ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
Jim the Oldbie
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:16 am
Location: Midwest USA

Re: ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:18 pm

...

User avatar
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4567
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

Post by KSS » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:10 am

Kipling wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:55 pm
I suppose it could be shrunk to eurorack size, but that would be quite a challenge!
It's not too hard. Can even be done using TH -orig circuit- and new features. One might call that an APT "Sequel". ;)
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

User avatar
LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Wolfsburg Germany
Contact:

Re: ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

Post by LED-man » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:25 am

The Eurorack KLEE sequencer is an option
https://synthcube.com/cart/klee-sequencer-full-kit-euro
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

funkytransport
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 am
Location: Scotland

Re: ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

Post by funkytransport » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:17 pm

Hi there Ive just been through this thread but couldnt see an identical issue, so here it is... I'm getting 0v from the quantiser outputs. Ive calibrated things OK and started checking TP's... from TP11 onwards things aren't looking right. not clean pulse waves as in the SM, but kind of all over the place..
Ive checked orientation of all the IC's and that they are all getting 15v and all seems fine.
The unquantised outs are fine. and if i put a signal into "CV in", i get that back out on quantised outputs OK. offset is fine..
I'm not sure where to go from here, any advice?
Thanks
its a rev 3...
Iain

User avatar
Kipling
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 989
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: South-East England

Re: ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

Post by Kipling » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:36 pm

I’d need to check the circuit diagram but it sounds like it could be a dead 4016 switch IC. Will check tomorrow.

funkytransport
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 am
Location: Scotland

Re: ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

Post by funkytransport » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:20 pm

Kipling wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:36 pm
I’d need to check the circuit diagram but it sounds like it could be a dead 4016 switch IC. Will check tomorrow.
Thanks Kipling,
I just tried swapping out the 4016 at Z30 and it's still the same unfortunately..
Iain.

User avatar
Kipling
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 989
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: South-East England

Re: ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

Post by Kipling » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:32 pm

funkytransport wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:20 pm
Kipling wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:36 pm
I’d need to check the circuit diagram but it sounds like it could be a dead 4016 switch IC. Will check tomorrow.
Thanks Kipling,
I just tried swapping out the 4016 at Z30 and it's still the same unfortunately..
Iain.
It was worth a try. I’ll try and get some time tomorrow to look over the schematics for you.

funkytransport
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 am
Location: Scotland

Re: ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

Post by funkytransport » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:36 pm

Kipling wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:32 pm
funkytransport wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:20 pm
Kipling wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:36 pm
I’d need to check the circuit diagram but it sounds like it could be a dead 4016 switch IC. Will check tomorrow.
Thanks Kipling,
I just tried swapping out the 4016 at Z30 and it's still the same unfortunately..
Iain.
It was worth a try. I’ll try and get some time tomorrow to look over the schematics for you.
Thanks so much!

User avatar
Kipling
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 989
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: South-East England

Re: ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

Post by Kipling » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:34 am

OK, next up try substituting Z23 (LM301AN) and Z31 (CD4007UBE).

Check the values of R189 & R190 and C28 and soldering for them and Z31.

Are you able to post pics of TP11 & 12 together on a scope (TP12 should be an inverted copy of TP11), and TPs 19, 20 & 21.

funkytransport
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 am
Location: Scotland

Re: ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

Post by funkytransport » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:29 am

Kipling wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:34 am
OK, next up try substituting Z23 (LM301AN) and Z31 (CD4007UBE).

Check the values of R189 & R190 and C28 and soldering for them and Z31.

Are you able to post pics of TP11 & 12 together on a scope (TP12 should be an inverted copy of TP11), and TPs 19, 20 & 21.
It was Z23... the 301!

delighted to get this fully operational - Thanks Kipling - exceedingly good advice.
(Can't believe I just pulled parts from my TTSH to fix something else... EEK)

Iain

User avatar
Kipling
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 989
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: South-East England

Re: ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

Post by Kipling » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:46 am

funkytransport wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:29 am
It was Z23... the 301!

delighted to get this fully operational - Thanks Kipling - exceedingly good advice.
(Can't believe I just pulled parts from my TTSH to fix something else... EEK)

Iain
Excellent news and thankfully an easy fix - glad to be of service. Hope you can get a suitable replacement original LM301 - I have a few NOS ones (and some recently bought Chinese ones which I've yet to try) in the UK if you get stuck.

I'm considering creating a Facebook Group for support/users of my 3620 and 1601 clones if anyone thinks that may be a good idea. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but could be useful. Comments please.

funkytransport
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 am
Location: Scotland

Re: ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

Post by funkytransport » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:00 am

Kipling wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:46 am
funkytransport wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:29 am
It was Z23... the 301!

delighted to get this fully operational - Thanks Kipling - exceedingly good advice.
(Can't believe I just pulled parts from my TTSH to fix something else... EEK)

Iain
Excellent news and thankfully an easy fix - glad to be of service. Hope you can get a suitable replacement original LM301 - I have a few NOS ones (and some recently bought Chinese ones which I've yet to try) in the UK if you get stuck.

I'm considering creating a Facebook Group for support/users of my 3620 and 1601 clones if anyone thinks that may be a good idea. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but could be useful. Comments please.
Yes it's all calibrated now - superb.
I found a local guy on EBay that has some 301's.. i bought a few so I have some spare.
I think that's a great idea, I'm not on Facebook myself but I'm sure that will be handy for a lot of folks...
Have a nice weekend,
iain

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”