ARP 3620 clone project

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:10 pm

OK - update on progress for PCBs and panels.

I have enough PCBs on order to satisfy all requests to date with hopefully a couple of spares. The cost will be £20 GBP per PCB with carriage at cost. They should be with me in about 10 days from now.

On the panel front I have a price for 5 at £77 GBP each plus carriage at cost. I know not everybody wants a panel but if I can muster 10 in total the cost comes down to £44 GBP each, again with carriage at cost. Anything between 5 and 10 will be slightly cheaper than £77 GBP each due to the one-off set-up cost, but the cost drops dramatically at 10 or more. I'm hoping therefore I can raise enough for 10 as it will be considerably less per panel than for 9 or under.

The panels will be fully CNC machined, powder coated in matt black and screen printed in white in Arial font or it's nearest equivalent. Delivery to me is approx 2-3 weeks from order.

Obviously for those wanting a PCB and panel the carriage costs should be broadly similar to a PCB alone, so I'd send both out together. As a rough guide the cost to Australia for a PCB only is about £10-11 GBP.

For all those who are still interested, please PM me your location and whether you require a panel as well as a PCB and I'll reply with the total cost. I accept PayPal in GBP only, so will respond with my PayPal details by PM.

For those who don't see and respond to this in the next few days, I'll PM them individually at the weekend.

I'm doing this to help others at no personal gain, so these are the best prices I can offer. I hope it sounds reasonable to everybody.

aladan
Desperately Seeking Sondra

Post by aladan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for this great work, Kipling.

Did you want someone to drum up more interest (i.e. to cut per-person costs, especially on the panels) or would you rather keep it to the existing small group? I'm sure a post on the TTSH thread and/or SDIY/AH would elicit some more interest, but I don't want you to be unwillingly deluged.

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:04 pm

aladan wrote:
Did you want someone to drum up more interest (i.e. to cut per-person costs, especially on the panels) or would you rather keep it to the existing small group? I'm sure a post on the TTSH thread and/or SDIY/AH would elicit some more interest, but I don't want you to be unwillingly deluged.
I'd be more than happy to get enough interest to do a run of 10 panels for everybody's sake, and currently have interest in 14 PCBs. Officially I'll have only 13 but there should be a couple of spares to keep everybody happy.

If there were enough interest from elsewhere to do another run of 10 of each then I'd be happy to oblige. It's a not-for-profit exercise on my part but I'm more than happy to pay back the huge debt we owe to people like zthee who make all this possible for the masses.

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Kipling, I'll gladly help to get to 10. Count me in for a panel now. I'd rather have silkscreen than milled text anyway.

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:00 pm

qp wrote:Kipling, I'll gladly help to get to 10. Count me in for a panel now. I'd rather have silkscreen than milled text anyway.
Certainly, no problem at all.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:56 pm

I'll kick myself if I don't get in on this, so put me down for a pcb/panel when/if they become available.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:05 pm

No problem sduck

Should be able to offer you a PCB from the batch on order if they do enough spares, which I'm hoping they will. On my first run of two I got two extra, so I'm rather hoping there'll be 3-4 extra on a batch of 10. Just two would cover current demand so finger's crossed

BTW I love your signature - one of my favourite Monty Python sketches, which unfortunately they didn't do at the two shows I saw in London last month and the last one on TV. In fact nothing whatsoever from the Holy Grail, more's the pity.

I suppose I could make mine "Ooh Dennis - there's some lovely synths down here...."

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:12 pm

I didn't even know it was a Monty Python quote until just now! Peake used it in a thread a while back, and it just seemed right...
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

diablojoy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diablojoy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Count me in on a panel as well
after thinking it over it will work out ok for me and save me some time
something I just cant find enough of lately.
It probably wont happen today but if it does it definitely wont go smoothly.

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:43 am

Of course diablojoy.

That's 7 panels now with a similar number still to respond, so it's definitely going to be a 10+ order at the lower price. The more the better - the one-off set-up cost and postal cost gets diluted the more I order so I'll probably be able to reduce the price of the panel a little further.

I know what you mean about the lack of time - this has taken me from January to get this far.

ttown23
is banned
is banned

Post by ttown23 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:45 pm

Kipling wrote:ttown23

Would you be interested in a panel too?
Absolutely, that would be great!
I'm banned for dishonest and unethical behaviour.

dingebre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dingebre » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:02 pm

I would like to purchase a panel and PCB please.

David
David M. Ingebretsen
AnalogueRealities.com

dingebre@3dphysics.net
dingebre@CFandE.com

jaidee
Common Wiggler

Post by jaidee » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:34 pm

As per PM sent some time ago, a PCB and panel for me, thanks!

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:39 am

dingebre wrote:I would like to purchase a panel and PCB please.

David
Thanks David

You're on the reserve list for the PCBs at present as I don't know exactly how many I'll end up with, hopefully enough but there's no guarantee of that - depends on how many spares I get.

I'll be placing an order for the panels when I know how many PCBs I've got and how many panels I'll be needing.

There may be another run if I can get requests for 10 PCBs and 10 Panels over and above the number in the current batch.

dingebre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dingebre » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:40 am

Thank you. I understand perfectly. May I pm you with a couple of other items related and unrelated?
David M. Ingebretsen
AnalogueRealities.com

dingebre@3dphysics.net
dingebre@CFandE.com

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:02 pm

dingebre wrote:Thank you. I understand perfectly. May I pm you with a couple of other items related and unrelated?
Fortunately for you your chances have increased as I've had one drop out so it's bumped you up the list.

Please feel free to PM me as required.

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:41 pm

Update 17/08/2014

The PCBs have not arrived yet - hopefully this week.

I've yet to hear from two Wigglers on the list with regards to whether they still want a PCB and a panel to go with it, so I'll PM them again. Similarly there's a guy on GearSlutz in the same situation.

I'll order the panels when I know how many I need, as I don't want to under-order or be left with any unsold as it's all at cost with no profit.

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Any Chance to get a pcb and panel too ?
Please count me in.
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:02 pm

LED-man - I'll add you to the wish list as the PCBs arrived today and there's not quite enough to fulfil all requests, though I'm still waiting on confirmation from one member who's near the top of the list. For that reason the panels have not been ordered yet so I can certainly include you in those, and if there's no other demand for PCBs I can send you the gerber files to get one made yourself if you like.

If said member doesn't respond in the next few days I'll bump him to the bottom of the list and order up the panels (2-3 week delivery).

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi folks - another update

I've ordered up a few more PCBs to satisfy all current demand and a couple more just in case, and will keep to the original price of £20 GBP each to be fair to all. I'm unlikely to do any more after that so if you're dithering, I suggest you get in quick.

I'm hoping to get the panels ordered in the next couple of days so all being well I'll be asking for payment in a couple of weeks and start shipping ASAP after that. There will only be one spare panel which may or may not already be spoken for - still not heard from 3vcos so if anyone knows him, please give him a nudge - cheers.

Those who just want a PCB should get a PM in the next couple of days with total cost including postage/shipping as they are ready to go. Those wanting panels as well (almost everyone) will get a PM when I've received them and worked out the weight and hence postal charges.

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:59 pm

Another day, another update.

I've requested 20 panels even though I only have requests for 14 at present - it works out cheaper. That means I'll be able to reduce the panel price to everyone, and have enough to match the number of spare PCBs I'll have when all the current requests are fulfilled.

I'm waiting for confirmation of the total panel order value, but it's looking like I can drop the price from £44 to around the £38 mark each which I trust will be agreeable to all.

rockwoofstone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rockwoofstone » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:55 am

Please could you put me down for a panel and PCB.

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:20 pm

rockwoofstone wrote:Please could you put me down for a panel and PCB.
Yes of course, no problem.

Fubard
Common Wiggler

Yet another

Post by Fubard » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:34 am

Hi, I'm in the process of my TTSH build and just found this as I've followed the TTSH for a lil over a year now but never had a reason to create an account or speak up.

I'm extremely interested in building one of these. Does the bom include everything like the key mech and case? I am good w woodworking and could eventually hammer out a solution but I'm quite new to building off forums without a kit or instructions. How difficult would it be to find parts?

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi Fubard

The BOM includes all the components, and the hardware needed to build the PCB and panel, but excludes the keybed assembly itself as most will be sourcing from old organs or similar. Most of the components are available from Mouser, but a few need sourcing from elsewhere - the BOM gives suggestions just like the TTSH one does, but as I'm in the UK it's naturally biased to this side of the Pond.

I bought a new old-stock keybed assembly from Kimber Allen here in the UK, as have a couple of others building this, but you can use any 4-octave 49-key C-C keybed as long as it has two independent contacts per key, with the one for the CV bus closing just before the gate bus contact (bend to suit). In fact you can use a 3-octave 37-key if you wish and place a precision 1.2k resistor above or below the end of the 100R keyboard resistor chain.

I have CAD files I can share for the parts to build the case using this keybed (made from ¼" & ½" nominal MDF), but obviously it will need modifying to suit your particular keybed and the way it needs mounting. Attached is a zip file of the drawings in AutoCAD 2013 format, which can be viewed or modified in DraftSight for free if you don't have access to AutoCAD.

Please feel free to ask anything you wish to know - not quite life, the universe and everything, but I'll try.
Attachments
ARP 3620 case.zip
(48.81 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Return to “Music Tech DIY”