ARP 1601 clone Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Kipling
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:56 am

Europa313 wrote:Yeah that really does sound like my luck...

Well so I did bridge right pin R32 to Z5pin7, but this still doesn't give me 0v continuity on pin7.

What about pin12, pin7 is directly connected to pin12 but pin12 hasn't got ground, should it?

pin1 -> R37
pin3 -> 0v
pin6 -> Z3pin12
pin7 -> pin12
pin8 -> R38
pin9 -> 0v
pin10 -> R37
pin11 -> ?
pin12 -> ?
pin13
pin14
Hi

Have you looked at the schematic diagrams in the service manual (post #0)? Z5 is five transistors that form part of the Comparator and some of the Sawtooth to Pulse Converter, all part of the Clock Oscillator circuit on the first page of schematics, top right.

The Emitters of Z5A and Z5B are commoned together internally and share Pin 3.

Some of your connections listed are incorrect:

Pins 7 and 10 are connected to each other and to one end of R32. I would not expect that junction to be at 0V normally. Monitor it with a 'scope rather than a voltmeter.

Pins 2, 4 and 5 are connected to each other and to R35 and R36.

Pins 1 and 12 are connected to each other and to R37.

Pins 3 and 13 are connected to 0V.

Pin 9 is connected to R31 and Z4 Pin 5.

Pin 11 is connected to +15V.

Pin 8 is connected to R33 and to the Base of Q8.

Pin 6 is connected to R24, R3, Z3 Pin 10 and the Collector of Q7.

Pin 14 is connected to C8, R38 and Z3 Pin 6.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:31 pm

pixelforest wrote:
synthcube wrote:here's an update as of June 2019:

https://synthcube.com/cart/1601-sequenc ... ption=true

We are happy to announce the forthcoming release of 1601 DIY v5. this is the v5 pcb/panel set first produced in December 2017 and referred to in the JM Logan Synths FB page: JM Logan Synths

You can make a deposit and pre-order the parts of the 160 project that you want:
was just thinking about how it'd be nice to do a 1601 to go with the TTSH V4 I just preordered, googling to see if anyone was selling PCBs and found the new 1601 listing - so fortunate! Hopefully I've finished my TTSH by the time the 1601 kit ships
a quick update---- big run of 1601 boats are finished, and waiting on the dock at the paint shop. Wood cheeks in poplar, walnut and cherry should be here within 1-2 weeks. Panels are still in metal fab for likely 1 week, then off for paint. Most parts for kits are in house, a few stragglers being ordered. PCBs in fab and expected 1-2 weeks.
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Update as of 8/11/19:
The boats are completed, and sitting on our painter’s dock awaiting delivery here. Wood cheeks in poplar, cherry and walnut are being made and expected later this week. PCBs have been ordered and should be delivered by mid-late week of 8/17. All parts for kits and assembled units are in the shop, with the exception of a few long-lead factory items.

Invoices for the remaining balances on 1601 pre-orders will begin going out in the order that the pre-order deposit was received. Your place in the shipping queue will be based on the date that your invoice balance is paid.

Note for buyers of both 1601 and TTSHv4 : If you ordered both, you can let us know if you prefer them to be shipped to you together (when the later of the two items is complete) or separately as each item is complete. If you elect to ship together, there may be some shipping savings which will be refunded to you. The TTSHv4 and 1601v5 cases are finished the same and panels are finished the same with black powdercoat and white epoxy for visual consistency between the two.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us!

FactoryDefault
Common Wiggler

Post by FactoryDefault » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:02 pm

This is great news!
Question about the most important aspect of the 1601 kit: :hihi:
At what point do we choose the wood species for the end cheeks?
I don’t remember being given the choice yet. That doesn’t mean it didn’t happen - it just means I don’t remember it happening. :hmm: :hmm:

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:56 am

FactoryDefault wrote:This is great news!
Question about the most important aspect of the 1601 kit: :hihi:
At what point do we choose the wood species for the end cheeks?
I don’t remember being given the choice yet. That doesn’t mean it didn’t happen - it just means I don’t remember it happening. :hmm: :hmm:
best way is to email us with your choice, or note it on the invoice you'll receive-- either way, if we do not have your choice when we are ready to ship, we will ask you before we send it :)

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:22 am

Friendly reminder to Synthcube... You said previously that I would have the option to buy panel only, but I don't see the option to pre-order that as yet. I would like to buy three, to replace the panels on three 2015-ordered 1601 kits that came with a paint defect. Thanks.
Wired for weird

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:25 am

fuzzbass wrote:Friendly reminder to Synthcube... You said previously that I would have the option to buy panel only, but I don't see the option to pre-order that as yet. I would like to buy three, to replace the panels on three 2015-ordered 1601 kits that came with a paint defect. Thanks.
thank you for the reminder!! we will be offering panels only, yes-- just not as pre-orders, to keep things simple. But sufficient numbers are being made.... thanks!!

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:03 pm

those of you considering a synthCube boat and wood cheeks-- here's a side-by-side of the oiled walnut, cherry and poplar. The grain really pops!
Yes, you can install them so the synthCube butterfly is facing OUT for the public to enjoy or facing IN so its hidden for eternity (or at least until your 1601 gets opened up for service )

The same wood species (and supply for that matter) are also being used for the current run of wood studio TTSH cases so if you're trying to build up a matched set, your wood will match up nicely if you go for the 1601 with wood cheeks and a wood studio TTSH case.

We're supplying black machine screws, finish washers and nylon locknuts to mount the cheeks; of course you can choose your own hardware, but we love the black hardware set off against the woodgrain, and the black cases and panel.

yes, the dimensions of the case have been redesigned by JL in order to be compatible not only with this version of the 1601, but future projects that will use this boat size and format. Earlier version wood cheeks are not compatible with this version of the boat, but other than the wood cheeks, the boats can be used for earlier versions of the 1601 project .

r0main
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r0main » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:58 am

Hi,
just received my kit, PCB + panel + wooden cheeks.

Where can I find a guide/BOM for the companion PCB (divider), rightmost part?

Cheers, Romain :eek:

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:21 am

we are awaiting the latest BOM from JMLS and will have that published shortly-- enjoy the 'bonus' divider functionality!

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:32 am

recent/current recipients of 1601 kits from this run, you may be missing parts envelopes for three parts- and if so, those will be on the way to you via a separate envelope...

pixelforest
Common Wiggler

Post by pixelforest » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:52 am

I'm not sure if its called out somewhere and I managed to miss it, but heads up if you're like me and chose to not order wooden cheeks thinking you'd get a complete powdercoated enclosure - the boats are open on the ends, not enclosed. if you are like me and wanted a plain black enclosure, it appears you'll need to figure out a way to get end plates made yourself.

@synthcube are you guys considering offering end plates that match the case, or would you be able to provide the drawings for someone else to do it? i suspect a number of us are trying to have their 1601 match their powdercoated TTSH without leaving the ends of the boat open.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:41 am

the design of the boat has been the same since the start. Having a fully enclosed one would require a completely different design

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:44 am

pixelforest wrote:I'm not sure if its called out somewhere and I managed to miss it, but heads up if you're like me and chose to not order wooden cheeks thinking you'd get a complete powdercoated enclosure - the boats are open on the ends, not enclosed. if you are like me and wanted a plain black enclosure, it appears you'll need to figure out a way to get end plates made yourself.

@synthcube are you guys considering offering end plates that match the case, or would you be able to provide the drawings for someone else to do it? i suspect a number of us are trying to have their 1601 match their powdercoated TTSH without leaving the ends of the boat open.
good suggestions-- its the weekend, but we will post the drawings early next week. We will look into making metal/powdercoat ends as well.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:46 am

@synthcube. If you design the mounting holes with symmetty, then an L-shaped Rach ear can be made which on one position nests inside the end and bottom, and in a 180 degree rotated position, makes the rack ear available for use. May not matter here where rack width is not a given, but worth keeping in mind as you develop more products. 3 metal pieces with 2 SKUs, your wood ears and all possibles are covered.

Also wanted to comment that it would've been nice to have two different sized butterflies, one each per cheek (which would then increase SKU by one, I understand).
There's a nice soft understated way to brand as well as the shouting I AM HERE that these large logos demand. Clearly your call, and only a suggestion based on my own reaction seeing your departure from your usual classy approach.

One might not mind a single smaller butterfly and you still get your branding, where even one large logo could be too much.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:43 am

Thank you, good feedback welcome! Yes the logo is a bit overstated in this run ;)
On the other hand the cheeks can be installed with the butterfly facing inwards...

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:11 am

I too would like metal ends if feasible. I re-read the ordering info and it’s right there, open boats - I just missed it.

sanders
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sanders » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:31 pm

Does anyone happen to know if there are any other none-LED Sliders that fit into the PCB mounting footprint here?

I'd love to use metal sliders if possible, and also if it were possible, it would be cool to match the look of my Odyssey with colored slider pips (as opposed to the LED tops.

Kipling
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:11 am

sanders wrote:Does anyone happen to know if there are any other none-LED Sliders that fit into the PCB mounting footprint here?

I'd love to use metal sliders if possible, and also if it were possible, it would be cool to match the look of my Odyssey with colored slider pips (as opposed to the LED tops.
I've no doubt there'll be some non-LED equivalent, and without checking in great detail perhaps the Bourns PTE45-151E-104B2 if you can find it anywhere, which look like the ARP slider sleeve should fit.

EDIT: The PTE45 range has different pin-spacing so not a direct fit.

However you cannot simply replace a normal LED slider with a non-LED slider even if the PCB footprint is similar. This is because the LED is in series with the gate circuitry and any break in that circuit would stop it generating gate pulses. You could bridge the LED with an equivalent resistor of circa 100R but you'll not then know which step the sequencer is on. Or you can drill 16 holes for the position LEDS below each slider and mount normal round LEDs in there as per the original 1601, which you'd also have to do for the Clock Out LED, wiring them to the respective pads on the PCB.

You can now get decent caps for LED sliders which fit the Bourns sliders perfectly. Go to https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/sifam-slider-caps/

Hope this helps

r0main
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r0main » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:55 am

Dear @synthcube, could we get the additional BOM for the divider section?
At least know which design it is based upon?
I have acquired all components for the main 1601 pcb via Dsl-man but the side pcb is still a mystery.

FactoryDefault
Common Wiggler

Post by FactoryDefault » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:56 am

r0main wrote:Dear @synthcube, could we get the additional BOM for the divider section?
At least know which design it is based upon?
I have acquired all components for the main 1601 pcb via Dsl-man but the side pcb is still a mystery.

Here's the divider add-on GitHub page:

https://github.com/foxacid/1601-addons

the BOM is missing a few items though - LEDs, headers etc

FactoryDefault
Common Wiggler

Post by FactoryDefault » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:28 pm

synthcube wrote:recent/current recipients of 1601 kits from this run, you may be missing parts envelopes for three parts- and if so, those will be on the way to you via a separate envelope...
Would one of these envelopes by any chance contain 16 pin sockets? I am short a couple... :hmm:

Robert Gerard
Learning to Wiggle

Build questions

Post by Robert Gerard » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi, Building the divider (sythcube) is C4 mislabeled as C5 and is D5 populated I only got 4 diodes. Also on the 1601 Version 5 board whats up with R242? Are these the missing parts, Luckily I had extra sockets as I was also shot a few 16s.
Thanks

Kipling
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Build questions

Post by Kipling » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 pm

Robert Gerard wrote:Also on the 1601 Version 5 board whats up with R242?
Not sure what your query is with R242. As far as I can recall, it’s the current-limiting resistor for one or two of the LEDs on the 45mm sliders. It’s an odd value to match the brightness of the other sliders. If that value is an issue then a 680R won’t be far out.

Robert Gerard
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Build questions

Post by Robert Gerard » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Kipling wrote:
Robert Gerard wrote:Also on the 1601 Version 5 board whats up with R242?
Not sure what your query is with R242. As far as I can recall, it’s the current-limiting resistor for one or two of the LEDs on the 45mm sliders. It’s an odd value to match the brightness of the other sliders. If that value is an issue then a 680R won’t be far out.
Thanks, I was having trouble with the 250R (so I will use a 249R 1/2 W). Cool thanks the part was missing from the sythcube kit. Also missing was the 2nf cap and the L1 and L2 .

Return to “Music Tech DIY”