TR-606 - is there any clone in DIY format?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Re: TR-606 - is there any clone in DIY format?

Post by JanneI » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:30 am

BTW, last 2 PCB sets for the full 5U -version available.

oberkorn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oberkorn » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:20 pm

Sorry, no progress, I've been working on other stuff. I made that proto version that I posted here, but I wasn't 100% happy with the results, so it needs more testing. I should definitely finish it this summer.
thanks. the kick and hats sit really well in the mix. a complete 606 in euro would be sweet
Last edited by oberkorn on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
you have to pay for the music but the noise is free

Bamboombaps
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bamboombaps » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:30 pm

is anyone able to share with pics any mods to raise the level of the euro BD and cymbal builds?

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:11 am

Starting to get my components together for the 5U build

Is there a shopping basket/project file for ordering the parts? I have the BOM but feel safer with a parts list from Mouser etc.

is there a build guide for idiots?

if there is the above, that will hopefully limit my stupid questions on this thread.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:57 am

oberkorn wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:20 pm
thanks. the kick and hats sit really well in the mix. a complete 606 in euro would be sweet
I'm working on basically what is a DR110 with all voices in euro right now. The DR110 is very similar to 606. This would be just the voices, no sequencer. Figured I'd mention it though!

oberkorn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oberkorn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:03 am

I'm working on basically what is a DR110 with all voices in euro right now. The DR110 is very similar to 606. This would be just the voices, no sequencer. Figured I'd mention it though!
sounds interesting. will keep an eye out for it!
you have to pay for the music but the noise is free

timequake
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timequake » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:13 am

@JanneI, still hoping you will find time to finish the sd-toms eurorack module :)

blackcelcius
buy/sell/trade

Post by blackcelcius » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:38 pm

@JanneI
Hope there will be a run of eurorack pcb's/panels somewhere in the future too as I think that there might be enough interest for that format too!

blackcelcius
buy/sell/trade

Re:

Post by blackcelcius » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:32 pm

JanneI wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:00 pm
artilect99 wrote:@JanneI -- are there any plans to release the files for the 606 snare? Re: the 5u version, if you are not planning to do any more runs of these, how would you feel about releasing the gerber files for them?
Hi! I've decided not to release the gerbers for 5U version, but I am going to order more in the next couple of weeks. So if someone wants send a message.

Eurorack snare/toms is still in works, I'll try to get it done in the summer.
It is winter now...any progress with the snare /tom eurorack boards?

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Re:

Post by JanneI » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:39 pm

blackcelcius wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:32 pm
Sorry, no progress. I'm finishing PROGUE and building the JSISYNTH.COM website for the build docs etc at the moment, so this has unfortunately moved to low priority. If you need PCB's for the ones I finished, the Gerber files are in this thread, so help yourself! Because I shared everything here for free I also encourage anyone to continue my work.

If I find time for this in the future, I'll probably release an SMD version of it, similar to the 5U module. It's not going to be soon, because we have a couple of bigger things planned for 2021...

blackcelcius
buy/sell/trade

Re: Re:

Post by blackcelcius » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:06 pm

JanneI wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:39 pm
blackcelcius wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:32 pm
Sorry, no progress. I'm finishing PROGUE and building the JSISYNTH.COM website for the build docs etc at the moment, so this has unfortunately moved to low priority. If you need PCB's for the ones I finished, the Gerber files are in this thread, so help yourself! Because I shared everything here for free I also encourage anyone to continue my work.

If I find time for this in the future, I'll probably release an SMD version of it, similar to the 5U module. It's not going to be soon, because we have a couple of bigger things planned for 2021...
Many thanks for all the efforts till now,much appreciated!
I have the bd and hh/cy module and guess I will have to wait till the snare/tom eurorack pcb/panel come
available again...
If I could I would continue your work but I am afraid that the technical side is not my best side!
Good luck with the upcoming projects ,I am sure they will be as exciting as the tr606 project.

oozitron
solder fume huffer

Post by oozitron » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:00 pm

I am working on populating my 606 (5u) boards and am missing a transistor. The Q306 in the Tom circuit calls for a BC556B but I don’t have one.

Would a BC 557, 558 or 560 be a good substitute?

Thanks! Drew
Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground

rafyc
Common Wiggler

Post by rafyc » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:46 pm

Is it complicated to add CV ins to theses modules ?

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:42 am

How much of an issue is the 4ms trigger with JanneI's modules? I have a beatstep pro I would initially like to use to sequence drums, would that work?

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:59 am

devinw1 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:57 am
oberkorn wrote:
Any news on this? :party:

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:35 am

Kelaifu wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:42 am
How much of an issue is the 4ms trigger with JanneI's modules? I have a beatstep pro I would initially like to use to sequence drums, would that work?
You can use beatstep pro, just adjust the trig to "04" (=4ms) for all the steps while programming a pattern, that's what I've done on the demo's. The problem is only for "live playing" since no human is fast enough to play 4ms triggers :)

..and sorry all, I have too much other stuff on my desk right now, so that SD/TOM module must wait, but I might get back to it someday.

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:20 am

JanneI wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:35 am
Kelaifu wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:42 am
You can use beatstep pro, just adjust the trig to "04" (=4ms) for all the steps while programming a pattern, that's what I've done on the demo's. The problem is only for "live playing" since no human is fast enough to play 4ms triggers :)

..and sorry all, I have too much other stuff on my desk right now, so that SD/TOM module must wait, but I might get back to it someday.

Aah, I see, that's a bit of a shame but fantastic work all the same. I'll probably send a bunch of these to JLC to keep me busy over the imminent lockdown :goo:

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:37 pm

NS4W wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:59 am
devinw1 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:57 am
oberkorn wrote:
Any news on this? :party:
It's happenin'! Trying to get documents in order for this and another module to release currently.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:22 pm

I got a new batch of TR-606 5U PCB sets. PM if interested!

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:20 am

Almost finished this build finally.

I have some simple questions.

I am going to use the BC546B for noise transistor, I test it ( connecting the B&E legs to the test part of the PCB and then check for the Noise coming out of the Noise out jack? Is this then trimmed/ altered with the Bournes pot just below?

If I like the noise, then to clip off the C leg and solder in Q31 (even though Q31 has a hold for the C leg)

when the PCB says 'Anticlockwise for 2SC945, is that a special mounting? I know the TTSH build had some Transistors with different mountings...

Thats it, fingers crossed I can test at the weekend and if the magic smoke gods are happy, have it working...
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

oozitron
solder fume huffer

Post by oozitron » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 pm

I have questions about the Noise Transistor as well! (I have already tested the two Bass Drums and they work fine)

My meter only has a 750 or 200 range on the AC setting, so not accurate enough. I have two BC546 transistors.

Should I just feed the TP4 signal to my mixer and see which transistor noise is loudest?
The just adjust the trimmer so that the snare/toms/etc sound ok?

Help anyone?
Drew

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:43 am

You need to have a "high enough level for the transistor" and some transistors don't. My guess is that they at Roland found a suitable transistor that had little variance which could then be trimmed back to a consistent level between the units.

Probably none of us are using the exact same one, so just try a bunch of different transistors and listen to the SNARE output will triggering. Set the trimmer so that the noise is as loud as it gets. You should easily hear the differences between those transistors that actually are "low noise level" and "loud noise level". Use the one that you like and use the trimmer for fine tuning. If you don't get "enough noise" to your snare (or toms "reverb"), even when you have tested different transistor types, then check that you haven't messed up any components in the noise circuitry.

oozitron
solder fume huffer

Post by oozitron » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:18 pm

I will solder in a two-hole header in so I can easily swap in/out transistors later on by just plugging them in :-)

The transistor can be installed in either of the two spots, correct? (the "test" spot or the Q31 spot)

Drew

Return to “Music Tech DIY”