[Project] Music Thing Radio Music 4hp sample player

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

felart
1-Post Wiggler

Post by felart » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi, start pot and start cv are not working with my radio music kit.

I checked solder and resistor value but with no success.

Do you have an idea to solve this problem?

Thanks!

hel1
Common Wiggler

Post by hel1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:08 am

what a lovely module this is!
yesterday evening I built it, and just now I had the chance to put in some files and banks and did a short test.

it seems to be one of the modules that was missing in my rack, more than I realized. it ads a lot of atmosfere to the setup.
I had a recording of a tractor with tracks crisscrossing through the winefields as a kind of drone, and then I realised that this was exactly what I needed.
great!

the build isn't too difficult. just take your time, be careful and check everything twice.
I was a bit afraid of the whole Teensy-thing because that part of electronics is something I do not know much about, but it is pretty straightforward.

so, I can only recommend this module

degeneratedsines
Common Wiggler

Post by degeneratedsines » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:18 pm

Yes, the only downside is that the module doesn't always power on with some power supplies. It didn't happen to me but to someone I built the module for, so it gave it back to me. He was using a Doepfer PSU3 while I am using an Erica Synths linear PSU. I guess it would be nice in next revision to add the same fix as what has been done in Ornament & Crime.

rthorntn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rthorntn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:04 am

Tombola wrote:
STOJ wrote:I am sourcing parts for this build and I want to order some parts from spiratronics but
200ma poly fuse is sold out. Can I use 250ma fuse as a substitute?
Yes, that will be no problem
A big thank you for creating this module, have some spare 100ma polyfuses, will they be ok?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:45 am

degeneratedsines wrote:Yes, the only downside is that the module doesn't always power on with some power supplies. It didn't happen to me but to someone I built the module for, so it gave it back to me. He was using a Doepfer PSU3 while I am using an Erica Synths linear PSU. I guess it would be nice in next revision to add the same fix as what has been done in Ornament & Crime.
That's REALLY interesting. It definitely sounds like the teensy hang up and the supervisor should fix it as well

magnetsandlasers
Common Wiggler

Post by magnetsandlasers » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:31 pm

I guess search still isn’t working, so please forgive if this question is addressed elsewhere. If I have a short (3-5 second) sample loaded and looping for a few days, that sample seems like it “wears out” or becomes corrupted, the sound stuttering and degrading. The first time this happened, I power cycled the module but the corruption seems permanent. Then I chose a different sample and after a few days it too suffered the same problem. When I go back to the original sample, it also still has the problem. The samples on either side are unaffected. Can anyone explain what is going on?

magnetsandlasers
Common Wiggler

Post by magnetsandlasers » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:05 am

magnetsandlasers wrote:I guess search still isn’t working, so please forgive if this question is addressed elsewhere. If I have a short (3-5 second) sample loaded and looping for a few days, that sample seems like it “wears out” or becomes corrupted, the sound stuttering and degrading. The first time this happened, I power cycled the module but the corruption seems permanent. Then I chose a different sample and after a few days it too suffered the same problem. When I go back to the original sample, it also still has the problem. The samples on either side are unaffected. Can anyone explain what is going on?
Relistened and it seems like some of the samples on either side were indeed affected. Still not sure about what's going on, maybe I'm using the wrong words to search the Googles? Not really knowledgeable in the realm of SD cards and the like but had the impression they could degrade when repeatedly rewritten (though I thought that would take a loooong time) but never heard anything about degradation through read-only use. Anyone else experience this?

sneak-thief
Ultra Wiggler

I2S Output to external DAC

Post by sneak-thief » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:26 am

I'd like to try using an external PCM5102 DAC (see link below) with Radio Music: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCM5102-ASSEMB ... 3101429931

Am I missing anything?

1. These are the pins that are needed for I2S:

// PCM5102 - Teensy
// VCC Vin [5V]
// GND GND
// LRCK Pin 23 (A9)
// DIN Pin 22 (A8)
// BCK Pin 9 (D9)

Therefore 3 would have to be physically rerouted:
Reset CV (Pin 9) D9 -> move to D2
Channel CV (Pin 22) A9 -> move to A5
Channel Pot (Pin 23) A8 -> move to A4
#define CHAN_POT_PIN A5 // pin for Channel pot
#define CHAN_CV_PIN A6 // pin for Channel CV
#define TIME_POT_PIN A7 // pin for Time pot
#define TIME_CV_PIN A4 // pin for Time CV
#define RESET_BUTTON 8 // Reset button
#define RESET_CV 2 // Reset pulse input
- https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMus ... nterface.h

2. Audio would have to be rerouted to i2s1 in the code:
// Audio engine definitions.
SDPlayPCM playRaw1;
SDPlayPCM playRaw2;
AudioEffectFade fade1;
AudioEffectFade fade2;
AudioMixer4 mixer;
AudioAnalyzePeak peak1;

// AudioOutputAnalog dac1;
AudioOutputI2S i2s1; // I2S Added

AudioConnection patchCord1;
AudioConnection patchCord2;
AudioConnection patchCord3;
AudioConnection patchCord4;
AudioConnection patchCord5;
AudioConnection patchCord6;

elapsedMillis prevAudioElapsed;
boolean eof = false;

AudioEngine() :
patchCord1(playRaw1, fade1),
patchCord2(playRaw2, fade2),
patchCord3(fade1, 0, mixer, 0),
patchCord4(fade2, 0, mixer, 1),
patchCord5(mixer, 0, i2s1, 0), // dac1 changed to I2S
patchCord6(mixer, 0, peak1, 0){
- https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMus ... ioEngine.h
http://sneak-thief.com - raw electro-funk!

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:40 am

magnetsandlasers wrote:The samples on either side are unaffected. Can anyone explain what is going on?
(...)

Relistened and it seems like some of the samples on either side were indeed affected.
When you say "looping for a few days", the system is powered on a few days long and the sample keeps looping, then the sound is affected after a few days?

I wish I could help, but what means on either side exactly? I don't understand.
FS: New Orgone Accumulator MK2 for BugBrand/FRAC
-----------------------------------
www.batchas.com

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: I2S Output to external DAC

Post by mxmxmx » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:14 am

sneak-thief wrote:I'd like to try using an external PCM5102 DAC (see link below) with Radio Music: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCM5102-ASSEMB ... 3101429931

Am I missing anything?

"using" = attaching the above board to an existing module? in that case it might be easier to use a different set of pins for i2s (ie w/ less rerouting):

I2S0_TX_BCLK is available on pins 9, 24, 32
I2S0_TXD0 on pins 3, 22
I2S0_TX_FS/LRCLK on pins 4, 23, 25

sneak-thief
Ultra Wiggler

Re: I2S Output to external DAC

Post by sneak-thief » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:11 pm

mxmxmx wrote:
sneak-thief wrote:I'd like to try using an external PCM5102 DAC (see link below) with Radio Music: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCM5102-ASSEMB ... 3101429931

Am I missing anything?

"using" = attaching the above board to an existing module? in that case it might be easier to use a different set of pins for i2s (ie w/ less rerouting):

I2S0_TX_BCLK is available on pins 9, 24, 32
I2S0_TXD0 on pins 3, 22
I2S0_TX_FS/LRCLK on pins 4, 23, 25
1. I was just waiting for someone to mention that - heh. Here's how to use different pins: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/46719-Fi ... post155500

2. Re. "I2S0_TXD0 on pins 3, 22" - since Radio Music uses both 3 (LED1) and 22 (Channel CV), one or the other will have to be rerouted.

32 and 25 are on the back so that's two less pins to reroute if you want to mess with the I2S pin config.

3. I'll probably only use one of the DAC's channels and reroute it through 14 (Teensy DAC).

4. Another option funny option would be to only reroute and configure either pin 22 or pin 3 to be I2S0_TXD0. Then you connect a jumper wire between 3 or 22 and pin 13... the LED!

Stick a TOSLINK cable in the vicinity and you get an S/PDIF output with only 1 wire rerouted:
:yay:

- https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/28639-S- ... #post75585

Then use a cheapo TOSLINK/S/PDIF DAC like this:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Digital-Optical ... 2978555019
http://sneak-thief.com - raw electro-funk!

col
Wiggling with Experience

Post by col » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
degeneratedsines wrote:Yes, the only downside is that the module doesn't always power on with some power supplies. It didn't happen to me but to someone I built the module for, so it gave it back to me. He was using a Doepfer PSU3 while I am using an Erica Synths linear PSU. I guess it would be nice in next revision to add the same fix as what has been done in Ornament & Crime.
That's REALLY interesting. It definitely sounds like the teensy hang up and the supervisor should fix it as well
My Radio Music has the same problem in a Arturia Rackbrute 6U. Is there a simple fix?

lohacker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:26 am

col wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:
My Radio Music has the same problem in a Arturia Rackbrute 6U. Is there a simple fix?
You can try to power up your case without the micro SD inserted, it's a bit annoying but it worked for me.

eewee
Common Wiggler

Post by eewee » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:35 am

I bought a WMD Soft Start a few months ago, and connected my Radio Music through it (to a Doepfer DIY bus). It has started reliably ever since, even with the sd card plugged in.
:party:
Why, say she now, is I not glean that one may say of thing while thing is not.
(Alan Moore, Voice of the Fire)

f33d
Wiggling with Experience

Post by f33d » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:06 am

Hey there RM-community - I wanted to ask if somebody is doing something with Teensy 4.0 in regards to the Radio Music?

My wishes would be
- Stereo
- Pitch input without sacrificing Start
- dedicated Pitch-Knob
- acceptance of > 32 GB-cards

= infinite, instant, pitchable sample pool

A little lazy of me just to post my wishes, but who knows...

loopt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by loopt » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:53 am

Has the UTA Firmware feature ever been completed?
I'd like to be able to switch between Radio Music and Chord Organ.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:33 pm

What voltages are the Radio Music supposed to accept on the CV inputs? Mine seems to react from 0-3.7V

Spin2Win
1-Post Wiggler

Re: [Project] Music Thing Radio Music 4hp sample player

Post by Spin2Win » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:03 pm

Still looking for info on the Teensy 4.0. It looks like it is pin compatible with the Teensy 3.2. Should it work out of the box? I'm ordering parts for this now, and would love to go with the latest and greatest!

Rob

skautkurt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skautkurt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:07 am

Spin2Win wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:03 pm
Still looking for info on the Teensy 4.0. It looks like it is pin compatible with the Teensy 3.2. Should it work out of the box? I'm ordering parts for this now, and would love to go with the latest and greatest!

Rob
They are not quite compatible, actually. One problem of the Teensy 4.0 is the missing onboard DAC, so you would need an external one. Also especially the pins on the short side changed around quite dramatically. edit: they didn´t change that much, sorry.
If you want to be sure about getting a working module you should go with the 3.2 :)

andandand
Learning to Wiggle

Post by andandand » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Anyone know of sound libraries for radio music?

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:18 pm

andandand wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Anyone know of sound libraries for radio music?
this is the default library.. but stuff i have fun with is drum kits, noise sources, and classical music.

https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMus ... he-SD-Card

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:21 pm

actually i've run into a little issue with mine.. when i trigger a one shot sound, i get a click/pop after it finishes playing. however if i retrigger before it's done, there's no issue. i've messed with crossfade timing (set to 50ms i believe..) but didn't work. any ideas?

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:48 am

dooj88 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:21 pm
actually i've run into a little issue with mine.. when i trigger a one shot sound, i get a click/pop after it finishes playing. however if i retrigger before it's done, there's no issue. i've messed with crossfade timing (set to 50ms i believe..) but didn't work. any ideas?
Sounds to me like the sample is in cause (how the sample is cut I mean), not the module. But I might be wrong, if for instance it's something you didn't have earlier which just appeared.
I'd pers. check the sample, see how it ends in an editor. You could leave/add just some ms of silence at the end for instance (the sample is then a bit longer) and see how it acts.
FS: New Orgone Accumulator MK2 for BugBrand/FRAC
-----------------------------------
www.batchas.com

Return to “Music Tech DIY”