Presenting: Crowminius

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:15 am

Many thanks guys.
About the switches. They are the mouser ones. They are a little small for the moog panel but used a sub frame and painted the surface matt black.

I have now fitted an internal sequencer which uses the display as a pattern window. It's great for a bit of mad knob tweaking
Last edited by wahee on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crystalline Stricture now on
tonnrecordings.com

terracide
Learning to Wiggle

Post by terracide » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:29 am

So it does not need separate voicecards? I think I read on an old thread crow talked about it having 16 of them , that kind of threw me off this project.

sixty_n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sixty_n » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:39 am

@terracide no, it's just one board. The multiple voicecard one is the crowbx

terracide
Learning to Wiggle

Post by terracide » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:49 am

sixty_n wrote:@terracide no, it's just one board. The multiple voicecard one is the crowbx
Ok great! So the BOM would be like 300usd for the pcb and components? Can someone put up a better sound demo ? Like something on YouTube maybe ?

jhulk
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jhulk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:38 pm

16 voices would be for the cs80 project as it uses 8 voices per part

the crowminus is just one pcb and unlike the minimoog every thing is all on the same pcb

lowell513mx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lowell513mx » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:58 pm

wahee wrote: I have now fitted an internal sequencer which uses the display as a pattern window. It's great for a bit of mad knob tweaking
Can you elaborate a bit on the internal sequencer?

wahee
Common Wiggler

Post by wahee » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:07 pm

lowell513mx wrote:
wahee wrote: I have now fitted an internal sequencer which uses the display as a pattern window. It's great for a bit of mad knob tweaking
Can you elaborate a bit on the internal sequencer?

hi yes it's using the midigals sequencer, which I mounted in the Crowminius case. I wired the encoder and start/stop switch to the front panel and used the 16x2 display instead of the 8x2 used in the original sequencer/ The original midi in goes to the sequencer in and the sequencer out to the midi in on the Crowminius PCB

Crystalline Stricture now on
tonnrecordings.com

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:07 am

Finished up the build last night. Just missing the 3392 trans (and a couple pots). Fired right up! Only issue was the cutoff frequency spread was fairly limited. I couldn't get it to close fully without sacrificing the high freq. Swapped out R174 200k with 100k. Totally nails it!!

https://soundcloud.com/laurentide1/crowminius-test-1
Haven't calabrated it fully yet. Did a little quick "by ear" tweaking for the VCA and filter, but that's it. Not bad out of the box.

Thanks for this Crow! :sb: :yay: :tu:

tvh
Common Wiggler

Post by tvh » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:26 am

Qp that sounds great! Inspiring me to finish mine. I put it on the backburner since I've been moving and haven't set up the workstation yet.
Let us know if you have any tips for setting up/calibration - so far I am planning on winging it with the original manual. :hmm:

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:29 am

Fantastic! Thanks for the upload.

I ordered from the November batch. Looking forward to receiving the board so I can get my order in for components and start building!

My empty Duino case that I bought from Dan and the lcd from Adafruit have arrived already.

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:51 am

tvh wrote:Qp that sounds great! Inspiring me to finish mine. I put it on the backburner since I've been moving and haven't set up the workstation yet.
Let us know if you have any tips for setting up/calibration - so far I am planning on winging it with the original manual. :hmm:
The VCO's look pretty standard. Zero is for setting the frequency to center. Scale is of course v/oct (along with hi freq comp) and OCT is tuning footage. for the VCF & VCA, I was able to dial it all in by ear. May scope it to finely tweak the VCA, but the VCF can totally be done by ear.

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:52 am

aquatarkus wrote:Fantastic! Thanks for the upload.

I ordered from the November batch. Looking forward to receiving the board so I can get my order in for components and start building!

My empty Duino case that I bought from Dan and the lcd from Adafruit have arrived already.
Who has the Duino case? I was going to go all out with this thing but decided at the last minute to go the Duino case route. I've got enough big synths.

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:56 am

I searched on the internet and found this page:

http://duinokit.com/ShowAndTell/viewtopic.php?t=34&p=64

So I emailed Dan at Support@duinokit.com and asked if he had any more blanks.

He said he had 9 left (probably 8 now since he sold me one). It was 43.55 USD with shipping.

I searched the thread and Crow's site for the fpd file for the panel crow used in the kit but couldn't find it. Did I miss it on the thread??

Jim

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:10 am

Here are some pics

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:11 am

aquatarkus wrote:I searched on the internet and found this page:

http://duinokit.com/ShowAndTell/viewtopic.php?t=34&p=64

So I emailed Dan at Support@duinokit.com and asked if he had any more blanks.

He said he had 9 left (probably 8 now since he sold me one). It was 43.55 USD with shipping.

I searched the thread and Crow's site for the fpd file for the panel crow used in the kit but couldn't find it. Did I miss it on the thread??

Jim

Thanks! Just shot him an email. Hopefully he still has some left.

As for the panel, I don't think he posted the fpd file (yet). either way, it's not hard to navigate. I've already become familiar with the layout. I kinda like everything exposed. Definitely need a case to keep the dust out though.

EDIT: that case looks great. Just needs a big Moog sticker over Duino.

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:18 am

I was surprised at how tiny it was. It's about 9" x 15". For some reason I was expecting something a little bigger. But yes - it's a nice little case.

...and I will probably add some sticker art to it!

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:41 pm

aquatarkus wrote:I was surprised at how tiny it was. It's about 9" x 15". For some reason I was expecting something a little bigger. But yes - it's a nice little case.

...and I will probably add some sticker art to it!
Dan has the cases available in the Duino store now. Just put an order in. Hoping the depth of the top is enough for the rotaries with a knob.

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:44 pm

Hoping the depth of the top is enough for the rotaries with a knob
the inside of the top measures about 1.25 inches. not sure if that helps

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:54 pm

aquatarkus wrote:
Hoping the depth of the top is enough for the rotaries with a knob
the inside of the top measures about 1.25 inches. not sure if that helps
It does, thanks. I'll check when I get home.

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Sorry! just double checked...it's about an inch. Was looking at it from a bad angle.[/quote]

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:18 pm

aquatarkus wrote:Sorry! just double checked...it's about an inch. Was looking at it from a bad angle.
[/quote]

Well that's a bummer. It's over 1 1/2". Nowhere near fitting. Looks like I'll have to find those rotary's that mount from underneath. Man, those are gonna suck to desolder. :bang:

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:20 pm

Nice job on the build and sound. :sb: :sb:

You do not have to remove the rotary switches, the lid will close fine, provided use you a shallow knob. I used the PKES type Small BEar sold on the SMT version without any clearance issues. --Crow

/**/
qp wrote:
aquatarkus wrote:Sorry! just double checked...it's about an inch. Was looking at it from a bad angle.
Well that's a bummer. It's over 1 1/2". Nowhere near fitting. Looks like I'll have to find those rotary's that mount from underneath. Man, those are gonna suck to desolder. :bang:[/quote]

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:28 pm

oldcrow wrote:Nice job on the build and sound. :sb: :sb:

You do not have to remove the rotary switches, the lid will close fine, provided use you a shallow knob. I used the PKES type Small BEar sold on the SMT version without any clearance issues.
Good to know! I did just order the bottom mounted ones. I may swap them out anyway so everything has a more even height.

Will you be sharing the FPD file for the panel eventually?

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:35 pm

I gave all the trimmers the same reference designators (R31, etc) so as to make using a mini's service manual easier. The only difference is I call SHIFT "ZERO" and HI END "HI COMP" for each osc.

--Crow
/**/

tvh wrote:Qp that sounds great! Inspiring me to finish mine. I put it on the backburner since I've been moving and haven't set up the workstation yet.

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:11 pm

tvh wrote: Let us know if you have any tips for setting up/calibration - so far I am planning on winging it with the original manual. :hmm:
NOTE: my method is not technical at all, but it's what works for me. I can knock a calibration out in no time using this method opposed to what the manuals usually say (except the Buchla 208 clone. That thing's a bitch to set up)

So I pulled up the original service manual and after about 2 minutes I said fuck it and just winged it. Set all trimmers to the middle. I used a guitar tuner (as I have done with tons of other synths). First I set the v/oct. I start on a low C, and the TUNE to the nearest note (e, or g or whatever is right there) then play the next octave and adjust the trimmer. Back down to C and readjust the TUNE. Kept doing this until 1 oct in tune. Then 2 octaves apart. Back and forth. Then once that's all good I jumped up about 4 octaves and adjusted the hi freq. Then back down to make sure its all in tune and adjust as needed.

Next I did the OCT. Turned to 2' and adjusted the TUNE to nearest note. down to 4' and adjusted. back and forth again.

Finally the Zero. Set TUNE to center, hit C and adjust.

The next 2 oscillators are the same except I used their freq adjust instead of the TUNE.

As for the VCA, I just turned everything off and adjusted them until the "thump" was minimal with each key press.

Filter is loosely set by ear for now. I'll worry about that one once I get the 50KC pot.

Couldnt adjust noise as I'm missing the transistor.

Haven't flashed the atmel yet so didn't adjust MIDI to V/Oct.

One thing to keep in mind is the 3.5mm 1V/Oct jack does not go through the Glide Circuit, so if you want to use that you will need to go through the 1/4" jack and replace R4 & R6 with 121k resistors for 1V/Oct. I didn't have any so I just soldered a 100k and 22k in series for R6 and 102k & 20K for R4. Work just fine.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”