[Project] Music Thing Radio Music 4hp sample player

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

oootini
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oootini » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:09 am

kind of late to the party with this one, but i am totally blown with radio music.

i think it is the quintessential modular synthesis module of our time - if we had to fire a single module into space on a voyager probe to describe modular synthesis in the 21st century, i think it would be this module.

everything about it from the open source nature of the design, to how the module is in use, to how we load it with sounds from the internet; just makes it so very zeitgeist.

it's like a cipher for everything in the here and now in 4hp + teeny tiny sd card.

haha. occured to me last night while listening to marina abramovich talking softly over some triangle waves... :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar:

MDK
Common Wiggler

Post by MDK » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:57 am

Ok, im sure the name is a problem for the Radio Music.

Change it to something with just latin characters and let me know if it works.

flab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flab » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:25 am

ok that was it , thanks you again for the quick response

guestt

Post by guestt » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:45 am

Posted this in the tips, ideas thread in the Euro forum, but thought i should repeat it here as I am really happy with how it has worked out:

I have built so many of these things now it's getting a bit silly - but I've learned enough about the build process to do a little experiment and I thought others who are building this module may like to do this, because it really does help:

When installing the pin headers to connect the panel pcb to the main pcb do one of them the opposite way to the other.

i.e. solder a male and female pin header on each pcb, so the panel pcb had a male part on one side and a female part on the other, same for the main pcb.

You will still want to connect them all up before soldering, but when you do it this way the reliability of the connection is improved considerably.

You can still push the main pcb in a bit, but it's a much firmer connection and you need to push quite a bit harder before the pins come out.

The end result is that the whole module feels more solid!

Unless anyone requests otherwise, any I build from now on will use this method - it looks a bit weird when the pcbs are separated - but erm... you shouldn't be separating them very often, if at all!

This is totally unnecessary for the pin headers that connect the teensy to the main pcb - that connection is solid enough anyway, so I recommend that they are done the usual way.

dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:41 am

This is a great idea! I've only built four of them but they do have a tendency to jostle loose otherwise and start to separate.

I'd taken to putting a small zip tie around the boards but this makes them wider so it's a little tight when mounting or taking it out. Takes a little wiggling to get one side in and then the other.

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:31 pm

Quote:
Hey I am having an issue with the new firmware, I have it on one-shot and sometimes it just starts triggering things super fast even when there is nothing plugged in. All of the other controls react normally. This never happened when I was using the stock firmware. Any suggestions?

Still having issues with the new firmware. I modified the config file so that the module can only be triggered from the reset input and not by changing samples when modulating the tuner CV, however whenever I trigger a reset with literally no modulation it is changing samples every time. The weird thing is that changing the tuner knob has little to no effect in many cases but changing incoming modulation signals will have an effect (when I plug them in, again normally I am not modulating the tuner input at all and the samples are still changing with little difference when I change the tuner knob). I would say its a faulty build but I never had any issues before installing the newer firmware.

For reference here are my settings:

crossfade=1
crossfadeTime=50
showMeter=1
chanPotImmediate=1
chanCVImmediate=1
startPotImmediate=0
startCVImmediate=0
looping=0
anyAudioFiles=1
pitchMode=1
hardSwap=1
quantizeRootPot=0
quantizeRootCV=0
startCVDivider=1

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 pm

I believe this should be 0

chanCVImmediate=0

That way when you apply cv it will not change automatically without the reset trigger.

Right now you have it on:

chanCVImmediate=1

diode_destroyer
Common Wiggler

Post by diode_destroyer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:30 pm

I just soldered one of these up and the knobs don't seem to do anything. Plays music and reset button resets or (hold) changes banks. Leds work (shows bank and then vu meter). But the knobs don't do anything. Checked voltage on pots and all seems right (3.3 volts and middle leg varies with knob position). Tried both Radio_Music_2017.2.hex and RadioMusic1_1.cpp.hex with teensy loader 1.33 on windows 7. Teensy that came with thonk kit is 3.2. I'm usually pretty good about soldering, right components in right place, etc (I've built a lot of stuff and this is the first thing I've had an issue with). Any ideas? Thanks.

Seven Experiments
Common Wiggler

Post by Seven Experiments » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Just a quick question.

I have a Radio Music module with the old firmware, haven't updated.

Is there a setting in the setting file that would add (an attack like setting) or something? Just to get rid of little clicks that sometime happen when triggering stations.

It is not huge problem, just trying to figure out if there is a setting. kinda like when using a sampler or even a synth if there is a click you can increase attack or release and the usually takes care of it.

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:15 pm

From Wiki on GitHub

DECLICK

If MUTE is true, then the audio fades for the number of milliseconds in DECLICK. If you set this to 200, the fades are very audible.
If DECLICK is high and you repeatedly trigger changes, the audio may appear to be constantly faded out - it will never get loud enough to hear
Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

Seven Experiments
Common Wiggler

Post by Seven Experiments » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:34 am

Thank you, will try that.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:54 pm

I´m playing around with the new firmware but the module keeps freezing, making knobs and the button not do anything. This happens if i boot it with something modulating START or when I, after having booted it with nothing plugged in, turn the STATION pot (switching sample) while something is modulating START. :hmm:

I've tried different SD cards and the problem is still there.
My samples are single cycle waveforms, so really short wavs.

Anyone else having this behaviour with the new firmware?

MDK
Common Wiggler

Post by MDK » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:29 pm

its really not designed to handle single cycle waveforms.

the issue will be that its reading the data from the SD card every cycle rather than keeping the data in memory. SD card seeks are very expensive in CPU time, so it's basically locking up the CPU.

I'm hoping to deal with this situation sometime in the near future although it will more likely be as part of the Chord Organ firmware rather than Radio Music as Chord Organ is built around playing short waveform cycles already.

Mrs_Audio_Boy
Learning to Wiggle

LEDs too dim

Post by Mrs_Audio_Boy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:09 am

I am enjoying my Radio Music very much, but I am confused because the LEDs are too dim when compared with other modules. Has anyone else encountered this issue and if so, how could one solve that?

Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: LEDs too dim

Post by Tombola » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:34 am

Mrs_Audio_Boy wrote:I am enjoying my Radio Music very much, but I am confused because the LEDs are too dim when compared with other modules. Has anyone else encountered this issue and if so, how could one solve that?
If you look at the schematics: https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMus ... Schematics

on the Front board, the LEDs have 5 x matching resistors: R11 R12 R13 R14 R15 - these are 1.5k by default. If you've accidentally put a different value in (15k?) they'll be very dim. If they are 1.5k but you want brighter LEDs, reduce them to 470ohms or something like that.

Tom

Mrs_Audio_Boy
Learning to Wiggle

Re: LEDs too dim

Post by Mrs_Audio_Boy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:31 am

Tombola wrote: If you look at the schematics: https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMus ... Schematics on the Front board, the LEDs have 5 x matching resistors: R11 R12 R13 R14 R15 - these are 1.5k by default. If you've accidentally put a different value in (15k?) they'll be very dim. If they are 1.5k but you want brighter LEDs, reduce them to 470ohms or something like that.
Thank you very much, Tom, I'll give it a go!

tito_tunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tito_tunes » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 pm

I recently bought one of these used and it seems that there's an issue with the CV in jacks. The voltage doesn't get sensed unless it's very high (around 8v) and even then it warbles and doesn't hold static. This cause the pitch to warble and samples to randomly change, or not at all. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Also I have another question: in a fully functional Radio Music with the newest firmware, how accurate is the volt/oct pitch tracking and how many octaves do you get? Thanks!

I love this module, even despite mine not working fully. I just ordered parts to build a second one. Thanks Tom Whitwell and everyone who's has contributed.

PS if anyone has a grayscale panel I'd love to buy it :)
danielriera.bandcamp.com

MDK
Common Wiggler

Post by MDK » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:41 am

With pitch quantisation on then I can get very consistent pitch tracking.

If you use 1v/oct then the range will be about 39 semitones, maybe 38.

Eric G
Common Wiggler

Post by Eric G » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:17 am

Hi all! Been away for a while...

Now:
I want to control loop on/off with a HW switch instead of the loop value in the config file. Connecting a switch to a free GPIO.
But the firmware... I'm not a programmer.
Is there anyone here that could do a hero's deed and tell me how to modify the code?
Please?

tito_tunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tito_tunes » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:27 pm

I figured out why my CV inputs were acting glitchy. The unit had been in use for a while without the extra resistor fix and the opamp had gotten fried. Replacing the opamp seems to have fixed it.
danielriera.bandcamp.com

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:59 pm

quick question: sometimes i get a static garbling sound like the file is being scrubbed back to the beginning or something. i caught the behavior on video. the sample was just playing from the beginning with no modulation, just a trigger every now and then to reset it.. i'm wondering if it is the SD card before i go and buy another one and it doesn't work. anyone else see this behavior? the firmware and config file are both newer ones downloaded from polyfather.. SD card is a 16gb samsung..

edit:
found this discussion, and it seems the solution is to not use cheapie cards. maybe i'll swap it anyway even though samsung is supposed to be good.
https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMusic/issues/122

[video][/video]

sleepgardens
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepgardens » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:51 am

Hey guys, do you have any insight on why I don't seem to be able to upload the 2017 firmware with wav support and start control on my Radio Music? Now it has 2017 firmware with wav support and pitch control. I tried downloading the right firmware from the configurator website and uploading seem succesfull but I still get pitch control with the start knob...

Supervillain
Common Wiggler

Post by Supervillain » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Tombola wrote:A couple of new ideas & requests for help in the issue log:

Polyphonic mode

Live FM Radio reception expander
Any new about that poly mode ?

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Sorry, please ignore. I think I wrote something wrong.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:04 pm

Okay, I write it, even if I cannot check it right now. Nothing can go wrong anyway if I say something stupid.
sleepgardens wrote:Hey guys, do you have any insight on why I don't seem to be able to upload the 2017 firmware with wav support and start control on my Radio Music? Now it has 2017 firmware with wav support and pitch control. I tried downloading the right firmware from the configurator website and uploading seem succesfull but I still get pitch control with the start knob...
I think the variable called "pitchMode" in the settings text file on your SD Card should be set to false:
pitchMode=0
You can check if it is.

Just change it back if it's not related.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”