but I'm glad everything works as intended. Thanks to John and everyone else involved in this project !

Phatline
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Harry Bissell's Fast Response Low Ripple Envelope Follower

Post by Phatline » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:59 am

hi

1. has anyone modet his board? > any improvements?
i ask because of: i already drawed the shematic on kicad, and i am on the middle of routing the board, (SMD, Pick and Place...JLCPCP...)

2. If someone is in the Mood - please check the shematic:
Harry Bissels Envelope Follower-Shematic.png
Harry Bissels Envelope Follower-Shematic.pdf
(274.26 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

thx - Mike
Last edited by Phatline on Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trachea
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Trachea » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:58 pm

Here's a version that was posted on Diystompboxes.com froum 10-15 years ago. I couldn't find it on that site recently. Bernie Hutchins himself actually dropped in on a thread where they were discussing the env follower, and this version was offered as an alternative to the original (sorry about the low resolution, the original was a .gif):

bissel env follow reprised.png

Phatline
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Phatline » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:54 pm

Trachea wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:58 pm
Here's a version that was posted on Diystompboxes.com froum 10-15 years ago. I couldn't find it on that site recently. Bernie Hutchins himself actually dropped in on a thread where they were discussing the env follower, and this version was offered as an alternative to the original (sorry about the low resolution, the original was a .gif):

bissel env follow reprised.png
thx...but to much difference...

here a Render - the PCB is 37mm deep. - cant get it to 33mm - which where needet to get 3 of it on 1 100x100 PCB...
ENV-Follower-PCB..png
ENV-Follower-3D-buttom.png
ENV-Follower-3D-top.png

Return to “Music Tech DIY”