Designing front panels, placement help

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Designing front panels, placement help

Post by Cryosion » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:17 pm

I'm trying to design my first panel, and I'm not really sure where to start. I've read a bunch of forum posts and stuff about it, and I have FPE now. I've seen some videos where people talk about getting clipart or something of the pots and jacks and everything that will be attached to the panel to make sure it fits on the back side. Where can I find those kind of things? Do I have to make the myself or just guess? Ideally I'd like something I can just click and drag onto my panel... but I feel like that might be asking way too much. Any suggestions?

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:22 pm

There are a couple of "packs" of these types of things that people have made. I don't have them in front of me, but maybe do a search for "FPD HPGL". That should help. HPGL files are a plotter format that FPE will import. Each HPGL object is treated as one engraving mark, so it can be cheaper than making them with individual tick marks, lines, etc.

Also, search for a thread in this forum called "More 4U". Somewhere in that thread I uploaded a zip file of a bunch of 5U panels that I did for one of my latest systems. This might help you with sizes and distances.

I'm at work right now, so I can't hunt around for everything right now, but this should point you in a few directions that may help.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cryosion » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks! That stuff is definitely helpful. I remember seeing some objects to represent the back side of the panel though, to make sure there was enough clearance between the objects. I'll be working with some MFOS stuff at first but I want to get into Eurorack eventually, so I would need 1/8" jacks and the typical pots and leds and stuff. If that's not possible then these packs will work!

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:05 am

Most MFOS PCBs will fit in Euro form factor... if with a slightly tight fit. I'm building mine with the PCBs parallel to the front panel, which means fairly wide modules in some cases but they're not all cramped like so much other Euro.
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!

waleed333
1-Post Wiggler

Post by waleed333 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:58 am

Also, search for a thread in this forum called "More 4U". Somewhere in that thread I uploaded a zip file of a bunch of 5U panels that I did for one of my latest systems. This might help you with sizes and distances.

We are the pioneers in providing Testking phr dumps and Testking ceh books with exam pass guarantee. Download our latest testkingccie sckans questions to pass real exam of mcitp training in www.muih.edu

Return to “Music Tech DIY”