Presenting: Crowminius

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
lowell513mx
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:11 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by lowell513mx » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:16 pm

Perfect, thank you for your time and dedication. Cheers!

oldcrow wrote:For the next round of boards I will have more than 25, probably 100 pieces. Please note as stated earlier in the thread these standard issue boards--that is, boards after batch 1 of a revision--will be USD$100.00 each. I will order boards after I build a rev1.1 to document the build guide, and that will happen after my trip to AHMW and afterward my factory to work on crOwBX voice card SMT manufacturing. Estimate early May for board availability.

FYI,

--Crow
/**/

monkeyssj1
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:04 pm

Post by monkeyssj1 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:15 am

So stoked!!

sk23
Common Wiggler
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:51 am
Location: Berlin

Post by sk23 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:15 am

So if I understand right, on early May will be available a stock of 100 boards rev 1.1?

User avatar
fomtoberheim
Common Wiggler
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:54 am
Location: new jersey

Post by fomtoberheim » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:49 pm

oldcrow wrote:For the next round of boards I will have more than 25, probably 100 pieces. Please note as stated earlier in the thread these standard issue boards--that is, boards after batch 1 of a revision--will be USD$100.00 each. I will order boards after I build a rev1.1 to document the build guide, and that will happen after my trip to AHMW and afterward my factory to work on crOwBX voice card SMT manufacturing. Estimate early May for board availability.

FYI,

--Crow
/**/
lowell513mx wrote:I'm keen for a board from batch 2. I live in Australia now and it was difficult to grab one the last time because of time difference. Hoping for a chance this time. :)
this may not be the thread to ask, but when should we expect a restock of the cr0wBX?

User avatar
colorbars
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Canada

Post by colorbars » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Is there a mouser BOM available for this yet? :party:

User avatar
Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:20 am
Location: Detroit, MI

Post by Henfield » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:12 am

I had the good fortune of checking out the prototype at the AHMW meetup on Saturday, as Old Crow brought the prototype with him. It sounds amazing!! I can't wait for boards to be available again, and for built units in the future!!! We compared it side by side with an actual Minimoog, and this little clone held its own!

User avatar
nickster
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 832
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:48 pm
Location: Stockhom, SWEDEN

Post by nickster » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:59 am

Henfield wrote:I had the good fortune of checking out the prototype at the AHMW meetup on Saturday, as Old Crow brought the prototype with him. It sounds amazing!! I can't wait for boards to be available again, and for built units in the future!!! We compared it side by side with an actual Minimoog, and this little clone held its own!
After reading this, I could not hold back any more. I did try at least :sadbanana: I'm in for round 2 :bananaguitar: :banana:

User avatar
oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Contact:

Post by oldcrow » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:27 pm

I am currently at atelier Crow in WV working on crOwBX voice cards. I'll post a short video of the L60V in action on the crOwBX thread once I have the program debugged.

I will provide Digikey/Mouser online or uploadable BoMs when I return to Chicago this weekend.

User avatar
nickster
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 832
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:48 pm
Location: Stockhom, SWEDEN

Post by nickster » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:27 am

If anyone is considering offering a break out PCB for a larger faceplate that looks more like the original mini I would be very interested. A desktop mini is something I've been interested in for a long time but having gorilla fingers I'm hopeless with tightly packed synths. Even ones as beautiful and clever as the Crowminius.

User avatar
bartleby
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:20 pm
Location: berlin

Post by bartleby » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:28 pm

nickster wrote:If anyone is considering offering a break out PCB for a larger faceplate that looks more like the original mini I would be very interested.
+1

User avatar
medbot
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:44 am
Location: TX

Post by medbot » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:45 pm

Hey Crow, I know you're out of town but maybe you can help out with this real quick. I've been stuffing the board and it looks like there's a discrepancy with R116 and R131. On the BoM, R116 is listed as 4.02k and R131 is 5.2k, but on the board they're reversed, with R116 showing 5.2k and R131 showing 4.02k. You don't happen to remember which is right do you?

User avatar
oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Contact:

Post by oldcrow » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Oops, another refdes swap I missed. R131 is the 5.1K, which goes in the place marked R116 5.1K. R116 is the 4.02K which goes below the 5.1K (marked R131 4.02K). I have noted this in the BOM. Thanks, Crow
medbot wrote:Hey Crow, I know you're out of town but maybe you can help out with this real quick. I've been stuffing the board and it looks like there's a discrepancy with R116 and R131. On the BoM, R116 is listed as 4.02k and R131 is 5.2k, but on the board they're reversed, with R116 showing 5.2k and R131 showing 4.02k. You don't happen to remember which is right do you?

Brunstein
Common Wiggler
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:02 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Brunstein » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:15 pm

This keeps popping into my head since I first learned of it. Definitely interested, funds permitting.

User avatar
medbot
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:44 am
Location: TX

Post by medbot » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:00 pm

oldcrow wrote:Oops, another refdes swap I missed. R131 is the 5.1K, which goes in the place marked R116 5.1K. R116 is the 4.02K which goes below the 5.1K (marked R131 4.02K). I have noted this in the BOM. Thanks, Crow
medbot wrote:Hey Crow, I know you're out of town but maybe you can help out with this real quick. I've been stuffing the board and it looks like there's a discrepancy with R116 and R131. On the BoM, R116 is listed as 4.02k and R131 is 5.2k, but on the board they're reversed, with R116 showing 5.2k and R131 showing 4.02k. You don't happen to remember which is right do you?
Great, thanks. I also noticed that r229 1.2k isn't on the BoM. I thought I'd post a few pictures of my progress so far too while I'm here. Placing (not soldering) resistors took me the better part of three evenings. Definitely the worst game of Where's Waldo I've ever played :deadbanana:

The case is looking alright too. The knobs in the picture are just laid on the panel (still waiting on pots to be delivered) which is why so many of them are askew. I'm definitely not looking forward to all the wiring, but it'll be worth it.

Image
Image

monkeyssj1
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:04 pm

Post by monkeyssj1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:32 pm

That looks wonderful!
medbot wrote:
oldcrow wrote:Oops, another refdes swap I missed. R131 is the 5.1K, which goes in the place marked R116 5.1K. R116 is the 4.02K which goes below the 5.1K (marked R131 4.02K). I have noted this in the BOM. Thanks, Crow
medbot wrote:Hey Crow, I know you're out of town but maybe you can help out with this real quick. I've been stuffing the board and it looks like there's a discrepancy with R116 and R131. On the BoM, R116 is listed as 4.02k and R131 is 5.2k, but on the board they're reversed, with R116 showing 5.2k and R131 showing 4.02k. You don't happen to remember which is right do you?
Great, thanks. I also noticed that r229 1.2k isn't on the BoM. I thought I'd post a few pictures of my progress so far too while I'm here. Placing (not soldering) resistors took me the better part of three evenings. Definitely the worst game of Where's Waldo I've ever played :deadbanana:

The case is looking alright too. The knobs in the picture are just laid on the panel (still waiting on pots to be delivered) which is why so many of them are askew. I'm definitely not looking forward to all the wiring, but it'll be worth it.

Image
Image

sk23
Common Wiggler
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:51 am
Location: Berlin

Post by sk23 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:21 am

Hello,
I just bought the rev 1.1 batch 1 pre order and I wouold like to be sure to have the latest BoM for this.

Where I can get it?

I also saw the BoM and the pots are 2 cm tall , so I wondering if it's possible to have longer alternetives to use with different knobs of the prototype.

Thank you

User avatar
medbot
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:44 am
Location: TX

Post by medbot » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:20 pm

I stared at the board for more than 30 minutes last night and just can't for the life of me find the KSP-55 transistors. Those are the last two passives I need stuffed, so if anyone can spot them and let me know where they're at I'd be grateful.

User avatar
modintx
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Yup, Texas

Post by modintx » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:45 pm

I just had a quick look as well - nope - however they may be labeled as T vs Q on the silkscreen. Do you have a T16 & T17 unpopulated on your board?

Just a thought :hmm:

User avatar
medbot
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:44 am
Location: TX

Post by medbot » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks for looking. I checked T16 and T17 but they are both silk screened as 2n3904s.

User avatar
modintx
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Yup, Texas

Post by modintx » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:04 pm

Me thinks we need the schematic then to trace it down - did old crow post that yet?

This build is further down my queue so haven't been watching thread carefully sorry.

User avatar
oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Contact:

Post by oldcrow » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:38 pm

Hm, the KSP55s shouldn't be on the v1.1 list, they were not needed.
medbot wrote:I stared at the board for more than 30 minutes last night and just can't for the life of me find the KSP-55 transistors. Those are the last two passives I need stuffed, so if anyone can spot them and let me know where they're at I'd be grateful.

User avatar
Dimitree
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:59 am

Post by Dimitree » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:50 pm

just in case someone is looking for switches that looks like the original minimoog, I have some for sale:
http://www.ed-sounds.com/switches.html

User avatar
medbot
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:44 am
Location: TX

Post by medbot » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:12 am

oldcrow wrote:Hm, the KSP55s shouldn't be on the v1.1 list, they were not needed.
medbot wrote:I stared at the board for more than 30 minutes last night and just can't for the life of me find the KSP-55 transistors. Those are the last two passives I need stuffed, so if anyone can spot them and let me know where they're at I'd be grateful.
Cool, I thought there was something wrong with me. You owe me about 45 minutes :hihi:

I'm planning to omit the pitch bend pot on my build, do I need to run a jumper across any of the empty pads or will I be good to just leave it out? I thought it might be wanting some kind of resistance since the 0 point of the pot isn't counterclockwise like an attenuator or whatever. I just have wiring left and am hoping to get it completed by the end of the weekend :banana:

User avatar
oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Contact:

Post by oldcrow » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:16 am

I just got back from my week-long trip to my workshop to make some crowbx voice cards. I will resume crowminius board shipping on Monday. I had hoped to send some out while there, but I was just too busy: 16-hour days.

To answer your question, you can just put a 25K trimpot in there and preset the default pitch. --Crow
medbot wrote: I'm planning to omit the pitch bend pot on my build, do I need to run a jumper across any of the empty pads or will I be good to just leave it out? I thought it might be wanting some kind of resistance since the 0 point of the pot isn't counterclockwise like an attenuator or whatever. I just have wiring left and am hoping to get it completed by the end of the weekend :banana:

User avatar
aburrows
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:56 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by aburrows » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:11 pm

This is such an exciting project! I’ve been following the posts on a daily basis to see what the community is doing and eagerly awaiting the latest updates from Old Crow.

A panel mounted solution is definitely what I’m interested in. Medbot, your case and board are looking great. I was also considering the use of a Hammond Mfg. case and compiled a list of some options that seem to accommodate the dimensions of the crowminius board:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/HWCHAS1710BK.pdf - can get this version a little wider at 20” also
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456RL1.pdf
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456PL3.pdf
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456PH1CWW.pdf - too small by .2 inches. Bummer, love the wood sides.
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456PL3CWW.pdf
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg20CWW.htm - wood sides and black finish. Only negative is no sloping front. There is an option that is 17W x 10D x3H. Would need to order the appropriate bottom plate as it’s not included. I found it listed for $71 for main case (not including bottom plate).

I’d love to see someone get really ambitious (not me!) and go full out on a mimimoog style case. Check out the Anicontrol build video and project page for inspiration. Just omit the iPad and drop in a Crowminius!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXcIDzRtsJI
http://www.synth-project.de/animoog.html

I noticed you can get parts to build a dedicated keyboard at Doepfer. They offer Fatar keybeds and midi modules to control keys, pitch bend, etc.

http://www.fatar.com/home_fatar.htm
http://www.doepfer.de/MKE.htm

I’ll be aiming for a more modest stand alone box as mentioned above. Mining older posts on this thread, looks like the approach that best suits the case designs above would be to panel mount all pots, switches, midi, audio jacks, etc. Anyone who’s taking this approach, I’d love to see and hear about what you’re doing to make it work. Crow has suggested pin headers for everything but the rotary switches, which would need to be manually wired. Love any input on parts used, pics of completed wiring/boards, etc.

In the meantime, I’ll be eagerly awaiting the next round of boards! Thanks Old Crow for the awesome work here.

BTW, I had my old OB-Xa stolen after a show about 20 years ago and with the prices so insane these days, I don’t think I'll own one again. I’ll be looking at the Crowbx next :bananaguitar:

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”