Presenting: Crowminius

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

tvh
Common Wiggler

Post by tvh » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:00 am

Thank you qp - That is extremely helpful! :guinness:

I am going the midi to V/Oct route but looks like most of your steps are the same.

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:34 am

As I gather parts before my board gets here - I have a quick question. I plan on building the suitcase version like Crow's. I've bought the LCD from Adafruit - but I didn't buy an Arduino b/c I was unsure if I needed it.

Do I need to buy the Arduino Uno to go under the LCD as well? Or does the LCD package fit on the board without the Arduino?

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:43 pm

You do not need an Arduino, the microcontroller is already on the Crowminius board. The LCD header pins on the Crowminius board have an Arduino Uno spacing, so you just use a set of male headers on one (LCD or Crowminius) and a set of female headers on the other.
aquatarkus wrote:As I gather parts before my board gets here - I have a quick question. I plan on building the suitcase version like Crow's. I've bought the LCD from Adafruit - but I didn't buy an Arduino b/c I was unsure if I needed it.

Do I need to buy the Arduino Uno to go under the LCD as well? Or does the LCD package fit on the board without the Arduino?

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:44 pm

You do not need an Arduino, the microcontroller is already on the Crowminius board. The LCD header pins on the Crowminius board have an Arduino Uno spacing, so you just use a set of male headers on one (LCD or Crowminius) and a set of female headers on the other.
Thank you!

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:04 pm

nevermind....

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Ummmm, is there going to be another run of these boards? The through hole kind?
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:36 pm

sduck wrote:Ummmm, is there going to be another run of these boards? The through hole kind?
Haha, gotcha! Maybe you should stop following me on IG. That's clone #2

sduck

Post by sduck » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:58 pm

qp wrote:
sduck wrote:Ummmm, is there going to be another run of these boards? The through hole kind?
Haha, gotcha! Maybe you should stop following me on IG. That's clone #2
Indeed! That's it, I'm going to avert my eyes whenever you post anything from now on.

OrganFixer
Common Wiggler

Post by OrganFixer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:08 am

Does anyone know if the mid November batch is shipping yet? I haven't heard anything about my order. I'm worried my order might have gotten missed.

samuraipizzacat29
adadadadadadadsr

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:10 am

sduck wrote:Ummmm, is there going to be another run of these boards? The plain smt kind?
^edited to inject my opinion :hihi:
"You can't rule the world by going at it all scattershot." - Pearl Forrester, "The Final Sacrifice"

Always stuff for sale. Pm me, add me on facebook. Send a carrier pigeon. Fox me.

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:09 am

OrganFixer

I'm waiting as well and haven't heard anything.

qp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by qp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:16 am

some more beefy goodness. Testing out the filter overload. Sent the Low Out to the Audio IN. :eek: :eek:

https://soundcloud.com/laurentide1/crowminius-test-2

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:24 am

That sounds pretty fat! :nana:

colorbars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colorbars » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:43 pm

oldcrow wrote:To use the MIDI MCU make sure R4 is 102K. If you are going to use the external CV/gate for 1V/oct keying make sure R4 is 121K. The onboard DAC uses an internal 4.096V reference, so in order to get 5 octaves of range I scaled the key CV response to 0.815v/oct. External CVs are not constrained to this 4.096V reference and so the more common 1V/oct. can be applied.

Crow
/**/
So there's no way to use midi and 1v/oct cv? You either choose 102k for R4 and use midi or choose 121k for R4 and use 1v/oct? Could someone clarify this for me?

I also noticed R6 was changed in the BOM to 121k for 1v/oct, does this have any effect on this?

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:24 pm

The board order got delayed courtesy of the US postal service. It has sat in some warehouse in California for two weeks now.
The moment I get them they will ship out immediately. I have ordered a provisional backup batch (*not* shipped by USPS) just in case.
I want everyone to have Christmas presents. :sb: :sb:

--Crow
/**/
OrganFixer wrote:Does anyone know if the mid November batch is shipping yet? I haven't heard anything about my order. I'm worried my order might have gotten missed.

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:25 pm

I plan to offer a small batch of the SMT variant for DIY. I am trying to get the pending through-hole orders filled first, given the postal delay. --Crow
samuraipizzacat29 wrote:
sduck wrote:Ummmm, is there going to be another run of these boards? The plain smt kind?
^edited to inject my opinion :hihi:

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:55 pm

The onboard pitch DAC uses a 4.096v reference, so I have to scale the response to 0.8v/Oct. You *can* use a 1v/Oct reponse for the onboard system by sacrificing an octave of range. You have to select R4 as 121K and recalibrate for four octaves in the AVR code.
colorbars wrote:
oldcrow wrote:To use the MIDI MCU make sure R4 is 102K. If you are going to use the external CV/gate for 1V/oct keying make sure R4 is 121K. The onboard DAC uses an internal 4.096V reference, so in order to get 5 octaves of range I scaled the key CV response to 0.815v/oct. External CVs are not constrained to this 4.096V reference and so the more common 1V/oct. can be applied.

Crow
/**/
So there's no way to use midi and 1v/oct cv? You either choose 102k for R4 and use midi or choose 121k for R4 and use 1v/oct? Could someone clarify this for me?

I also noticed R6 was changed in the BOM to 121k for 1v/oct, does this have any effect on this?

OrganFixer
Common Wiggler

Post by OrganFixer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi Old Crow,

Thanks for the update. The delay is no problem for as I am not going to build this until sometime next year. I was just wondering about the status since I hadn't heard anything.

btw - I remember years ago getting some help from you when I fixed a polysix battery leak using the information on the "Old Crow's Nest" website.

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:06 am

I didn't mention it here as it isn't going to be marketed as DIY, but I am making a euro version of crowminius split into two modules, "A" (osc/mod) and "B" (filter/EG/amp). I will have these pre-assembled once I hammer out the logistics of building the desktop crowminius and the euro modules as they both use 90% of the same parts.

viewtopic.php?t=149541

FYI, Crow
/**/

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:10 am

Will there be any more through hole boards? Or any possible left overs from this current batch available?

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:20 am

There will be more once I get this latest order in. --Crow
sduck wrote:Will there be any more through hole boards? Or any possible left overs from this current batch available?

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:54 pm

Hey Crow -

I looked through the whole thread and didn't find anything about this so I thought I would ask.

Can you give a link or part number to the toggle switches you are using in the Crowminius Euro and suitcase w/the the front panel.

Currently the BOM has these: https://www.digikey.com/product-search/ ... ckn9545-nd

Thanks!

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:44 pm

The SMT Crowminius and Crowminius Euro use the E-Switch
200MSP1T1B1M2QEH http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... rds=EG2447

Please note my boards for the crowminius euro and SMT desktop are designed for these switches, the switches are not going to fit in a v1.1.2 desktop board unless a 2mm to 2.54mm harness is used.

I am working on a set of plastic switch actuators that clip onto the top of the CKN9545 switch so they can be used with a panel.

--Crow
/**/
aquatarkus wrote:Hey Crow -

I looked through the whole thread and didn't find anything about this so I thought I would ask.

Can you give a link or part number to the toggle switches you are using in the Crowminius Euro and suitcase w/the the front panel.

Currently the BOM has these: https://www.digikey.com/product-search/ ... ckn9545-nd

Thanks!

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Please note my boards for the crowminius euro and SMT desktop are designed for these switches, the switches are not going to fit in a v1.1.2 desktop board unless a 2mm to 2.54mm harness is used.
Since this is my first project after many many years - I think that may be above my pay grade...looks like I'll be on the lookout for the actuators down the road!

lincolnic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lincolnic » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:05 am

Hey Crow,

Back in August you mentioned you'd be making a front panel for the 1.1.x version of these boards, but I haven't been able to find any mention of it since. Is this still in the works? Thanks!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”