[Project] Music Thing Radio Music 4hp sample player

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

redlester
Common Wiggler

Re: [Project] Music Thing Radio Music 4hp sample player

Post by redlester » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:07 am

batchas wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:05 am
Many of us here on the forum have a 100k resistor because there are very common and can be found in the majority of the DIY projects mentioned on this forum. It will be very easy to send one to you (for free) depending where you're located. And adding it in parallel if needed will be very easy.
That's incredibly kind and thank you for offering (am in UK by the way). But no need to send anything. I'm now in the process of putting together the module (very slowly, taking my time - spent last night just populating the first board with resistors) and after a bit more research had already decided to add the extra resistor. I bought some off Amazon so I will have some spares, as I anticipate this will be the first of many modules I hope to build seeing as the more I delve into it, the more I'm enjoying it. (Hello Turing Machine... hi there Prok Drums...)

I never had any inclination towards electronics before (and am now aged 61) but really I should have known I would get into it, I remember my dad teaching me how to solder my own custom made cables/connectors when I got into HiFi as a teenager.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:30 am

redlester wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:07 am
I never had any inclination towards electronics before (and am now aged 61) but really I should have known I would get into it, I remember my dad teaching me how to solder my own custom made cables/connectors when I got into HiFi as a teenager.
:tu:
-----------------------------------
FS: KESAKO Player & Reverb for Serge and Buchla

KittenVillage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KittenVillage » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:28 pm

redlester wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:07 am
I got into diy eurorack just before I turned 50 (not too long ago) and it's been very rewarding. My father who used to teach electronics at the local community college and had 25 year careers in both the US Air Force and Postal Service taught me none of it. But it's been nice to talk to him about it now and hear that he's (finally) proud of me.

The Radio Music is probably one of the easiest things to put together. I am not sure if the Thonk kit has a socket for the op-amp, but if so, I'd suggest socketing it after you solder the socket. Then when you move onto the header you won't have to try to fit it in with the header on either side.

And a quick point about the header. I find that it's best to fit both the male and female together as you put the board together. (Typically you want the female header on the control board!) So fit them in place and then use the pressure of both boards to get the male and female to join. Then solder just one point on each so you can look at it and heat that point up and adjust it before you commit to doing all the connections. Never just try to do the female and male headers separately and hope they come together nice afterwards. Hope that helps!

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

redlester
Common Wiggler

Post by redlester » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:37 am

KittenVillage wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:28 pm
And a quick point about the header. I find that it's best to fit both the male and female together as you put the board together. (Typically you want the female header on the control board!) So fit them in place and then use the pressure of both boards to get the male and female to join. Then solder just one point on each so you can look at it and heat that point up and adjust it before you commit to doing all the connections. Never just try to do the female and male headers separately and hope they come together nice afterwards. Hope that helps!
Am sure it will, thanks a lot.

redlester
Common Wiggler

Post by redlester » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:11 am

Have just completed building the module, and I don't want to rush to judgement, but everything seems to be working properly!

I have to say am absolutely buzzing with the sense of achievement, what an adrenalin rush! :sb: :tu: :miley:

stripou
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stripou » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:46 pm

Hey everybody, about to finish 3 builds of the radio music to turn them into some sort of modified mellotron. I'm wondering what would be the best folder and file-naming tactic to make the station react to a 1v/octave input (provided i tagged each file with the appropriate key).
Anybody do this?

robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:32 pm

Mine just gave up after years of faithful service. The four leds slowly cycle and I hear a click when it goes back to the first one. Reformatting SD did not help. Do these symptoms ring a bell with anyone?

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:10 am

robotfunk wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:32 pm
Mine just gave up after years of faithful service. The four leds slowly cycle and I hear a click when it goes back to the first one. Reformatting SD did not help. Do these symptoms ring a bell with anyone?
4 LEDs cycling and click when it goes back to first LED means no SD Card found.
I'd try with another card and also check the solder on the tiny SD Card holder pins.
-----------------------------------
FS: KESAKO Player & Reverb for Serge and Buchla

kvinther
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kvinther » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:42 pm

I made a thing!

I've build radios and other projects before, but this was the first module I built, and the first that I made from scratch (ordered PCBs and parts from BOM). And it works!

Had some problems at first with it not recognizing the SD card, but found and fixed a cold solder joint on the Teensy, and Bob's your uncle!

Now I need to get a case... ;)

remove duplicates online
.oscillate.wildly. ¯|_|¯|_|¯|_|¯|_|¯|_|¯|_

DCDanno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DCDanno » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:04 pm

kvinther wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:42 pm
I made a thing!

I've build radios and other projects before, but this was the first module I built, and the first that I made from scratch (ordered PCBs and parts from BOM). And it works!

Had some problems at first with it not recognizing the SD card, but found and fixed a cold solder joint on the Teensy, and Bob's your uncle!

Now I need to get a case... ;)

remove duplicates online
A) Congratulations and nicely done! Looks like a clean build. Fun module, too.
B) If you are like me and many others on here, this won't be your last DIY module. It's addictive! (And fun)
C) If you have any build problems or questions, ask. Lots of helpful, knowledgeable and friendly people on the forum.

kvinther
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kvinther » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:42 pm

Thanks! I've definitely got a notebook going with ideas, depending of course on this darn microprocessor shortage.

I for sure got build help and ideas from this thread, so thanks to everyone who's contributed.
.oscillate.wildly. ¯|_|¯|_|¯|_|¯|_|¯|_|¯|_

Return to “Music Tech DIY”