[Project] Music Thing Radio Music 4hp sample player

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

col
Veteran Wiggler

Re: [Project] Music Thing Radio Music 4hp sample player

Post by col » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:05 am

Teensy 3.2 is fine. Last ones I bought were from Mouser.

BartBral
Common Wiggler

Post by BartBral » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:05 am

col wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:52 pm
BartBral wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:27 am
Jumbuktu wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:34 am
I seem to have just fried my second Radio Music. Was removing it from the rack while powered up so I could adjust the trimmer to reduce gain and distortion. When I put it back, I must have shorted some pins against the adjacent module's faceplate - it's dead now.

I removed the Teensy and TL074 and did the voltage tests. Zero voltage anywhere. Suggests I have blown something in the power supply. Any suggestions what to replace?
Maybe try L1 and L2...
I doubt that the ferrite beads or resistors would have blown, especially seeing that there are two reset-able fuses. Try swapping out the teensy with the "other" Radio Music.
I meant the fuses as well... But in the schematics it is very unclear what the fuses are called (they are not named at all). So I mistakenly thought they where called Lx...
:doh: Sorry for that!

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

smiler wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:05 am
Jumbuktu wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:49 am
Follow up question: Does it have to be a teensy 3.1? Don't seem to be many around now. 3.2 or later.
I have a 3.2 in mine. I think the only difference between 3.1 and 3.2 is that the 3.2 have a beefed up on-board regulator so it can drive more hardware off its 3.3V regulator.
Thanks!

apfEID
electro-vivisection

Post by apfEID » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:39 pm

Is anyone working on a higher fidelity version of Radio Music?

It does so much of what I want that other sample players literally can't, but the noise floor really restricts what kind of sounds I can use it with.
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://anthonysaunders.bandcamp.com/

TMOTM
1-Post Wiggler

Post by TMOTM » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:14 pm

hey wigglers

I just built a radio music (chord organ actually) and I`m wondering if people still strap a 100k resistor in parallel to C4 as mentioned here:
https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMusic/issues/70

i have red rev 2 pcb from thonk. I couldn't quite figure out if this is still needed or not.
can anybody help me with some insight on this ?

hyprboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hyprboy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:20 am

Does anyone has this issue still? I got a new Radio Music with Teensy 3.2 but cannot get any decent sample out of it. At least not with firmware 7.x
Older firmware seems to work but these don't support wav files etc.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=214532&p=3351852#p3351852

razzkazz
Common Wiggler

Post by razzkazz » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:18 am

Apologies for the super basic question. When a piece of audio loops back around, is this completely smooth/no click? I've read about fade in/out and de-click functionality. Any difference on short versus longer files?

I have read the manual and have watched a few videos, so I think the answer is yes, but just want to be sure ;)

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:01 am

I have mine looping with no clicks.

razzkazz
Common Wiggler

Post by razzkazz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:33 pm

Thanks. Good to hear :)

pulpum
Common Wiggler

Post by pulpum » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:54 am

is there any mod or module to have radio music with a pitch option on current playing sample?

(I know the pitch update config but I mean another knob or something that can keep start position knob)

razzkazz
Common Wiggler

Post by razzkazz » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:03 pm

Is there any Tiptop One versus Radio Thing discussion on the site? Or if anyone wants to chime in here. I've researched both modules, alternative firmwares is definitely sweet, but as I would get one of these modules for sample playback, sound quality might be a concern. The One can be used for CV as well, but not sure I need that. Low latency trigger is also useful on the One, but again, not a dealbreaker at the minute. In my current setup I would be using it to input audio into Clouds (Monsoon) and Rings.

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:14 am

razzkazz wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:03 pm
Is there any Tiptop One versus Radio Thing discussion on the site? Or if anyone wants to chime in here. I've researched both modules, alternative firmwares is definitely sweet, but as I would get one of these modules for sample playback, sound quality might be a concern. The One can be used for CV as well, but not sure I need that. Low latency trigger is also useful on the One, but again, not a dealbreaker at the minute. In my current setup I would be using it to input audio into Clouds (Monsoon) and Rings.
I have both, One is better for the very low latency, pitchshifting quality and integrated level control. RM is better for the file navigation with banks it's easier to find the file you need.

jgoney
Common Wiggler

Post by jgoney » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:25 pm

Regarding the B50k pots (TIME_POT and CHANNEL_POT)....do they strictly need to be 50k? I could be misunderstanding, but it doesn't seem like the pot value should really matter. I have a bunch of B10k pots, but Thonk is out of the B50k ones.

jgoney
Common Wiggler

Post by jgoney » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:49 am

jgoney wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:25 pm
Regarding the B50k pots (TIME_POT and CHANNEL_POT)....do they strictly need to be 50k? I could be misunderstanding, but it doesn't seem like the pot value should really matter. I have a bunch of B10k pots, but Thonk is out of the B50k ones.
I heard from Tom at MusicThing, and according to him other values should be fine, so long as the pots are linear.

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:00 am

I bought a second hand Radio Music recently and it seems to have an issue with the station knob. If it is anywhere from CCW to approx 2pm I think it is constantly retriggering as the reset light flickers all the time. Past 2pm or so it operates fine, no noticeable problems.

Can anyone suggest what I need to look at to try and solve this? Is it a wonky pot maybe? I'm not a particularly experienced builder although I have built a handful of kits and I'm not really sure what to do.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”