CAD software?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Jalopy wrote:It is especially useful when people can help others in unconventional ways. You should try it sometime.
Endangering the entire forum just so you can get something for free isn't "helping others" and I'm surprised you are not already banned. You certainly will be soon.

On the original topic of the thread: I like, and use, Qcad for 2D stuff like the mechanical drawings in my module manuals, and FreeCAD for 3D, such as defining models for Kicad's 3D viewer; both are free software.

James Braun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by James Braun » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:18 pm

I have no real professional experience with cad, but in class we use Ironcad, witch from what I've heard is a bit like a crossbreed between a "real" program like Autocad, and Sketchup. Basically you drag and drop shapes to model a 3d representation of what you want to make with all the cad functions included, plus a tool to pretty quickly handle each shape or feature of the stuff your working with, and then, pretty easily render a 2d (top-front-left etc) blueprint ala architect drawing, witch is probably why you don't want if you want to make circuits, although i believe its possible to get it done, but excellent if you want to make a decent and representable writing for building a case for instance. Plus it got a lot of pros too, like presets for constructing sheetmetal products, adding a BOM to your drawing and a pretty decent learning curve.

As i said, never had very much experience with cadstuff except for manual blueprint drawing, but its pretty dope once you get the hand of the basics of it, which took me perhaps 5-6 hours. I took me like...3 h just to learn to make a baseline with the quick commands in Autocad so...it does the trick so far.
Runs on Pc, and on mac if download some platform shit.

Sorry to blast you with this much text, but i really like the cad part of projects, and I'm new here so there it goes. And i study furniture carpeting; hence, the cadblitz.

meretrix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by meretrix » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:24 pm

For 2D CAD I use DraftSight, the free version. It's capable enough that even tho I have a full AutoCAD license at work, I'll often find myself using DraftSight instead, for simplicity and cos it starts up about 20 times faster.

For 3D stuff I really like SolidWorks, which I use at work, but (as someone else in this thread pointed out) it costs way too much money to justify using it at home. I haven't really found a good free/affordable alternative yet.

And for PCB CAD, I (for better or worse) never used Eagle and thus don't have the mental technical debt that seems to keep Eagle users using Eagle. At home I use KiCAD, and I have been using it long enough now that all of its eccentricities don't bother me. At work, despite my Altium Designer cheerleading, I (have to) use PADS...

peAk
Common Wiggler

Post by peAk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:15 pm

Been using SolidWorks professionally for about 17 years.

Started using Siemens NX about 7 years ago.

For easy stuff SW all the way, for more complex stuff, NX is VERY powerful.

Alfrede
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Alfrede » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:45 am

slow_riot wrote:I can recommend FreeCAD with some of the add ons like fasteners, sheet metal for folds. It's probably a bit clunky and requires some odds ways of working. But it worked to draw up the chassis for this, and have it folded and cut by a pro assembly shop.

https://aether-machine.com/oscilloplasm/

If you're a "circuit" guy, like me, it's worth getting a design engineer to check your work first for manufacturability first.
Hey Slow_riot, have you experiences with kicad too, my Idea is to do the mechanical work with freecad and the electronic work with kicad. Is freecad hard to learn?

Thanks alfrede

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:41 am

Altitude909 wrote:
devinw1 wrote:I'm a Solidworks guy, but mostly because I've been using it professionally for 15 years or so. It has gotten pretty good though and is quite powerful/easy to use.
Yeah, and 7 grand a seat..
Yeah, it has come up a bit in price, but is still cheaper than many of the other professional options with similar features.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:46 am

Alfrede wrote:
Hey Slow_riot, have you experiences with kicad too, my Idea is to do the mechanical work with freecad and the electronic work with kicad. Is freecad hard to learn?

Thanks alfrede
Hi Alfrede

I have looked into KiCAD, although that package is for schematic capture and PCB layout, whereas FreeCAD is for mechanical specification. KiCAD is an excellent piece of software for general purposes design including analogue and digital.

I think all mechanical CAD programmes are hard to learn, because their range of uses is so vast. It can also be complex because there are many different ways to solve each particular problem.

There are many Youtube videos that can give you some ideas. It's a great software package.

Alfrede
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Alfrede » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:20 am

Hey Slow,

thanks for your answer. I know knowdlege is the one thing but software and the ability to tranfer the knowledge in software the other. I think when i am fit enough in kicad i will show what freecad can do.

In scholl we learned Eagle, but the new Licence Model broght me to Kicad. I think Open Source Software will be a big + for all DIYler.

Cu.

Alfrede

jordanb
Common Wiggler

Post by jordanb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:28 am

Rhino!

Alfrede
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Alfrede » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:13 pm

Hi Jordanb,

have i wrote anything false or what does rhino mean in this Case?

Morphology
Common Wiggler

Post by Morphology » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:52 am

@Jordanb is referring to Rhinoceros 3D

https://www.rhino3d.com/6

We use it at work, where the licensing model via a Zoo server works really well for us, and it's a great 3D modelling tool.

The Price tag may put most DIY-ers off, though.

For home use I find the KiCad / freeCAD works well for me, though I'm mainly just using freeCAD for creating / converting Component Models for import into KiCad's 3D Renderer.

Morph
There are only 10 different types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:50 pm

OnShape all the way for 3D cad..

Return to “Music Tech DIY”