DIY Mutable successfull builds hall of fame

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: DIY Mutable successfull builds hall of fame

Post by adam » Wed May 13, 2020 6:47 pm

fair enough...

Bretd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bretd » Wed May 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Will an ST-LinkV2 and the Olimex JTAG-20-10 converter suffice for programming for most of these builds?

bawbag
Common Wiggler

Post by bawbag » Thu May 14, 2020 12:53 am

Bretd wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:17 pm
Will an ST-LinkV2 and the Olimex JTAG-20-10 converter suffice for programming for most of these builds?
Yes. The ST-Link won't work on any of the ATMega designs, but will work for the STM32 designs with JTAG headers. The later STM32 designs require you to use the ST-Link in a slightly different manner, but it still works.

Spastic_Colon
Common Wiggler

Post by Spastic_Colon » Sat May 16, 2020 8:44 pm

My first successful MI build of any description. Relatively straight forward and worked first time after flashing. I’ve got an Elements and uBraids II line’s up next. :cloud:
Attachments
E1F28852-20E6-44AD-A488-8FE128D74E83.jpeg

ashley27
Common Wiggler

Post by ashley27 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:43 pm

Can anybody put me in the right direction for an encoder for a DIY Yarns module I’m building. I’ve never needed an encoder before, finding it a little confusing! Somebody mentioned this earlier in the thread, it’s 24 dent.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... -4220F-S24

eljay
Common Wiggler

Post by eljay » Fri May 22, 2020 4:16 pm

That encoder works fine, it does require careful mounting to the front panel and soldering to the PCB because the Bush length (the threaded part of the shaft that you fix the front panel nut to) isn't quite long enough. The PCB just required a little squeeze toward the front panel to get enough thread through to get the front panel nut on it. You also need to make a tiny change to the encoder code module to reverse the encoder direction. The module functions correctly if you don't but the encoder rotation works back to front. In this application the encoder is just a knob you rotate to scroll through a series of values. Solder the encoder on after you have fitted the pots, sockets and LED display and attached the front panel, that should allow you to get a couple of turns of the front panel nut on the Bush and only squeeze the PCB enough to be able to solder the legs securely. This encoder has a push to select (click function), if you don't secure the encoder with a nut to the front panel the PCB will flex a little each time you press the encoder knob, eventually this could lead to stress fractures in the PCB.

ashley27
Common Wiggler

Post by ashley27 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:13 am

Ok great thank you, so it SHOULD be 24 turn not 12?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:26 am

^

Do this instead, find an extra M7 nut, thread it almost to the bottom of the encoder (assuming you have a 25mm long one). This will be the last step in the build so make sure everything else is done, place the encoder (dont solder) and install the panel and tighten the socket nuts. install the other nut on the encoder thread and tighten it down, you can adjust how much it lifts off the board with the nut underneath. It doesnt really matter, the two nuts will keep the part in place, flip it around and solder down the encoder. There should be enough leads sticking out to do so

Forcing the panel down to get the nut on is a bad idea in so many ways, yarns doesnt have any support on the top so you will flex the panel and the pcb and keep them under tension while youre plugging stuff in and out. Not good. With the two nuts the encoder is mechanically held to the panel, not the pcb

eljay
Common Wiggler

Post by eljay » Thu May 28, 2020 11:58 am

IMG_0938.JPG
Third successful build completed and working, a Braids module. PCB and bare front panel from Amazing Synths and I've again used a self adhesive Vinyl Matte paper to print a covering on my inkjet printer. I'm getting more confident with my SMD skills and this time I successfully used the drag soldering technique for the STM32 MCU.

It was definitely worth setting up the MI Vagrant build environment on my PC, again a simple step and repeat to build and flash the software, and, having built Yarns I had already made the small code modification to the encoder software so that it operates in the correct direction. Calibration was very straight forward and easy to do.

A small artefact noticed as a result of taking the picture attached is that there are no missing segments in the display when viewed using your eyes but there is in the photo above. Braids has an option to adjust the display brightness and I have used this option to turn the brightness down, I haven't looked at the code but I suspect it achieves this by turning the segments on and off very quickly and I happen to have caught the display when not showing the bottom half of the L. In other photos different segments are missing. I was thinking of adding the brightness control to the Yarns module so I will be able to confirm the mechanism being used if it's simple to lift from the Braids code.

As for the Braids module, PLUK is the first model I've set-up to my taste using the sub-menu to adjust a number of parameters including use of the internal VCA. Sounds great!

adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by adam » Thu May 28, 2020 12:31 pm

excellent, glad to see you're enjoying it :)

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Thu May 28, 2020 2:32 pm

Good to see it was built in the U.K.!

:tu:

subdrift
Learning to Wiggle

Re: DIY Yarns

Post by subdrift » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:01 am

eljay wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:02 pm
My first Mutable build, really pleased with the end result. Board and plain metal front panel from Amazing Synths, great service, fast delivery and useful supporting advice. Many thanks Adam. Only my third SMD project, it really stretched my abilities but I like a challenge. I don't think I will get into anything that uses smaller components than this but I am looking forward to building a Tides module.
Good to know that Yarns is possible to be built. I am feeling quite hopeless about mine. I really thought I built it well, but when I plug it into power nothing turns on. It's pretty frustrating. :( I've looked at AmazingSynths boards and I might try picking up one of theirs and trying again. I've heard they're nice and helpful.

Which method did you use for getting your components on the board? (hot air, hand soldering, stencil, etc...paste, no paste...)

eljay
Common Wiggler

Post by eljay » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi subdrift, in answer to your question I hand solder all the components on the board using a round tip iron. I have a x5 dioptre lens in an LED illuminated angle poise lamp so that I can see what I'm doing. I have used solder paste, applied with a pin across the legs of the chip and a hot air soldering gun for the ARM processor chips and I have also successfully drag soldered these chips with lots of Flux from a Flux pen and 0.7mm solder. The Amazing synths boards are very good quality and I have had no problems with them, Adam from Amazing Synths is very helpful providing useful tips on tools and techniques. Any problems I have had have been down to my own learning curve.

Just as an aside, you state that when you power your module on nothing turns on, nothing does until you have flashed the firmware into the ARM processor unit, have you done this? When you flash the firmware you should get an indication as to whether the firmware installed correctly.

eljay
Common Wiggler

Post by eljay » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:48 am

IMG_0940.JPG
Rings module successfully completed and sitting proudly next to previously completed Braids. Blank panel and PCB from Amazing Synths. I had a couple of issues during build and test. My first attempt to drag solder the 64-pin MPU was unsuccessful, I managed to bend a couple of pins and lift a solder pad off the PCB. I wasn't happy that I could repair this successfully so because I was at the start of the build I decided to start again with a new PCB and MPU, additional cost but better to get it right. The second attempt was successful and the rest of the build went together well.

I flashed the firmware successfully and then noticed that neither of the LEDS were lit, so there was a fault. I decided to check the supply voltages were correct and whilst probing with my volt meter managed to short a 3.3V supply pin to ground, this resulted in R2 the 4R7 resistor current limiting the +12v supply rail exploding in two, half of it literally detached from the solder pad! Not to be recommended. I replaced the resistor and somewhat chastened by the experience I decide to do further tests without powering the module. I discovered a couple of tiny solder bridges on the legs of IC6 (the Audio Codec), these were easily scrapped away with the tip of a fine sewing needle and once this was done the module powered up with the LEDs lit Green. I went through the calibration procedure and all seems to be working well.

Got to say I've been very happy with the service from Amazing Synths and I've ordered another batch of modules.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:49 am

:party: It's time for a Plaits now!

adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by adam » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:22 am

exploding resistor sounds a bit hairy...

wtk
Common Wiggler

Post by wtk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:15 pm

beehive/micro plaits with my bee themed panel
Attachments
IMG_20200616_191244.jpg

BadPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by BadPixel » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:06 am

Pique and Braids - my first two Mutable builds. Both went well and was up and running on the first try :banana: Only hiccup was getting the Vagrant VS up and running. Took some time and cursing on the way :confused:

Image Image Image Image

I even managed to get a half decent patch going with Braids :mrgreen:

BadPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by BadPixel » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:32 pm

Third MI build :) Cirrus (Clouds) with Antumbra panel. Had issues programming it at first. Checking continuity and shorts I found a short between the +3V3_A and GND. A quick reflow later and all went smooth :mrgreen:

I really enjoy building the Mutable modules :tu:

Image Image

jonny_w
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jonny_w » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:06 am

After initially loading the wrong firmware (figured Typhoon & Monsoon would use the same code, my mistake), I got that sorted and the Typhoon came alive! I finally got the hang of soldering 0603, and more importantly, STM32 chips. I have learned to love water soluble flux paste. I use it on every joint, and it makes drag soldering the STM32 much easier.

Working on Yaksha's Fate & uTides II next!
Attachments
IMG_20200902_230014.jpg

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:41 pm

thats amazing
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:04 pm

jonny_w wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:06 am
After initially loading the wrong firmware (figured Typhoon & Monsoon would use the same code, my mistake), I got that sorted and the Typhoon came alive!
FYI - I’m sure you know, but just in case, your panel has the Time and Bank reversed (in relation to pid’s firmware) - I made a quick hack to reverse them in the fw....

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:00 pm

jonny_w wrote:
After initially loading the wrong firmware (figured Typhoon & Monsoon would use the same code, my mistake), I got that sorted and the Typhoon came alive! I finally got the hang of soldering 0603, and more importantly, STM32 chips. I have learned to love water soluble flux paste. I use it on every joint, and it makes drag soldering the STM32 much easier.

I want to get myself a typhoon or two, but I heard there were some audio bleed issues in the Github repo. Are you noticing any bleed?

I also see forestcaver replied to the GitHub issues, and he wasn't having any bleed issues either. Think maybe it was just a bad build or two? Or something to do with the LED faders?

P.S. great job! Looks beauty.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

jonny_w
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jonny_w » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:46 pm

steviet wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:00 pm
jonny_w wrote:

I want to get myself a typhoon or two, but I heard there were some audio bleed issues in the Github repo. Are you noticing any bleed?

I also see forestcaver replied to the GitHub issues, and he wasn't having any bleed issues either. Think maybe it was just a bad build or two? Or something to do with the LED faders?

P.S. great job! Looks beauty.
Thank you! As far as audio bleed goes, I haven't noticed anything. Check out this youtube clip (it isn't me) where somebody plays with the Typhoon for an hour:

jonny_w
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jonny_w » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:49 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:04 pm
jonny_w wrote:
After initially loading the wrong firmware (figured Typhoon & Monsoon would use the same code, my mistake), I got that sorted and the Typhoon came alive!
FYI - I’m sure you know, but just in case, your panel has the Time and Bank reversed (in relation to pid’s firmware) - I made a quick hack to reverse them in the fw....
I did learn this, after going through the github comments. Thanks for the heads up! I was worried at first, thinking it wasn't working like my Microcell. Do you have a .hex file of the hacked firmware by any chance? Might be nice to tweak it, although I always welcome some quirks in my DIY rig :mrgreen:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”