[BUILD] Bytes Turing Machine expander

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

elcoco
Common Wiggler

Post by elcoco » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:10 pm

The output from volts goes all the way to 0 but the seq output on the turing machine only goes down a bit but it makes for a perceptible change in pitch.

** EDIT: Fixed it, I had connected the cables incorrectly.

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:04 am

Glad to hear it

saduJ
Learning to Wiggle

Cut both traces on Turing Board

Post by saduJ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:32 pm

Yep--- when doing the steps to install the Bytes expansion, I cut both traces by mistake when taking XACTO to my beautiful, functioning Turing Machine. :doh: Anyone know where I should tie in the incorrectly cut trace?

Thanks!

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:43 pm

Go from the middle pin of the length switch to pin 1 of the CD4016. If you like I can make a picture but it will take me a little longer.

saduJ
Learning to Wiggle

Post by saduJ » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:42 pm

Go from the middle pin of the length switch to pin 1 of the CD4016. If you like I can make a picture but it will take me a little longer.
Thanks for this, it solved my problem with the trace cut. As for my other troubleshooting experience, in case anyone else runs into this:

I was experiencing the "fill the buffer once and then empty" behavior on the long-length side (re-purposed Turing Machine "length" switch up so Bytes knob 9-16 is in control) as others had, but the 1-8 (Turing Machine length switch down) knob was giving me proper divisions. It occurred to me to switch the two 4051 chips with each other, and sure enough, the long-length knob started to work and the short-length knob had no effect. I bought two new 4051s and now my Bytes functions properly.

Thanks to everyone on here who posted before for the help. This morning, I had my first jam with odd time signatures over a 4/4 beat and the Turing Machine with Bytes is SO MUCH FUN!

:sb:

nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Trace cut not necessary

Post by nevetsokyeron » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:58 am

windspirit wrote:
CeeJay wrote:I figured out that a trace cut on the Turing Machine PCB is not necessary for a working Bytes expander. Instead you can remove (desolder or just clip off) the resistor R14. I think that is easier to do and there is no need to damage the board.
Wow I think you are right! I am going to verify this and possibly update the build documents to reflect them. Send me your address and I will send you some goodies in appreciation :cloud: .
Did this ever get added to the documentation? I did not see it the first time through.

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:48 pm

Nope, my plgate has been pretty full with getting the other modules out. I am in the process of migrating everything to github and I want to update documents in the process.

nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nevetsokyeron » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:13 pm

windspirit wrote:Nope, my plgate has been pretty full with getting the other modules out. I am in the process of migrating everything to github and I want to update documents in the process.
Cool. Thanks. Having the stuff on Github should be nice. I look forward to it.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:45 am

Does anyone know if you can sub in 50k pots for the the 100k, mouser is only allowing orders of 1000, and I have plenty 50k pots lying around.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:07 pm

If you are in the US then smallbear and erthenvar also carry those jacks and have quick delivery. Using a smaller pot can affect the distribution of the mumbers along the travel of the pot.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:09 pm

windspirit wrote:If you are in the US then smallbear and erthenvar also carry those jacks and have quick delivery. Using a smaller pot can affect the distribution of the mumbers along the travel of the pot.
Thank you so much.
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:05 pm

I am very confused. I can't find a way to determine the values of the resistors in any of the build documents. Is there a schematic somewhere? The bom doesn't show what resistor values correlate to the which number resistors on the PCB. I must have missed something, can someone help me out? Thanks! (correction, this is an issue with a third party PCB not having the values on it, but any insight would be helpful, thanks!)
Last edited by coolshirtdotjpg on Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nevetsokyeron » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:19 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:I am very confused. I can't find a way to determine the values of the resistors in any of the build documents. Is there a schematic somewhere? The bom doesn't show what resistor values correlate to the which number resistors on the PCB. I must have missed something, can someone help me out? Thanks!
Are you using the Thonk build docs? They list parts and assembly order.
https://thonk.co.uk/documents/Turing/
https://thonk.co.uk/documents/turing2016/

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:38 pm

nevetsokyeron wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:I am very confused. I can't find a way to determine the values of the resistors in any of the build documents. Is there a schematic somewhere? The bom doesn't show what resistor values correlate to the which number resistors on the PCB. I must have missed something, can someone help me out? Thanks!
Are you using the Thonk build docs? They list parts and assembly order.
https://thonk.co.uk/documents/Turing/
https://thonk.co.uk/documents/turing2016/
Thank you, but those do not include Bytes.

Actually, it looks like the only one I couldn't find on the image of the PCB is R4.
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:20 pm

The eagle files are available on my website and you can see the values there. There should be a link in the OP.

ambrohski
Common Wiggler

Post by ambrohski » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:35 pm

In search of a PCB for this wonderful expander, but only finding PCB/panel combo available- does anyone know where I might find just the PCB? :despair:

Thanks!

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:27 am

ambrohski wrote:In search of a PCB for this wonderful expander, but only finding PCB/panel combo available- does anyone know where I might find just the PCB? :despair:

Thanks!
You can get one from magpie modular
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:28 am

windspirit wrote:The eagle files are available on my website and you can see the values there. There should be a link in the OP.
Sounds good. I don't have eagle, but maybe there's a viewer?
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

ambrohski
Common Wiggler

Post by ambrohski » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:22 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
ambrohski wrote:know where I might find just the PCB? :despair:

Thanks!
You can get one from magpie modular
Got it, thanks- but I didn't get outta the store without :moneyburn: on other stuff too :hihi:

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:55 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
windspirit wrote:The eagle files are available on my website and you can see the values there. There should be a link in the OP.
Sounds good. I don't have eagle, but maybe there's a viewer?
Oh yeah just look up gerber viewer (i use gerbv on linux) although eagle is free and pretty easy to look at the boards with.

@ambrohski sorry I saw your message but forgot to reply. Ill probably do one last small run of these soon for people who still have v1 turings at which point I may have some extra boards. If you dont want to wait go with magpie.

nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nevetsokyeron » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:46 am

I finished my build tonight and it went pretty well I think. Still have to do some proper testing.

Question:

If I cut the trace on the main sequencer board - where can I check for continuity to see if the trace is really cut or not?

(Of course I re-read this thread afterwards and see the thing about removing R14 instead of the trace cut)

nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nevetsokyeron » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:54 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Thank you, but those do not include Bytes.

Actually, it looks like the only one I couldn't find on the image of the PCB is R4.
I did my build tonight and realized what you were asking here. Yeah - there's no list of the parts and the corresponding board placement (R1 = 470ohms, etc). The PCB I got from Magpie does not list the resistor values on the board.

I ended up loading up the schematic and made a list.

470K = R1, R2, R6, R7, R8, R10, R11, R16, R18, R19
2.2K = R3, R4, R5, R12, R13
100K = R14, R15

WHY IS THERE NO R17?

atari5200
Wiggling with Experience

Post by atari5200 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:11 pm

windspirit wrote:
Zaibach wrote:So, after a while I decided to calibrate the trimpot of CV input of the Bytes expander. But I discovered that it doesn't react to incoming CV! I tried the given calibration method (clocked at audio rate, saw LFO at CV input, change knob fully CCW, pattern lenght to minimum, CV attenuverter fully CW), but nothing happens. I measured the voltage coming from the wiper of the trimpot, making sure that it doesn't attenuate the CV completely, but i get +/-4V! I exchanged the TL074 just to be sure and reflowed all solder joints - but I can't modulate the pattern lenght with CV. Everything else works like it should - modulating the pattern manually via the pots and the switch. Any ideas where to look next? It's not vital for what I do - it's just bugging me and against my DIY pride that I have a module in my rack that I screwed up somehow...
I know what that feels like!

Do you have an oscilloscope? That will make things easier for you. If not you can run the following tests with a DC voltage and it should work with a voltmeter

Start with your CV attenuverter knob at 12 oclock, CV switch in the middle position.

Test the voltage at pin 1 of your ADC0820, the top ADC corresponds to the short length knob and the bottom ADC corresponds to the long length knob. It should go smoothly between 0 and 9 volts as you go through the entire range of each length knob.

Now apply either a voltage or an LFO to your CV input, turn the CV attenuverter clockwise, and see if there is any difference. You should either see an LFO or a DC voltage added to the offset provided by each length knob. If not, test pin 7 of the TL074 and see if the voltage there corresponds to the CV being applied at your input. If not, test pin 1 of the TL074 and check for the same thing. If you have no luck with any of that let me know and we will go from there.
So I'm having a similar issue in that my CV input isn't doing what I'm expecting it to but it could be that I'm also misunderstanding what it should be doing!

When I feed a +5V DC voltage into the CV in and turn the CV attenuverter all the way up I can measure this voltage at the attenuverter wiper pot, the 100k trimmer wiper pot, pin 1 of the TL074 and then pin 7 of the TL074, but when it hits pin 1 of the ADC0820 it's been pulled down to 2.3V, so I can't get a full sweep of the lengths, in the short position it sweeps from 1-2 or 3 and that's about it.

If I don't use CV, I can sweep through the full range using the knobs so that part is working properly. The trimmer is allowing all the voltage through so I know that's not the choke point either. Is this normal? Do I just need a larger voltage sweep to hit the full range of positions or is this indicating some other issue?

EDIT- I tried it with other voltages and the result is the same, I measure the proper voltage at the points mentioned above but when it hits pin 1 of either ADC0820 based on the position of the switch it's always slightly less than 1/2 of what goes in...
Last edited by atari5200 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:42 pm

Yeah that is not healthy behavior. Sorry its been awhile since I have done work on this module so Im a bit rusty on debugging. If you plug something into the cv input but there is no voltage present can you still sweep the entire range of the adc inputs?

atari5200
Wiggling with Experience

Post by atari5200 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:02 pm

windspirit wrote:Yeah that is not healthy behavior. Sorry its been awhile since I have done work on this module so Im a bit rusty on debugging. If you plug something into the cv input but there is no voltage present can you still sweep the entire range of the adc inputs?
Yes- I'm using my ch.2 of my Maths to send a voltage to the CV in, and if I zero it out I can still use the length knob to sweep the entire range. I can actually use the length knobs to sweep the entire range even if I'm putting in 5V as in my experiment, it's just that the offest being added at pin 1 of the ADC is about 1/2 what it should be.

I reflowed all my solder joints already but I may do it one more time just to be on the same side. I swapped out my TL074 and TL072 just in case that had some effect, but since I am reading the expected voltages at either IC I didn't really imagine that would help.

Given that the IC's are measuring the proper voltage, and both of the ADC0820 are sweeping the proper range 0-9V via the knobs I imagine that narrows down the problem areas! I'm not missing any components but it's not outside the realm of possibility that I mixed up a resistor value somewhere, does that seem like something that would cause my problem?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”