Presenting: Crowminius

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:35 am

The Atmel chip is a line item in the Digikey BOM I provide. This is of course an unprogrammed chip, but you can either 1) have someone use an ISP programmer or Arduino Uno rigged as an ISP programmer to program the part, 2) I plan to sell a pre-programmed part for $5.00 on my site or 3) the microcontroller is not strictly needed as the CV and GATE jacks work off pretty much any 0.8V/Oct to 1.2V/Oct MIDICV unit when the Crowminius is scaled for it. The only thing that would not be available other than MIDI control is the A440 reference which is generated on the microcontroller.

/**/
medbot wrote:Hi Crow, do the bare boards come with the ATMEGA328P chip that's needed for MIDI? Sorry if that's a silly question, but I wasn't sure if there needed to be something from you with a custom firmware flashed on it or if I can just get one from Mouser.

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:41 am

Great, I was about to pick up a board but don't have a way to program the chip so I'm glad you're going to offer them. I'll go ahead and pay for the board now and maybe the chips will be ready to go when the boards arrive and they can all be shipped together.

wavydave
Common Wiggler

Post by wavydave » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Hey look! I just found some burning money!
:moneyburn::moneyburn:

So I bought two pcbs... :omg:

grenert
Common Wiggler

Post by grenert » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:57 pm

oldcrow wrote:Another small cost detail, I did not include the price of the LCD. The LCD is optional but if used will allow some MIDI front end settings to be changed/displayed. I use this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/772
/**/
Does your board use a standard HD44780 LCD interface? It looks like the adafruit one uses only two pins.

wavydave
Common Wiggler

Post by wavydave » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:09 pm

By looking at the silk screening, were you trying to do an Oberheim-ish paddle on the LHC?

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:19 pm

I use the Adafruit board as it uses a Microchip MCP23017 I2C I/O expander chip and their LCD library so as to only use two pins. I am not a C programmer (assembly forever!) but the statements to operate the LCD are pretty simple. Stuff like

lcd.begin(16, 2);
lcd.setBacklight(TRUE);
lcd.print(F("Crowminius v1.1"));

and so on. --Crow

/**/
grenert wrote:
Does your board use a standard HD44780 LCD interface? It looks like the adafruit one uses only two pins.

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:24 pm

I was just trying to get things to fit. :goo: The pots actually best install with both pointing to the left. I left a set of holes for the pitch pot to try and use a length of spring wire to make a "return to center" loading scheme.

I will be trying to make some printable wheels/levers is a 3D CAD when I have time. --Crow
wavydave wrote:By looking at the silk screening, were you trying to do an Oberheim-ish paddle on the LHC?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:26 am

oldcrow wrote:I use the Adafruit board as it uses a Microchip MCP23017 I2C I/O expander chip and their LCD library so as to only use two pins. I am not a C programmer (assembly forever!) but the statements to operate the LCD are pretty simple. Stuff like

lcd.begin(16, 2);
lcd.setBacklight(TRUE);
lcd.print(F("Crowminius v1.1"));

and so on. --Crow

/**/
grenert wrote:
LCD backpack. hate those things. Cool for when you dont have the pins on the uC to spare but why here? They just triple the price of the display and make a big fat part that much fatter and nearly impossible to mount under a panel with normal sized pots and switches

modintx
Veteran Wiggler

Post by modintx » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:05 am

Just ordered PCB - Thank you oldcrow for offering them. This will be a very interesting and fun build I think, can't wait :party:

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:22 am

That is just it, I didn't have the 7 pins needed to operate the LCD directly, never mind the 5 pushbuttons.

There is also a 4-pin header for mounting the display away from the board, such as to a panel. The LCD is optional in any case. --Crow
Altitude909 wrote:LCD backpack. hate those things. Cool for when you dont have the pins on the uC to spare but why here? They just triple the price of the display and make a big fat part that much fatter and nearly impossible to mount under a panel with normal sized pots and switches

ElSmurf
Common Wiggler

Post by ElSmurf » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:52 am

First post here. Very excited about this project, but I'm not sure I'll get my PayPal balance up on time to get a board from the pre-order deal, so I wanted to know if you have any idea as to when the next batch could be ready?

Also, you mentioned on Synthtopia that there are already people working on a front panel of sorts, I'd really like to get in on that. I'm the guy from the Yocto enclosure group buy, and I'm thinking about making a face plate design, to be made by Schaeffer/Front Panel Express, to mount on a standard Hammond enclosure.

wavydave
Common Wiggler

Post by wavydave » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:05 am

I missed your Yocto enclosure order for the same reason. Maybe we can work something out with Scott to ship you one of mine. I am at work right now. PM me to discuss this option.
ElSmurf wrote:First post here. Very excited about this project, but I'm not sure I'll get my PayPal balance up on time to get a board from the pre-order deal, so I wanted to know if you have any idea as to when the next batch could be ready?

Also, you mentioned on Synthtopia that there are already people working on a front panel of sorts, I'd really like to get in on that. I'm the guy from the Yocto enclosure group buy, and I'm thinking about making a face plate design, to be made by Schaeffer/Front Panel Express, to mount on a standard Hammond enclosure.

colorbars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colorbars » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:50 am

Where/how do I preorder? :hmm:

Reality Checkpoint
Confused By Electricity

Post by Reality Checkpoint » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:58 am

colorbars wrote:Where/how do I preorder? :hmm:
Right here:

http://www.cs80.com/crowminius/

:tu:

colorbars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colorbars » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks! :yay:

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:06 pm

Various folks say they will fashion panels, we'll see. The only panel I might make is a small one to fit over the main board's control area such that it still all fits in the aluminum case. Off-board panels will need cabled to board headers (or direct-soldered) but nothing extravagant.

I imagine the next board batch will be early May. --Crow

/**/
ElSmurf wrote:First post here. Very excited about this project, but I'm not sure I'll get my PayPal balance up on time to get a board from the pre-order deal, so I wanted to know if you have any idea as to when the next batch could be ready?

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:46 pm

Except for the aluminum case, mounting hardware and external AC wall transformers, here is every part needed. Note this is the general online BoM. I will also provide specific Digikey and Mouser uploadable BoM sheets to make ordering relatively quick. Of course no one is required to use these vendors; I just provide my project BoMs for them as they are where I order (digikey is a 1-day ship time to me).

Cheers,

Crow
/**/

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:03 am

Weird board size but I found a candidate:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/HWCHAS1710BK.pdf

ElSmurf
Common Wiggler

Post by ElSmurf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:18 pm

Altitude909 wrote:Weird board size but I found a candidate:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/HWCHAS1710BK.pdf
That would work! I like my desktop stuff sloped, so I was looking at the 1456RL1BKBU and 1456PL3BKBU.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456RL1.pdf
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456PL3.pdf

Or I might go all the way and get a custom enclosure built again... :hihi:

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:32 pm

1456RL1 would work but is huge, I have my MB808 in one of those and it's a beast. The other one isnt tall enough (6" flat front)

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:12 am

Crow, will the midi interface also handle pitch and mod wheel data from external controllers or is that limited to the pots on the board? Man, I'm psyched for this.

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:31 am

Eventually. The modwheel over MIDI sort of works already although to use it I have to open the local modwheel pot a little. Pitchwheel over MIDI I have not programmed yet but it is a little easier as that is just modifying the note data sent to the pitch DAC channel. The microcontroller code is a kind of work in progress at the moment.

The MIDI front end is not required at all, by the way. The CV and gate jacks can be used to bring in any 0 to 5v pitch CV from 0.8v/oct to 1.2v/oct; you have to set the scaling trimmers locally of course. I even included the legacy "switch trigger" input, although I use a 3.5mm jack and not the 2-pin Cinch Jones connector Moog used. For folks installing this board in a case where you have room to put jacks on the rear apron, you can use a Cinch-Jones socket if you really want to. :sb:

Crow
/**/
medbot wrote:Crow, will the midi interface also handle pitch and mod wheel data from external controllers or is that limited to the pots on the board? Man, I'm psyched for this.

mmarsh
Common Wiggler

Post by mmarsh » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:50 am

Hi Scott -

Just pre-ordered a board, pretty cool :) this will be a fun project and a great synth to boot.

PS - Don't know if you remember me from the old MOTM days, but a big howdy in any case!

Mike

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:41 pm

Yep, I remember MOTM folks. I still make some 5U modules on request. :sb:
mmarsh wrote:Hi Scott -

Just pre-ordered a board, pretty cool :) this will be a fun project and a great synth to boot.

PS - Don't know if you remember me from the old MOTM days, but a big howdy in any case!

Mike

oldcrow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldcrow » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:58 pm

All boards now pre-ordered! :goo:

I might have a few more from the overage (they send a couple extra if one or more has a blemish), but there is no guarantee of this. If I end up with extras I will list them, but that would be it for batch 1. Batch 2 I will order once I build a rev1.1 to double-check things. --Crow

Return to “Music Tech DIY”