electronotes/musical engineer's handbook/pcc pdfs

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

galanter2
Common Wiggler

Re: electronotes/musical engineer's handbook/pcc pdfs

Post by galanter2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:32 pm

I don't see how this is relevant. It's Bernie's copyright. He is free to do with it what he wants. The market value of Electronotes has nothing to do with it unless there is a suit and a violation goes to court.

If he wanted a library to take it on as a collection he could donate it plus $5000 to pay for grad student time to digitize it. Then online it goes. A physical archive might not be required at all.

nimaid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nimaid » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Hey all, I just got my copies of MEH, BG-PCC, and a lot of other electronotes. Since my last post, I've learned a lot about preserving paper document stacks. Encapsulating each page in MEH/BG-PCC is not only impractical in terms of thickness, but it could also increase the risk of mold. Plus, any dirt that gets trapped in there will abrade the document over time. With preserving items for a long-term collection, sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something that may cause problems down the line. ("First, do no harm" seems to be the mentality.) The best way I've determined for this to be preserved (and what I've done) is as follows:

I unbound them and split them into archival-quality (acid and lignin-free + alkaline buffered) folders labeled in pencil. These are stored in an archival upright storage box, and this has an archival-quality cardboard spacer. There is no tape, adhesives, pen/marker ink, staples, fasteners, or plastic separators present anywhere. Based on a very small dot I made with a pH testing marker (back of the front cover, bottom corner, hard to notice), the paper for MEH and BG-PCC seems to be acid-free. With this setup and good environmental control, I expect these papers to be well preserved for at least the next 100 years or so.

I've talked with my print shop, and due to the risk of the holes (from the old binding) causing a jam in the machine and damaging the documents, they are scanning them 1 at a time on a flatbed, by hand. I went through all the special instructions (limit oil transfer from hands, turn off automatic image adjustment, etc.), and they're okay with it. It will be $0.40 a page, so the whole scanning job (~620 pages) will be somewhere in the ballpark of $250 or less.

I'll be doing a part-automatic part-manual adjustment process on the images, and will be archiving both a ZIP with the original HD JEPGs (TIFF was impractical for 620 pages), plus the adjusted PDF. I'll be adding a table of contents to the PDF, so I can navigate using the PDF reader easier. I'll also be running a quick automatic OCR on the PDF, but I will not be replacing the original scan image. The OCR text will just be an invisible layer over the image so that I can search for words and copy-paste. OCR accuracy isn't too important here, because it's mainly just for searching keywords and does not impact the appearance of the page at all.

As stated previously, this PDF is just for myself as a "working copy" so that the original can be safely archived. I can not and will not share it. However, I do plan on keeping it safe in my private cloud drive and backed up on an SD card in the archival box with the papers.

The reason I'm going to this trouble is that I see the cultural value in this work, and I want to make sure it sticks around as an accessible piece of electronics history. I'm very hopeful Bernie has plans to preserve his work in some way, but if the worst should happen and he does not make such arrangements before he dies (whenever that may be, hopefully not for a good while), then there is a risk of this being, essentially, "lost media". I truly hope that situation never happens, but if it does, I would like to be able to have a good digital copy and a well-preserved original. I would contact the new copyright holder (if any) and see what they were comfortable with in terms of preservation. Very worst case, nobody gets the copyright, and its 70 years (maybe more) until it's public domain. Honestly, I really hope the copyright holder starts selling them again, but given the low demand, I won't be holding my breath.

As for the physical archive, I plan on someday giving it to an organization that will actually care about classic synth electronics, like a synth museum or electronics history museum, or perhaps some sort of technology-centric library. I don't expect anyone to be desperate to get this in their collection or anything, but still, it's likely some nerdy organization will see the historic and cultural value and take ownership. This would be whenever I am "done" with the materials, as I legally would have to delete/destroy all backups. Even if literally nobody ever cares about these papers, I have been wanting to learn more about the techniques of conservators, and the materials were cheap, so I had fun. :P

loki
Common Wiggler

Post by loki » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 pm

nimaid wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:49 pm
Hey all, I just got my copies of MEH, BG-PCC, and a lot of other electronotes.
I'm glad you've found a solution for your own needs. I pulled my boxed issues of Electronotes off the shelf. The early issues were typed single spaced and then mimeographed. I hate to think about reading a PDF of scans.

You are young and enthusiastic. I would like to suggest that you take leadership and set up a Synthesizer Wiki to create an online replacement for the MEH and PCC. I would be glad to write on various topics for such a Wiki. My synthesizer experience goes back to 1969. In those days I spent many hours in the tech library and I could provide bibliographic references for many common synthesizer topics. Like Bernie I don't see why people haven't found a better substitute for Electronotes. A great deal of material that was published is a rehash of standard EE knowledge. Are you interested creating a Wiki?

nimaid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nimaid » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 pm

loki wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 pm
nimaid wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:49 pm
Hey all, I just got my copies of MEH, BG-PCC, and a lot of other electronotes.
I'm glad you've found a solution for your own needs. I pulled my boxed issues of Electronotes off the shelf. The early issues were typed single spaced and then mimeographed. I hate to think about reading a PDF of scans.

You are young and enthusiastic. I would like to suggest that you take leadership and set up a Synthesizer Wiki to create an online replacement for the MEH and PCC. I would be glad to write on various topics for such a Wiki. My synthesizer experience goes back to 1969. In those days I spent many hours in the tech library and I could provide bibliographic references for many common synthesizer topics. Like Bernie I don't see why people haven't found a better substitute for Electronotes. A great deal of material that was published is a rehash of standard EE knowledge. Are you interested creating a Wiki?
Oh goodness, the PDF scans aren't for reading! That would suck, even on a Kindle! They are so I can CTRL-F, and then print off a specific page or reference a specific figure without having to pull out my huge paper copy. I like to mark up technical stuff like this with notes, and seeing as I don't want to mark the original, a PDF is WAY easier than photocopying. I have 1 flash drive, and it has all 620 pages in it to bring to the printers. That's easier than fiddling with hundreds of pages of pressed wood pulp and scanning the pages by hand each time. (At least, it is for me, but I'm only in my mid 20's so I grew up with digital files instead of physical. I can't tell you how much I hate sifting through pages for the right one, I guess I've been spoiled by CTRL-F and "Goto Page".) PDFs also don't get wet/torn/burned/worn. Finally, if I need to, I CAN whip out my phone anywhere and reference something real quick, even if I don't carry the 310 sheets of paper around with me.

A DIY Synth Wiki isn't a bad idea! However, I have to say I don't have a huge excess of time. I would happily write up various topics as I go through my synth journey, sort of like really well kept notes in a Wiki format, and would love to write up some tutorial-style articles. I'd also be happy to create the wiki on a free hosting site, but there would need to be moderators who would be willing to step up to the plate, because I won't have much time for that. I wouldn't be able to put more than a couple hours a week into writing up pages. What sort of stuff do you have in mind when you say "take leadership"?

For me, the real appeal of The Musical Engineer's Handbook and BG-PCC is that it is a somewhat guided experience. Like, they are in an order such that the concepts build on each other, sort of like a textbook or how-to book would. There's an endless wealth of info on the internet... but only if you already know what to look for. Making a "Beginner's Guide" page on a Wiki with links to other articles and external resources in a curated order is what I would be really excited to help with. It could be inspired by the structure of MEH and BG-PCC, but modernized and with more recent info/designs/parts/practices/etc. And because it's a Wiki, it can constantly evolve with the community (if people keep making new contributions and updating pages).

I dunno, do you think there are enough DIY synth enthusiasts in 2020 who are willing to maintain and contribute to a Wiki?

Let me know what you think.

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:57 pm

If wikis are your thing, you might do better to contribute to https://sdiy.info/ than to create another one.
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.
Latest Web log posting: Genome Jazz

Bernie Hutchins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bernie Hutchins » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:31 pm

Until very recently I knew almost nothing about this Muff Wiggler site – I only have had a few comments forwarded to me, never had seen a full thread, and certainly never posted to it. It is probably bad-form to include a complaint in a first post – unless, we may suppose, it is in response to the bad-form of others already here! So here goes!

I am 75 and thus of the “Boomer” generation: a generation of now proven general accomplishment, wide perspective, self-reliance, unassuming disposition, and hard work. Age and circumstances of resources may well limit our efforts at assigning our resources to the benefit of younger generations such as (particularly) the “Entitled Generation” (be there formally such a group?) – some of whom have apparently posted here, to whom this complaint is specifically directed.

With regard to Electronotes, I have done my share (50 years, 9000 pages – 3000 free online). That some self-important youngster would PREFER all-free, all digitized and redrawn, fully indexed, one-click access; (all characterized as being trivially achievable) displays ignorance of circumstance, lack of thinking, and likely a degree of disrespect.

BTW - I still retain substantial financial interest in EN, not limited to paper inventory; but also such matters as copyright and "blue sky" notions such as trademark (brand-name) and a web presence.

Please do READ what is ALREADY WRITTEN:
http://electronotes.netfirms.com/ENWN57.pdf
along with links therein (including SDIY, June/July 2017), THINK, and then comment. Virtually everything has been addressed.

My sincere thanks to those who have expressed thoughtful kind remarks here.

-Bernie Hutchins

galanter2
Common Wiggler

Post by galanter2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:20 pm

Not sure if you will be checking back here but I'd like to say just one thing and then follow with a bit of context:

Thank you!

At some point in the early 70's I ordered my first Electronotes publications, and at the same time I was learning synthesis at my university on an ARP 2600. Since then I've done a bit of DIY, but more than that it was that early exposure to technical theory that really informed my electronic music composition and production. I found Electronotes fascinating and inspiring, and it literally changed my life. So again…thank you!

Repeater
Phantom Powers

Post by Repeater » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:05 pm

Bernie - I received my flat rate box full of EN from you about 5 years ago and it changed my life too. I have found it to be an incredible living document of the way that electronic music and DIY have evolved over the years, exemplifying both rigorous technical analysis and homespun ingenuity. It was particularly interesting to see the feedback between engineers, musicians and tinkerers engaging with each other's ideas over the years. The variety of perspectives from yourself and all the contributors over the years is just unparalleled in any field that is inherently technical and artistic.

I lost a lot of books when my home flooded last year, but the worst of all was the gut punch I felt reading your work for the last time before I had to throw the majority of it away. I truly hope you find a way to preserve EN for the future in a way that works for you so that others can have a chance to get inspired by your work and I can one day replace what I lost.

If that just isn't possible, you don't have to explain yourself. The lifetime of work you put into EN speaks for itself. I hope you enjoy your retirement.

THANK YOU

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 pm

Bernie Hutchins wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:31 pm
My sincere thanks to those who have expressed thoughtful kind remarks here.
-Bernie Hutchins
And please accept our sincere thanks for all you given the Synth community and all the end-result music world-wide which never would have happened the same way without YOU. THANK YOU. There's probably not a day that goes by in any of our lives without hearing something that was in some way affected by your life's work. Across decades and genres, Electronotes has had an incredible reach. Going so much farther than any notion of SDIY alone.
------------
On the other topic, MuZines seems to be doing good work, and will have at least some real-world understanding of the issues and realities involved. I know nothing of them except as a user of the resources they've made available online.
http://www.muzines.co.uk/

World radio history is another site which has clear experience and capacity in the field of discussion. Again I have no inside knowledge or connection except as a thankful and satisfied user of the services provided.
https://worldradiohistory.com/

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:22 am

Hi Bernie. I was the guy in BC that volunteered to stand in front of the copy machine and scan the pages. As it happens, I never did make any scans. I simply took chunks of Electronotes with me on my various travels and read them on planes, in hotel rooms, etc. What I did do was to take some of the more useful (to me) chunks, punch them with a three-hole punch, and organize them into binders. That made handling them a lot more convenient.

In fact, I didn't buy the Electronotes package personally. The guy for whom I was doing analog design bought it and loaned it to me (with the injunction to "go through this and see if there is anything useful in there that we can use," which I did, and there was). It took me more than a year to finally work up the enthusiasm to break into the Priority Mail boxes that I was storing in my garage and actually look at the stuff (the thought of poring through 1000s of pages was quite daunting to me), but once I got into it, I was able to isolate the parts of it that I was interested in (the analog stuff) and to ignore the stuff I wasn't interested in (the digital stuff). After about three years, I gave it all back to its owner. No, I didn't copy anything for myself -- I know where it is if I ever want to look at it again.
They always said I would be nothin' but a fishhead -- look at me now!

Bernie Hutchins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bernie Hutchins » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:55 pm

A few more comments:
M: = this Muff Wiggler thread; B: = Bernie

THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM
B: One might suppose that the “elephant in the room” here is a huge stack of paper. But the real elephant is the unread and unstudied “COLLECTION” that too many people feel a compulsion to OBTAIN, knowing full-well that objectively speaking it is unlikely it will be used much, or even at all. They just prefer to have it to hand (with an assumed ability to somehow absorb it) with the supposed ability to put it to use. They just WANT the entire collection! Object lesson: 1/3 of EN (3000 pages) is free online – yet there are very few who read ANY of it. Very flattering? So the real elephant is the lack of a real elephant.

COPYRIGHT
M: The claim by Bernie Hutchins that scanning Electronotes would cause the owner of the scanner to own the copyright is also not how copyright works; copyright comes from creation, not format conversion.
B: How silly! Well, where (exactly) did I say that? I didn’t – someone SAID I said it and the misquote was carelessly perpetuated. I said that scanning created (potentially) a new and ILLEGAL “instance” of “ownership” (either sold or given away) of a paper or a digital copy. Theft.
B: As for actual copyright, I remind those here that copyright law has evolved over the 50 years of Electronotes (“first publisher” vs. creator) and my newsletter’s evolution from multiple-authors to single-author (me). Complicated, but unless you are one of my (well-defended) early authors it is, at least, not YOUR copyright.

OFFERS TO TAKE OVER BUSINESS
M: I don't want to sound insensitive in matters of life and death, but someone should buy his stock and buy a license to distribute all forms of media
B: Someone you say! Not everyone (i.e., no one?) is anxious to take over a business with barely break-even potential. Few folks even have the knowledge and/or resources to actually considered it. Despite 20 years (open-ended) of my asking for proposals, no one has made ANY offer at all.
B: Yes, we have had many comments/suggestions including ill-considered request to OCR scan and redraw! My money, my time. Silly assumptions. Assurances about how trivial procedures are! (See SDIY)

OFFERS OF HELP
B: It often sounds best when suggesting the desirability of some project to also suggest a GROUP EFFORT. Everyone just does a few pages of proofing scans. Warm and fuzzy sounding - Kumbaya. In reality, in a test, no one would even proofread 2 pages (details on SDIY).
B: And this rather bizarre comment:
M: I offered to help with some of this stuff a while back and he responded by personally insulting me. I won't make that mistake again.
B: I don’t recall ever crossing paths – let alone crossing swords - with this individual.

FINANCIAL
M: electronotes lasted this long because of the financial reward anything else is bullshit. how many tons of free paper did you give away? how much did bernie give away?
M: When I tried to get a couple of bits from Bernie (think the bits you're after) it turned out that postage for those two would be the same as if he sent a load extra - so he chucked in (for free – though postage costs were quite high to begin) several thick bunches of core electronotes.
B: We were in the habit of stuffing under-filled boxes. Not to mention the 3000 free online pages. You’re welcome.

sneak-thief
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sneak-thief » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Dear Bernie - we are all standing on the shoulders of giants like you. Thank you for your lifetime of contributions and ingenuity.

Cheers,

Michel
http://involucija.org - post-industrial euphoric deprogramming. LP coming soon on a+w.

nimaid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nimaid » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:34 pm

Before I give an update (in a second separate post), I'd like to say a few things to Bernie publicly.

Bernie:

I hope I haven't caused too much undue hassle for you in my efforts. I didn't know much about copyright and whatnot, and I truly do want to thank you for taking the time and effort to explain this all to me. I did read all of the pages and related notes you sent me, and after a second and third read through, I agree with you on all points! There was one particular paragraph that originally confused me (regarding the copyright of format converted materials), but after reading deeper into the context (using an office scanner they didn't own), I agree.

Between the free material and the paper copies I got, you've given me a wealth of information to explore and learn from over the coming years. Looking at the paste-ups, the handwritten page numbers/corrections/paragraphs, the helpful explanations, and so on makes it obvious how much you've invested into these.

To be clear,
  • I want you to get as much compensation as possible for your efforts.
  • I don't want to make you do any work (or invest any time/money) you don't want to. You've done a staggering amount already over the years.
  • We all owe you a huge debt of gratitude. It is astounding how much theory and rigor EN has, and you have never sold any of it at a substantial profit. (I know how expensive paper can get!)
  • I hope there is a way truly enthusiastic newcomers can get a copy, but only if you authorize it and get compensated, and want to do the sale.
  • I do not want this info to be freely available (unless you want it to be). You have all rights to it and deserve to be paid for it.
  • I agree that authorizing any PDF copies is likely to lower the market value (pirated copies), and therefore PDFs are not suitable for distribution.
  • I do not want to make any pie-in-the-sky business proposals or suggest unrealistic community efforts.
  • I do not want to suggest how you ought to handle your property/business.
  • If there is anything I can do as a volunteer to make any part of your efforts strictly easier, I would be eager to.
  • -- I don't agree to do a task unless I know I can (and will) commit the time and effort to complete it. I don't want to waste either of our time.
  • -- As I said, I am beyond grateful for your countless contributions over the years. If possible, would like to make EN easier for you in any way possible by contributing my own personal time/effort.
  • -- See my post immediately after this one for an example of the sorts of arduous tasks I am most comfortable with taking on and doing well.
  • -- If there is nothing you need help with, I will happily leave it at that.
All that being said, I just want to thank you again. I'm not just "collecting" these, I'm working through them. There's just so, so much good stuff in one place, exactly the sort of "synthesizer electronics textbooks" I've been looking for. (I want to specifically mention how revolutionary reading your construction practices [Part 2-3 of EBG] was to me and my prototyping. Absolutely brilliant, I was making it so much more complicated than it needed to be for the sake of unnecessary "neatness"!)

Best wishes,
Ella

nimaid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nimaid » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:34 pm

[EDIT FOR GOOGLE USERS]: Up-to-date information can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=125405&p=3309905#p3309905

This is the post with the actual updates. I have been working very hard the past week or so since I got the scans back. I had them turn off image processing, so the scans were a tad grey/dull, with some shadowing. But that means I can process them myself to get the best possible final result.

Step 1: Making the PDF creation program (no Photoshop or Acrobat needed!)
► Show Spoiler
So making that program was a huge pain, but now I can automatically "re-build" the PDF with different image cleaning settings, different bookmark structures/names, add/remove pages without having to re-number bookmark references, etc. And I don't have to pay for a PDF editing program or use an image editor at all, so that's a plus.

Step 2: Sorting the images into nested folders, with bookmark names (A.K.A. folder hell)
► Show Spoiler
So this was also a huge pain. However, I finished all that today, and I am extremely jazzed to say that I have a beautifully bookmarked and accurately cleaned PDF of EBG&PCC that I made with my original copy. I have yet to do MEH, but now that I have EBG&PCC under my belt, I sort of have the muscle memory for sorting the pages and making the .name files. Plus, the MEH seems to have a much less complex structure, so there should be less nesting and splits. Even though the MEH is maybe 1.5 times the size of EBG&PCC, I think I can finish it by next week.

Here's a screenshot example of the PDF bookmarks:
► Show Spoiler
All of this is to say that, while I can not, will not, and will never share the actual content of the non-public Electronotes, I can and will share my work in digitizing my copy. This is in the hopes that, should you wish to make backups for yourself, it will be MUCH easier than it was for me.

So without further ado, here is my detailed table of contents for Electronotes - Builder's Guide & Preferred Circuits Collection:
► Show Spoiler
This includes blank pages, so this is an "absolute" count. The page numbers match up with the handwritten ones on the actual notes.

Instructions for creating a PDF:
► Show Spoiler
Here is what the front page looks like before and after purification. Notice the drastically reduced filesize even though it is converting from a lossy to lossless image format. The power of 1-bit color. Notice also how the 1-bit color provides absolute contrast.
► Show Spoiler
I'll share the Musical Engineer's Handbook table of contents and empty directory structure when I get around to finishing them.

One last note on OCR: There is an easy to use Python library called ocrmypdf that will make a PDF searchable in one line of code. I did this with my PDF manually, but will likely be adding it as a feature in bookdir2pdf. Of course, the OCR is terrible for re-formatting the document, but as an invisible overlay, it's pretty good. Most lines of text are converted correctly enough that they're very useful for searching through the document with keywords. Does it get every word right? No. Does it look absolutely terrible if you copy/paste? Yes. But it is pretty useful and doesn't change how the document looks at all. And again, it's 1 line of code, so why not?

I hope this is helpful. If you can get a used copy, hopefully, this will let you back it up without too much issue. If the program isn't working right, please open a GitHub issue.
Last edited by nimaid on Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cygmu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cygmu » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:42 am

Wow, thanks for the table of contents, and the link to ocrmypdf. It seems to do a pretty great job.

On the topic of indexing, I hope everyone is aware of Tim Stinchcombe's online index of the main electronotes material:
http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/synth/E ... _index.txt

nimaid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nimaid » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:16 am

cygmu wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:42 am
Wow, thanks for the table of contents, and the link to ocrmypdf. It seems to do a pretty great job.

On the topic of indexing, I hope everyone is aware of Tim Stinchcombe's online index of the main electronotes material:
http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/synth/E ... _index.txt
I was not, thank you! I think I'll actually send that table of contents in CSV form to Tim Stinchcombe to see if he wants to add the EBG&PCC + MEH table of contents. :)

Bernie Hutchins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bernie Hutchins » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:33 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:48 pm

Well, Bernie, I read hundreds of pages of Electronotes. In fact, I believe that I read virtually all of the analog bits. I simply wasn't interested in the digital bits. I read every word of the Preferred Circuits Collection and the Musical Engineer's Handbook, and quite a lot of the other analog stuff not in those two. It was several years ago, now, so I don't remember exactly what I read, but it was a lot and it took a while.

I got some real use out of it, as well. Probably the main thing that I learned was how a Bode frequency shifter works, and more specifically, how to build a 90-degree phase displacement network. For the actual design, I turned to a free software on the internet called QuadNet, but the answers it gave were pretty close to those in the EN frequency shifter write-up. I did something completely different for the oscillator and the multipliers, but the conceptual information was priceless. The whole reason why I consulted EN for this was that I had tried to build a Weaver frequency shifter and had failed utterly. I didn't want to just copy what was in EN (because that is my biggest taboo in electronic design -- I try never to copy anybody) but I was exasperated. The thing that surprised me was just how straightforward the Bode frequency shifter concept was, and how easy it was to implement using fairly simple circuitry.
They always said I would be nothin' but a fishhead -- look at me now!

nimaid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nimaid » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:44 pm

So I decided to actually go through MEH and type up every section, chapter, and sub-sections of that chapter, which was substantially more work than I originally planned. However, now I have a "birds-eye view" of MEH, and me going through it was a great way to get familiar with the structure and topics presented. I definitely have a clearer plan-of-attack in terms of digging in.

I also cleaned up the EBG&PCC ToC a bit. They are both formatted with line wrapping now so you don't have lines going off of the screen.

Musical Engineer's Handbook Table of Contents:
► Show Spoiler
Builder's Guide & Preferred Circuits Collection Table of Contents:
► Show Spoiler
I have also made a public GitHub repository with the metadata I have created in my efforts. This contains:
  • Bookmarked PDFs with blank placeholder pages
    • This is an easy way to browse the Table of Contents as a collapsable tree
    • MEH
    • EBG&PCC
  • "Bookdirs" with [PAGE #].blank files instead of .jpg files
    • This can be used to build the aforementioned PDF with bookdir2pdf
    • To make a PDF with your own scans, replace the [PAGE #].blank files with the appropriate .png, .jpg, or .gif image scans
    • MEH
    • EBG&PCC
  • Table of Contents files (also made with bookdir2pdf)
    • .txt file with same Table of Contents text as in the above spoilers
    • [COMING SOON]: .csv file with page number, nesting (indent) level, and bookmark name
    • [COMING SOON]: .pdf file which is formatted for printing
I'll update this post with new information on any metadata that I make, so as to avoid spamming the thread. Let me know if you found this helpful, or if you want the Table of Contents formatted differently.

Efudd
Common Wiggler

Post by Efudd » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:14 pm

I was completely unaware of Electronotes until reading an interview in Waveform issue #1 last night.

I found this thread after inquiring w/ Mr. Hutchins about availability now or in the future. Music/electronics are a hobby for me, a long term interest where I'm able to spend time as I can. I'll cull through the online/free material for the time being but am interested in the historical evolution of the content as well and hope to get a chance to purchase a copy.

On a side note, if anyone has a set they no longer want, I'm interested. :)

EasyNightly
1-Post Wiggler

Post by EasyNightly » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:24 pm

After reading through most of this thread I thought to myself (after asking Bernie how to get my hands on a copy of MEH), would it be possible to do a sort of crowdfunding thing to buy Electronotes IP? Maybe I’m way off base, and I’m sorry if this is ignorant in any way...

Also, I would be interested in a used copy if anyone is selling as well!

sanjaac
1-Post Wiggler

Post by sanjaac » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:30 am

The crowdfounding idea makes sense. Would support it.

Parallel, interested also in buying a used copy (Europe) if one wants to sell.

Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Starspawn » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:27 am

Just let the guy manage his stuff as he likes is an option as well I assume? ;)

Rob Kam
Common Wiggler

Post by Rob Kam » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:50 pm

EasyNightly wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:24 pm
After reading through most of this thread I thought to myself (after asking Bernie how to get my hands on a copy of MEH), would it be possible to do a sort of crowdfunding thing to buy Electronotes IP?
At last a sensible suggestion. Somebody has to organise this. If all of those people who want a full set of EN were to pledge monies, how much will that come to?

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:34 pm

This -crowd sourcing- has been suggested and attempted numerous times over many years. As Bernie already shared in this thread. That doesn't mean it couldn't work, but it *does* mean that "somebody" should do it, doesn't get very far. Or at least hasn't gotten any results in the past.

As he said above, He's asked for years and years to hear any real numbers. And has not gotten any. Can't blame him for thinking this is more likely to repeat than change.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”