Starting to produce The squarewave parade pedals

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

jullekoalabear
Common Wiggler

Starting to produce The squarewave parade pedals

Post by jullekoalabear » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi all as some of you probably know Steven from The squarewave parade auctioned and sold rights to produce his teaspoon pedals a while ago. He told he was selling them to finance the economical disaster and mess he got in when a lot of his customers preorders the new teaspoon modular unit he was working on in 2010. Its still hasn´t been delivered. It both surprises me and worries me as i also had preordered one and nothing is happening. there was many thousand dollars involved so im crossing my fingers he get out something soon.

There has been a lot of other discussions about this on the forum so im not trying to contribute to any frustration or anything
AND just to be clear, my only relation to Steven is proffesional as i have bought the rights to produce 4 of his pedals including the Teaspoon CAS, Teaspon SLIGHT, THE TEASPOON and the Pollen. Wonderful work. However the PCB design or case design was not included, only schematics, breadboard circuit and part list so i have to figure out that my self.
I have been working on it and planned to make a little batch for a long time but its more time consuming and demanding then i expected as i am not THAT good in electronics or circuit design. And its not an easy task to make case artwork that looks as tempting as the original deisgn
right now im considering just to hire a company to do nice PCB, solder things my self and then hire another person to do case artwork. Just to test the demand for these pedals and see if people still are itnerested in this after some changeovers and the not so good reputation the squarewave parade got after that preorder issues that still hasn´t been solved....

Are there any one in the forum that would be interested in sharing some tips and tricks, fex good trustworthy companies that can do pcb for a decent price, and any other things i should consider before making a batch? And do the forum think these pedals still will be interesting on the marked?

Any feedbacks is highly appreciated.

inlifeindeath
Common Wiggler

Post by inlifeindeath » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:21 pm

i have always wanted a Teaspoon, but could never afford one (which is why I DIY 8_) )
I would definitely be willing to design a PCB for you, just to be able to build one for myself.
I'm by no means in the business of designing or selling modules, but I've been laying out boards for personal use for years.
Otherwise, if you feel like sharing schematics or offering DIY options, I'm definitely in!

twincities
Wiggling with Experience

Post by twincities » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:51 pm

i'm useless on the DIY front, but i would be very interested in a teaspoon depending the price/how they come out!

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Thats an interesting project! I'll keep an eye on that. I was always curious who bought those production rights.

I managed to buy a TeaSpoon Slight off him a while back. It must have been amongst the last he made, as I never saw them offered on his site again.

Out of curiosity, are they PT2399 based? (I've not taken mine apart to look, and im pretty sure the parts were masked anyway)
Last edited by Luap on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:38 pm

Yes, yes, yes feckin yes PLEASE!

Im in on the Euro Module debacle (but not in any way angry about it yet) & I would KILL for a TSP pedal/DIY/Kit - anything you decide to do and in as many versions as you decide to do!!!

I'll also help in any way I can (cant read schematics for the life of me but can solder!) - just give us poor souls that wanted a Teaspoon forever a chance to FINALLY play with one please!

Perhaps hook-up with Cloudscapes (SonicCrayon FX) as his pedal cases are really to die for IMHO!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:23 am

going from memory here I saw that auction for license and I thought the price was a little high considering it was a non-exclusive license for $2,700 for one of the designs. if you purchased more of them that are very similar, I can only imagine what you paid. please correct me if I'm off on the numbers. he can comeback at any time and produce the exact same pedals while he is competing with you using your money as investment capitol. I thought that maybe a large pedal company was buying but it seems you are more of a startup guy.

on the subject of PCB design. I have been looking to pickup some new jobs. I have worked for a few guitar pedal companies doing PCB design bid per project. one guy doesn't even ask for bids anymore, I just bill him after he approves the final gerbers. I usually get lots of praise for my tight layouts, fast turn around and great customer service.

most of the pictures in my flickr are PCB's I did for myself or for contract jobs. https://www.flickr.com/photos/56014696@N08/

inlifeindeath
Common Wiggler

Post by inlifeindeath » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:12 pm

any update? can you confirm if it's a pt2399 based pedal?jullekoalabear

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:19 pm

did anything progress with this project?

I love the teaspoon CAS and have used them a lot in recordings. I have an original version and a slight as well.
looking for:
Eardrill ADSR m-module for Buchla
Intellijel uFade
TSP Teaspoon CAS pedal

https://richardquirkmusic.bandcamp.com
https://thechasms.bandcamp.com
https://twice-dead.bandcamp.com
https://sandfingers.bandcamp.com

pothole
1-Post Wiggler

Post by pothole » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:33 am

Any updates or progress on the Teaspoon?

blz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by blz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:37 am

Any updates?
barcat.blogspot.com

http://waveformcity.blogspot.com/

I beat my brain tumor that makes me indestructible right???

velocanto
1-Post Wiggler

Post by velocanto » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 am

Any news on the Teaspoon -- it seems that now would be the time...

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:30 am

howdydu?

jullekoalabear
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by jullekoalabear » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:42 am

velocanto wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 am
YES! News is coming. If you want i could send you a PM with a personal heade up :)

Best

Julian

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Re: Starting to produce The squarewave parade pedals

Post by mckenic » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:43 am

YES PLEASE!
:sb:

squarewavesurfer
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by squarewavesurfer » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:21 pm

jullekoalabear wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:42 am
velocanto wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 am
YES! News is coming. If you want i could send you a PM with a personal heade up :)

Best

Julian
I'm also very interested in any news on this project.
WTB: Sputnik Valve Multiplier; Verbos Scan & Pan; 0603 Ears pcb and/or panel

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:44 pm

agreed a lot by yes indeed

jullekoalabear
Common Wiggler

Post by jullekoalabear » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:09 am

We are in lockdown modus due to virus times, but a little video heads up on progress will be made in near future.
For now we are focusing on design on the basic teaspoon, and next up is getting slight up and running.. Hopefully it will be interesting still and people have not forgotten the magic of the teaspoon :) The goal is to make something awesome with quality that is accessible for more people :)
Please take care in crazy times wigglers

Return to “Music Tech DIY”