Presenting: Crowminius

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

fomtoberheim
Common Wiggler

Post by fomtoberheim » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:26 pm

oldcrow wrote:All boards now pre-ordered! :goo:

I might have a few more from the overage (they send a couple extra if one or more has a blemish), but there is no guarantee of this. If I end up with extras I will list them, but that would be it for batch 1. Batch 2 I will order once I build a rev1.1 to double-check things. --Crow
cant wait!

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Found a minor issue, I still had a couple resistor locations with the incorrect value. I've updated the BoM. Batch 1 boards will have the mis-marked values, so take note. :goo: :goo:

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:40 pm

Hey folks, batch 1 boards are here! :sb: :goo: :sb: :goo: :sb: I am shipping six parcels per day this week until they are all sent. I have AHMW this Saturday followed by a few days at my workshop back east (crowbx board manufacturing) but I should be able to get batch 1 orders all done before the 18th. I will be sending order shipment emails as each one posts, with a tracking number.

The rev1.1 BoM is online here,

I will have pdfs of the schematic and a component placement overlay up on cs80.com in the next few days as well. I will be writing a build guide, but I have to build a rev1.1 and document the process as I go. I will be able to do some of that this week but the rest will be after the factory trip.

If I have any overage boards to sell, I will announce that here after the firm orders have shipped. It looks like I might have 1 or 2, I have to count up the quantity in the board stack I've not unsealed yet to be sure.

Cheers,

Crow
/**/

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:31 pm

Sweet! I've been getting parts orders together all evening, can't wait to get it all together.

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:17 am

Oh Crow, do you think you'll have programmed MIDI chips to ship with the boards or are those not ready yet?

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:13 am

I can offer the programmed MCU as it is now, which does fine over DIN5 (classic) MIDI. I do not have any spares at the moment but I will order some in.

I've been tweaking a couple resistor values to try and make the octave selectors track a bit better, otherwise things look good. :sb:
medbot wrote:Oh Crow, do you think you'll have programmed MIDI chips to ship with the boards or are those not ready yet?

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:21 am

oldcrow wrote:I can offer the programmed MCU as it is now, which does fine over DIN5 (classic) MIDI. I do not have any spares at the moment but I will order some in.
Great, DIN5 sounds good. I'd like to get one from you when you get some in, I don't have a way to program them myself.
oldcrow wrote: I've been tweaking a couple resistor values to try and make the octave selectors track a bit better, otherwise things look good. :sb:
Of course you say that 5 minutes after I place my Digikey order :doh: :hihi: You'd think I would have learned my lesson about ordering parts early by now but nope.

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:46 am

You can contact them through their live chat and have line items added if the order has not shipped yet. I do this all the time. :sb:

In this instance you want a couple 6.04KXBK-ND resistors. I am trying to improve the octave selector ranging a little. --Crow
medbot wrote:Of course you say that 5 minutes after I place my Digikey order :doh: :hihi: You'd think I would have learned my lesson about ordering parts early by now but nope.

samuraipizzacat29
adadadadadadadsr

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:10 am

I'm in for round 2. I'd rather buy $20 extra for no parts subs :)
"You can't rule the world by going at it all scattershot." - Pearl Forrester, "The Final Sacrifice"

Always stuff for sale. Pm me, add me on facebook. Send a carrier pigeon. Fox me.

InfraXpert
Common Wiggler

Post by InfraXpert » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:45 am

Please, count me in for round 2
Really good music starts with a solder iron

sk23
Common Wiggler

Post by sk23 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:44 am

Please count me in for round 2, I want it!

keganspence
1-Post Wiggler

Post by keganspence » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Totally down for round 2 as well!
:party: :party:

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:41 am

The enclosure I'm using is about ready for a coat of Authentic Black Moog Paint (tm)...

I tried to keep it as Minimoogish as I could but had to take some liberties. Should still fit the Moog style knobs Smallbear sells with plenty of wiggle room.

ElSmurf
Common Wiggler

Post by ElSmurf » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:26 am

medbot wrote:I tried to keep it as Minimoogish as I could but had to take some liberties. Should still fit the Moog style knobs Smallbear sells with plenty of wiggle room.
Looking good!

Anyone know where I could find those knobs in Europe?

*EDIT* To answer my own question, I found them in the UK : http://www.bigbluewave.co.uk/resynthesi ... le%20Knobs
Last edited by ElSmurf on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

cleaninglady
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cleaninglady » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:37 am

I'm in for round 2 , let me know.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:43 am

Hows the panel layout coming? Look for something basic like what pot does what for now

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:16 am

medbot wrote:The enclosure I'm using is about ready for a coat of Authentic Black Moog Paint (tm)...

I tried to keep it as Minimoogish as I could but had to take some liberties. Should still fit the Moog style knobs Smallbear sells with plenty of wiggle room.
I like this enclosure :love: what kind is it? :hyper:

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:23 pm

Looks like the hammond CWW

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg16_CWW.htm

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:39 pm

The enclosure I used is a 1456PL3WHCWW from Hammond. Here's a link to the page with the different models from that series - http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg16_CWW.htm. They've got the same thing without the wood panels for a bit cheaper. I bought mine from Allied Electronics here in the US (I must live down the street from them, it took less than 24 hours to get delivered :0).

The PCB came in the mail as I was typing this :woah: :love:

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:56 pm

Tomorrow (Friday 4/17/15) is the final day this week I will be mailing boards out. I have AHMW on Saturday and I continue on to my factory afterward to work on crOwBX voice board production, so the next dispatch of boards will be from the local post office there on Monday. --Crow

/**/

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Altitude909 wrote:Hows the panel layout coming? Look for something basic like what pot does what for now
Here's a hastily labeled .jpg of the drill template I made in Illustrator. Not everything is labeled but it'll be obvious what is what.

wavydave
Common Wiggler

Post by wavydave » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:16 pm

Mine showed up today, too. Yeah!

The YouTube unboxing video was here but I had to cull it.

P_Carroll
1-Post Wiggler

Post by P_Carroll » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:54 pm

Count me in for round 2 as well. I showed this to my daughter who is the music major and I wil be building it for her.
For humors sake all I could think of was this image.

lowell513mx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lowell513mx » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:02 pm

I'm keen for a board from batch 2. I live in Australia now and it was difficult to grab one the last time because of time difference. Hoping for a chance this time. :)

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:40 pm

For the next round of boards I will have more than 25, probably 100 pieces. Please note as stated earlier in the thread these standard issue boards--that is, boards after batch 1 of a revision--will be USD$100.00 each. I will order boards after I build a rev1.1 to document the build guide, and that will happen after my trip to AHMW and afterward my factory to work on crOwBX voice card SMT manufacturing. Estimate early May for board availability.

FYI,

--Crow
/**/
lowell513mx wrote:I'm keen for a board from batch 2. I live in Australia now and it was difficult to grab one the last time because of time difference. Hoping for a chance this time. :)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”