Sonic Potions - Penrose Quantizer DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Re: Sonic Potions - Penrose Quantizer DIY Kit

Post by pjbulls » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:51 am

Haralds:Werk wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:26 am
* Fuse settings for external quarz (20MHz):
* avrdude -p m328p -c avrisp2 -U lfuse:w:0xe7:m
* avrdude -p m328p -c avrisp2 -U hfuse:w:0xd9:m

Should be the same for the 168
Awesome, thanks!

glennfin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:08 am

Can someone please point me to the latest firmware download and instructions for updating?. I could never get mine to work correctly but it has old firmware. The links in the first post are dead.

Thanks

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Post by pjbulls » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:17 am

The latest firmware is in this git repo as far as I know. Precompiled binaries are in the bin/ directory.

If you have a chip with the audio bootloader already flashed you should be able to play the bin/penrose.wav file per the instructions provided in the manual, but I haven't tried that.

You can also update the firmware (bin/quantizer.hex) via an AVR ISP programmer such as the USBasp and a flashing utility such as avrdude. If you have avrdude set up and the programmer connected to the board you can flash the firmware via a command similar to 'avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p -U flash:w:quantizer.hex:i', see for example here for some more detailed explanation.

BartBral
Common Wiggler

Post by BartBral » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 am

glennfin wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:08 am
Can someone please point me to the latest firmware download and instructions for updating?. I could never get mine to work correctly but it has old firmware. The links in the first post are dead. Thanks
https://github.com/SonicPotions/Penrose In the BIN folder.
When you use the audio-file update procedure, be sure to use a stereo cable, as the update is send thru the ring of the the cable into the Penrose Trigger-IN jack. Be sure to amplify the signal enough, otherwise it won't update properly/at all.

Further update info here:
http://www.sonic-potions.com/penroseManual

Good luck!

glennfin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:20 am

Thanks guys!.. I'll give it a try.

mnygus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mnygus » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:57 am

There is bug in 1.2 firmware! When input voltage is >2.55V, ADC hysteresis is not working and sometimes Penrose can switch randomly between two notes.

I've fixed this and you can download latest fixed firmware here:

https://github.com/mgalach/Penrose/blob ... rFixed.hex

pld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pld » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:33 am

mnygus wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:57 am
There is bug in 1.2 firmware! When input voltage is >2.55V, ADC hysteresis is not working and sometimes Penrose can switch randomly between two notes.
It's kind of a shame the forum is still MIA, the hysteresis issue has been covered a few times (e.g. here, albeit in a different format).

There's also some other quirks in the firmware, for which I had fixes in various branches -- but since there's actually been a total overhaul by float32: github

mnygus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mnygus » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:43 am

I will try overhaul, thanks!

Too bad there is not .hex, I have to fugure out how to compile it...

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:59 am

pld wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:33 am
mnygus wrote:
It's kind of a shame the forum is still MIA, the hysteresis issue has been covered a few times (e.g. here, albeit in a different format).

There's also some other quirks in the firmware, for which I had fixes in various branches -- but since there's actually been a total overhaul by float32: github
Yup - the thread for my bug-format version has some decent firmware as linked above: viewtopic.php?p=3121480#p3121480

glennfin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:41 am

I don't see the firmware wav file anywhere....
mnygus wrote:

I've fixed this and you can download latest fixed firmware here:

https://github.com/mgalach/Penrose/blob ... rFixed.hex

Fedor
Common Wiggler

Post by Fedor » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:11 pm

Finished the build today (my first diy module ever!), so I need the latest firmware, too)

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:47 pm

Oh yes, I never figured out how to make a .wav - I used a usb programmer to the 6pin ISP header (wasn't particularly comfortable with all that but figured it finally!).

kreiff
Common Wiggler

Post by kreiff » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:06 pm

glennfin wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:41 am
I actually compiled and outputted the wav file on my machine using float32's instructions. You can download it from my google drive here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v8viPz ... sp=sharing

It worked on both of my builds. Firmware update instructions are the same found here:
https://www.sonic-potions.com/penroseManual

I found that after the audio completed, I had to power cycle the module.

float32's firmware is much better. No more glitches between notes. I want to say the accuracy is better across octaves as well - but I haven't reviewed all the updates that float32 made in detail.

Fedor
Common Wiggler

Post by Fedor » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:56 pm

@kreiff, thank you!

glennfin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:01 am

kreiff wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:06 pm
glennfin wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:41 am
I actually compiled and outputted the wav file on my machine using float32's instructions. You can download it from my google drive here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v8viPz ... sp=sharing

It worked on both of my builds. Firmware update instructions are the same found here:
https://www.sonic-potions.com/penroseManual

I found that after the audio completed, I had to power cycle the module.

float32's firmware is much better. No more glitches between notes. I want to say the accuracy is better across octaves as well - but I haven't reviewed all the updates that float32 made in detail.
Thanks!

constantG
Learning to Wiggle

Post by constantG » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:34 am

I just finished building this and plugged it in, all the lights and buttons work and all of the inputs and outputs seem to work. Firstly, I don't really understand how to calibrate it with a multimeter (I don't have an oscilloscope) and a full (beginners) explanation/demonstration of this would be great. Secondly, whilst everything seems to be working, there is no variation in pitch from the output whatsoever. All help would be appreciated.

Cheers

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:25 am

To calibrate mine I simply select C on the key-switches and then check that these octaves are close to 1V intervals, measuring with your multimeter.
On my BugFrac version I have a manual voltage source so this is easy, but you'd need to feed in a variable signal of 0 to +10V
There is always a bit of deviation & some DACs seem to be way off in some ranges, but most are just fine.

constantG
Learning to Wiggle

Post by constantG » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:38 am

BugBrand wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:25 am
To calibrate mine I simply select C on the key-switches and then check that these octaves are close to 1V intervals, measuring with your multimeter.
On my BugFrac version I have a manual voltage source so this is easy, but you'd need to feed in a variable signal of 0 to +10V
There is always a bit of deviation & some DACs seem to be way off in some ranges, but most are just fine.
If I turn the trim pot whilst it is sending notes to the oscillator, should I hear the pitch changing?

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:44 am

The trim pot is scaling the output - it only affects amplification of the DAC signal, does not have any effect on the input voltage signal directly.
As you change the input voltage, yes, the output voltage should change.
If it isn't then perhaps there is a fault on the normalisation of the ext-trigger input -- with nothing connected the module should be constantly reading the input, whereas plugging a cable in switches it only to react when a trigger arrives.
Unfortunately I only really know about my own BugBrand version of Penrose, not the original kit.

constantG
Learning to Wiggle

Post by constantG » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:08 am

Is this right?

connect the CV out from my MPC to the input socket and measure the output with a DMM whilst sending a C0 from the MPC should be about 1V DC?

constantG
Learning to Wiggle

Post by constantG » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:46 am

All it does is play the same pitch, no matter what I try.

If everything else is working correctly, is it likely that I have a blown IC ?

Edit:

Lesson 1. Sleep on it!

IC in the wrong way round, luckily no damage was done and its working fine now. 😶😶😶

Nyonyx
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Nyonyx » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi, I have a problem with my penrose quantiser I built from thonk.co.uk.

Sometimes it will work as expected but sometimes it does not quantise below 2.5v. I have reflow everything, updated the firmware and calibrated it. The problem still persist. 0v should be a C note, but instead I get a D# note. Do you have any idea? My build is very clean, and all solder joints are good.

also the trigger input doesnt work !
Someone else have solve this problem ?

Thank you.

efluon
Common Wiggler

Post by efluon » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:12 am

pld wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:33 am
there's actually been a total overhaul by float32: github
Thanks for that!!

If someone builds that, i had some struggle, which I share here if someone runs into the same issues.
  • somehow i had python3 on my mac in /usr/bin, so when hombrew installing python3 i needed to make an alias (so that the pip installed IntelHex can be found)
  • the avr in my kit was an atmega168p, so i needed to edit artifact.mk for 'make load' to work. (added the p to the target, changed the fuse-setting to what was given earlier in this thread, removing the efuse setting ->
    avrdude -B100 $(AVRDUDE_OPTS) -p atmega168p -U lfuse:w:0xe7:m -U hfuse:w:0xd9:m

waldenpotato
Common Wiggler

Post by waldenpotato » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:17 pm

I just finished building two of these. I noticed that it seems sometimes the notes will switch to a different note randomly. I initially figured that this was happening because the control voltage was close to two notes. But after reading a few messages here it sounds like it might be a firmware issue. How can I confirm this - check firmware version I have, find newer version, install newer version, etc?

Update:
I'll take a look at the float32 code and see if that has any good stuff.

the_laconic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by the_laconic » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:56 pm

Hi all, first time post, and probably not the last, since I've jumped headlong into DIY modular.

I'm working on a Penrose v 0.4. The assembly instructions refer to a pair of 18 pF capacitors that connect to the crystal. There are no 18 pF capacitors in the kit though -- instead there are what appear to be 50 nF capacitors (503).

It's possible that's correct, since the cap values are chosen according to the crystal as far as I can tell. But there isn't enough info on the crystal to say what model it is. I emailed Sonic Potions on Thursday and haven't got a response. Frustrating.

Can anyone who has built this recently please advise? Did you have the same caps? Did you switch them out?

Thanks,
Marc

Return to “Music Tech DIY”