swapping 1/4" jacks with 1/8" jacks?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

swapping 1/4" jacks with 1/8" jacks?

Post by Cryosion » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:38 pm

I'm about to start my first DIY project with the Alien Screamer from MFOS. I'll eventually build a Eurorack modular (maybe some DIY mixed with commercial modules) and I want to keep everything standard. Do I need to do anything differently if I were to switch the jacks to 1/8"? I haven't found much on this anywhere, but it looks like they should be interchangeable. I just wanted to make sure before I did anything.

edit: I'm also hoping to make some of the more complex monosynths from MFOS so this question applies to those more than the simple boxes.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:55 pm

You can interchange without problem 1/4" and 1/8" jacks.
I checked online the project you mentionned, a standard mono TS jack is used for the signal output.
Be aware if you also take their layout for your panel, that the hole for the 1/8" will have to be smaller (different diameter depending which jack you decide to use).
Last edited by batchas on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cryosion » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:58 pm

batchas wrote:You can interchange without problem 1/4" and 1/8" jacks.
I checked online the project you mentionned, a standard mono jack is used.
Be aware if you also take their layout for your panel, that the hole for the 1/8" will have to be smaller (different diameter depending which jack you decide to use).
Ok thanks! I know the hole will be the wrong size, I'm hoping to make my own panels later in the future. For now I'll manage somehow, maybe I'll just keep the 1/4" jacks until I make my own panels. Is there a time when I wouldn't be able to swap the two jacks, or are they the same thing besides size?

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:10 pm

Jacks found in synths projects might have 3 connectors (TRS) used for instance for stereo/balanced signals, or used to switch ON or OFF a certain signal when you insert or remove the jack plug (like a third function if you want). They exist also with 4 connectors, but I've never seen them in DIY projects.
So, when you decide to swap these for 1/8" (3.5mm), just check first the number of connectors they might have. So only the size will differe (their form too can differe, depending of the kind of connectors you choose to better fit with your project).
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cryosion » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:21 pm

Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation!

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:24 pm

I mean there are many forms available. Here only a few examples:

But for panel mounting I'd go for this kind. There are many different available, with different nuts and washers...

You see that you have the choice!
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:27 pm

ihavea4 wrote:Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation!
You're welcome :tu:
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:28 pm

I wish you all the best with your DIY project!
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

abelovesfun
Ultra Wiggler

Post by abelovesfun » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:32 pm

When I initially build a module, I hit up the local tap plastics. I'm a 5U guy, so I have them cut me a piece of 5U x 19" plastic (you can also dig in their scrap bin). Then I'll print out a layout for where the knobs and jacks will go (usually bridechamber for me, but could also be anything) and drill out the holes into the plastic panel and build away. It's a great way to work with a "panel" for under a buck while you build without investing in a nicer FPD or bridechamber panel until the project is working.
Super Easy, Awesome DIY kits @ http://www.aisynthesis.com
modular ambient and composery music @ http://www.forcedamage.com/
https://www.facebook.com/forcedamagemusic

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cryosion » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:12 am

abelovesfun wrote:When I initially build a module, I hit up the local tap plastics. I'm a 5U guy, so I have them cut me a piece of 5U x 19" plastic (you can also dig in their scrap bin). Then I'll print out a layout for where the knobs and jacks will go (usually bridechamber for me, but could also be anything) and drill out the holes into the plastic panel and build away. It's a great way to work with a "panel" for under a buck while you build without investing in a nicer FPD or bridechamber panel until the project is working.
I like this idea a lot actually. I was wondering what to do about making panels, and cheap works for me! Where exactly do you go to get the plastic? And how thick do you usually get it?

abelovesfun
Ultra Wiggler

Post by abelovesfun » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:22 pm

I go to TAP plastics. Here in Portland there is one I walk too about three blocks away. I get a black textured ABS that is 1/8" thick I think, but like I said, I mainly build 5U unless I'm doing euro for somebody. Their web site has a store locator.
Super Easy, Awesome DIY kits @ http://www.aisynthesis.com
modular ambient and composery music @ http://www.forcedamage.com/
https://www.facebook.com/forcedamagemusic

Return to “Music Tech DIY”