[Shipping] - Euro Panel/Kit for Serge Resonant EQ Mk. II

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

simfonik
Veteran Wiggler

Post by simfonik » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:29 am

negativspace wrote:Yes, that's correct. :tu:

For the caps, use ceramic for the 47pf as those are not part of the filter bands. The 47n are perfectly fine to sub with polypropylene or C0G if you have to. Styrenes above 10nF are tougher to source... I periodically buy 5-10 on ebay, usually some decent deals can be had. (Buck or two apiece.)

Small Bear has lots of values in stock as well, so if Mouser wants you to buy 100 give SB a shot. 10nF rule still applies, at least last time I checked.
Thanks!

One more question: Am I correct in thinking these will fit the hole pattern for the pots?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alp ... qzrvHq8%3d

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:54 pm

Yes.

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:11 am

negativspace wrote:And you'd better buy them, we're not running another batch until he's out. 8-)
So there will be another batch? I do consider ordering from Synthcube, however I might not be able to go through with it anytime soon.

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:12 am

I'm leaning toward yes, but it's not imminent.

widgetoz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by widgetoz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:30 am

listentoaheartbeat wrote:
negativspace wrote:And you'd better buy them, we're not running another batch until he's out. 8-)
So there will be another batch? I do consider ordering from Synthcube, however I might not be able to go through with it anytime soon.
Currently I would doubt that there would be anymore of this specific pcb as the front panel is no longer available in the current format.
There is a new front panel coming out that complies with the original Serge design and it has its own fully dedicated pcb, does not use surface mount devices and does not require any wiring or modification or reworking of the boards.
We have some of these 'current' front panels and pcbs in stock.

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:23 pm

widgetoz wrote:
Currently I would doubt that there would be anymore of this specific pcb as the front panel is no longer available in the current format.
There is a new front panel coming out that complies with the original Serge design and it has its own fully dedicated pcb, does not use surface mount devices and does not require any wiring or modification or reworking of the boards.
You mean a panel with knobs instead of faders? But how does this affect the Clarke Robinson / negativespace collaboration if they decide to do another run?

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:37 pm

It doesn't.

widgetoz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by widgetoz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:43 pm

widgetoz wrote:
You mean a panel with knobs instead of faders? But how does this affect the Clarke Robinson / negativespace collaboration if they decide to do another run?
They never got approval from Serge to release the design nor use the Serge name. So legally Clarke can't do a run of that panel and so the negativespace pcb would also be redundant.
No, it has sliders but is the original design arrangement as per the Ken Stone pcb, no additional outputs.

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Laurie, Clarke and I are aware of your position in this matter but respectfully we disagree.

First of all I got approval from Ken Stone to produce this kit - an accessory for his CGS202, nothing more - before I started the first run in 2012. I've made him aware in advance of each subsequent run (so he could stock up on PCBs) and he has always been supportive. He even redesigned the PCB recently, laying all of the wires out on one edge and in the same order as they appear on my daughterboard, to make wiring quicker and easier for this specific application. Clearly he approves of the project. (And why not? It's generated almost $13,000 in PCB sales for him in its lifetime.)

For Serge's part, all I have is hearsay and perhaps Clarke can elaborate, but they met a few months ago in San Francisco and Clarke had a chance to show him the current project and discuss our situation, especially as it concerns Elby. (I'll keep that private; it's business that doesn't need to be aired publicly.) Apparently he was thrilled to see it in Euro, delighted to see both Kens and my name on the front panel alongside his, and very intrigued by the sliders and individual outputs. I don't think he has an issue with it either.

He left contact information; I'm considering pursuing it. Imagine if I licensed the design straight-up... I could even do a retail version and sell it pre-built in stores. I'd make a killing! But I don't want to go that route. I feel a tremendous loyalty to Ken for all of his help and support over the years and I don't want to cut him out of the loop.

simfonik
Veteran Wiggler

Post by simfonik » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:08 pm

How is everyone else getting the 9mm pots to fit? I got the Alpha pots I linked to a few posts back, and the pins on opposing sides are too big to fit the holes on the PCB. Here's a pic of what I got:

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:11 pm

Yup, those tabs are a bit wider than the ones on the metal-shaft parts... you can try trimming them with clippers, or just cut them off. The jacks + standoffs will hold the panel just fine.

widgetoz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by widgetoz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:56 pm

simfonik wrote:How is everyone else getting the 9mm pots to fit? I got the Alpha pots I linked to a few posts back, and the pins on opposing sides are too big to fit the holes on the PCB. Here's a pic of what I got:

You could just drill the holes a bit larger on the pcb, they aren't used for any electrical purpose (if I recall correctly)

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:45 am

^ Entirely correct.

fragletrollet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fragletrollet » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:45 am

I think I have a weird grounding issue on mine.

It works totally correct, but when I have a cable going from the "All Outputs" and touching the tip of the other end of the cable to the panel (or the very first second when inserting into a jack before it is fully seated) the sound cuts out. Any hints?

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:59 pm

Unless I completely misunderstand your issue, that sounds like normal behavior... if you short the tip of the cable plugged into the output to ground, the sound should cut out.

Same thing happens when you insert the cable - it's part of the design of 3.5mm jacks that you'll ground them briefly upon insertion. Think about the arrangement of contacts inside the jack - the tip contact carries signal and the sleeve contact carries ground. The tip of the cable has to pass over the sleeve contact on its way in, meaning that when it passes by the ground contact it momentarily contacts and shorts tip to ground.

simfonik
Veteran Wiggler

Post by simfonik » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:50 pm

Just finished mine and it's partially working. Both ALL OUT work as expected when cutting or boosting frequencies.

Problems are:

1. Lower comb outputs still output upper frequencies.
2. Upper comb outputs still output lower frequencies.
3. Individual outs output nothing.

Any suggestions on where to start for troubleshooting?

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:01 pm

Stupid question, but have you done all of the individual output wires? (You'd be surprised, I've had that come back "no" more than once.)

If the input mixer is working then the SMT section is at least partially functional, so you should be able to find the fault if it's elsewhere.

Upper and Lower outs are not fully separated, don't be surprised to get a lot of each other in those outputs.

Main out... again, most likely an issue on the CGS board as there is no real circuitry for that on the daughterboard. (Just a trace to connect the wire pad to the jack tip lug.)

simfonik
Veteran Wiggler

Post by simfonik » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:52 pm

Your question isn't nearly as stupid as my answer: :oops: I totally missed the individual output wiring.

I'll sort that out and see where that leaves me.

Thanks for the help! :)

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:00 am

There's a reason that's always the first question. :hihi:

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:08 pm

Looking for a BOM for the CGS 202. Could anyone help me out? Specifically the capacitors. However, the whole BOM would be appreciated!

:sb:

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:40 am

The CGS202 BOM is on Ken's CGS202 Webpage -

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs202_reseq.html

Daughterboard & Frontpanel BOM are in this thread, 1st post

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:56 pm

woodster wrote:The CGS202 BOM is on Ken's CGS202 Webpage -

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs202_reseq.html

Daughterboard & Frontpanel BOM are in this thread, 1st post
Err i meant mouser BOM, or perhaps any place that has ALL of the caps in stock at one place.
Last edited by Waz on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fragletrollet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fragletrollet » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:16 pm

Elby have them all in one place 8-)

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:28 pm

About to go to scary town, population - me. Wanted to see if this was all correct before venturing there.

This is some crazy weird wiring here. Kind wish it wasn't so "make-shift".

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:03 pm

The correct term is "DIY." You wanna modify something, you gotta hack it. :hihi:

Everything looks correct except for the 29Hz point on chip marked "1", you want to use the pin closest to your "9" rather than to your "2".

Return to “Music Tech DIY”