TR-606 - is there any clone in DIY format?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

kragg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kragg » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:59 pm

Thank you, Janne.

OIP
Common Wiggler

Post by OIP » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:55 pm

built up the BD and hats/cymbal modules. nice easy builds, they work great and the hats sound just as tasty as i thought they would. couple of thoughts..

wondering if it's possible to mod the existing boards for euro output levels, either by tacking on another gain stage or changing some values around the last opamp.

also for triggering, the response seems to be quite variable, much crisper with a sharper and higher voltage trigger. i was running the hats off grids at first (+5V, 1ms) and then off as short as possible pulse from a slope gen cycle output and the difference was very noticeable.

basicbasic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by basicbasic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:40 pm

I also built BD and hats and to boost the BD output you can reduce the output resistors from 47k. I used 4.7k. A bit of a boost - not sure if it will be loud enough for you. I didn't bother with the HH as the output was fine for my setup. I also added a trimmer in place of R158 to tune BD2 a bit lower. If you didn't normalise the BD inputs so you get a mix at output 2 (like a normal 606 kick) I can take a pic of mine.

OIP
Common Wiggler

Post by OIP » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:51 pm

interesting thanks - yeah i was looking into tuning the BD2 lower actually, thought it was R158 so good to know that works.

i feel like with the BD there is plenty of room to add another opamp on vero if needs be, so i might try it. the hihats is already a pretty big build for the space.

siam-bob
Learning to Wiggle

Post by siam-bob » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:23 am

OIP wrote:interesting thanks - yeah i was looking into tuning the BD2 lower actually, thought it was R158 so good to know that works.

i feel like with the BD there is plenty of room to add another opamp on vero if needs be, so i might try it. the hihats is already a pretty big build for the space.
It works I've done it - just follow that part of the schematic from BD1, Replacing R158 with a pot and a lower value resistor to ground.

kragg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kragg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:01 am

Is it safe to solder jack sockets and pots even if we don't have a panel yet ?

Also, I wanted to print a copy of the panel design for reference or to build one, but when i open the AutoCad file, it seems very small (Autocad isn't installed on the computer i opened it with, the DXF opened in Libreoffice. I will be able to try in Inkscape in a couple days).

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:14 am

kragg wrote:Is it safe to solder jack sockets and pots even if we don't have a panel yet ?
It's always a better idea to mount everything to the panel before soldering. This way there's going to be minimal stress to the solder joints.

kragg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kragg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:24 am

This is what i thought (but expected the opposite answer :lol: I'm quite impatient, as i have everything soldered except pots and jack sockets, and quite impatient to try it :razz: )

kragg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kragg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi,
I made this little thing, if anyone is interested...
Attachments
TR-606-5U-CLONE-PANEL-Design v1,3.pdf
(35.49 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

kragg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kragg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:49 pm

sizes were off, i need to resize it properly and make some adjustments...
If anyone is interested (to print on panels), i will post it when it's updated.

artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:04 pm

I'm guessing the eurorack PCBs are all gone? AARGH why am I perpetually finding these projects right after the pcb run is over??

Interested in a snare pcb and HH pcb is anyone didn't build theirs.

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:36 am

i would also be interested in a 5u set if any are still available :doh: :tu:

hw408
Common Wiggler

Post by hw408 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:56 am

Following the thread in case a euro format version ever comes about.
This would be a fun bunch of sounds to diy.

kragg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kragg » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:06 am

Hi, Janne.
On the back of the "jack sockets" PCB, I read "place jumpers between pads to bypass gate to trigger shapers".
Sorry for sounding bold, but i am not sure to understand whant that means and what i should do ? :hmm:

Are the "pads" the white circles drawn on the PCB ?
Does this mean that we should solder some wire going from one circle to another one ?
And what are the "gate to trigger shapers" ? Is it some kind of trigger conditioners that some uers might need and some other not ?

ericneilj
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ericneilj » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:55 am

Looking forward to learning from these!

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:12 pm

TR-606 circuits need approx 4ms trigger pulse to sound as intended. Other lengths can be used, but this alters the sound, ie. longer trigger pulse (or gate) -> "machinegun".

With the gate to trigger shapers you can trigger the drums with pretty much anything, vco/lfo/etc and the drum circuits will sound the same.

However if you want to experiment with different trigger lengths, ie. with digitally controlled seq (beatstep pro etc), short the circled pads as shown on the pcb.

kragg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kragg » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Ok, thank you for your reply, that makes perfect sense.
The best solution for "regular" use would be to avoid the jumpers, right (shorting is done using jumpers by soldering a wire to the circles on the PCB back, and only required if one want a special use of the triggers) ?

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:44 pm

Yes. You only short those circles if you want to bypass the gate to trigger shaper. I thought of adding a 2 x XX header to use with pin jumpers, but since I didn't find these experiments that interesting musically, I just added those markings on the pcb. And if you'd like to fine tune individual trigger pulse lengths, just experiment with the cap&res values around the 40106's.

artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:43 am

@JanneI -- are there any plans to release the files for the 606 snare? Re: the 5u version, if you are not planning to do any more runs of these, how would you feel about releasing the gerber files for them?

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:00 pm

artilect99 wrote:@JanneI -- are there any plans to release the files for the 606 snare? Re: the 5u version, if you are not planning to do any more runs of these, how would you feel about releasing the gerber files for them?
Hi! I've decided not to release the gerbers for 5U version, but I am going to order more in the next couple of weeks. So if someone wants send a message.

Eurorack snare/toms is still in works, I'll try to get it done in the summer.

oozitron
solder fume huffer

Post by oozitron » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:55 pm

I will purchase a PCB set (one for +/- 15 volt power)

Drew
Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground

oberkorn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oberkorn » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:44 am

Eurorack snare/toms is still in works, I'll try to get it done in the summer.
thank you for your effort :tu:
you have to pay for the music but the noise is free

hw408
Common Wiggler

Post by hw408 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:06 pm

JanneI wrote:Yes. You only short those circles if you want to bypass the gate to trigger shaper. I thought of adding a 2 x XX header to use with pin jumpers, but since I didn't find these experiments that interesting musically, I just added those markings on the pcb. And if you'd like to fine tune individual trigger pulse lengths, just experiment with the cap&res values around the 40106's.
Hi Jannel
I assume the above jumpers stuff is only related to the 5u version, not euro?

I did build the euro 606 bass drum and all of my euro trigger sources create a flam/ burst (machine gun?) trigger result. When i press the BSP pad manually, it fires on the down press and fires again when i release it. Other sources create a flam / burst (knit rider/zularic repetitor).

Using my signal generator to trigger it on the breadboard, it behaved perfectly and fired once cleanly each cycle.

So do I need to do this 40106 trick? Im not sure I would know where to splice that in but i do have aome 40106 and perf board. Has anybody beat this problem with the eurorack version of the bass drum?

Thanks a lot for making for this project, it was fun to breadboard and check out the schematic before assembling. it made sound on the first power up very nice.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:47 am

hw408 wrote: Hi Jannel
I assume the above jumpers stuff is only related to the 5u version, not euro?

I did build the euro 606 bass drum and all of my euro trigger sources create a flam/ burst (machine gun?) trigger result. When i press the BSP pad manually, it fires on the down press and fires again when i release it. Other sources create a flam / burst (knit rider/zularic repetitor).

Using my signal generator to trigger it on the breadboard, it behaved perfectly and fired once cleanly each cycle.

So do I need to do this 40106 trick? Im not sure I would know where to splice that in but i do have aome 40106 and perf board. Has anybody beat this problem with the eurorack version of the bass drum?

Thanks a lot for making for this project, it was fun to breadboard and check out the schematic before assembling. it made sound on the first power up very nice.
Yes, jumper stuff is only for 5U IF you want it to behave like the eurorack version (bypass "gate to 4ms trig").

Original TR-606 sequencer sends 4ms triggers and the drum circuitry is design around this concept.

You won't be able to play pads/etc and be quick as 4ms or if you can, you're a superman! Trigger the module from a digital sequencer which let's you to dial in 4ms as a trigger pulse length. If you only have longer pulses/gates available, check the 5U version schematic around the CD40106 and use that. You'll need to add that +5v reg too.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:09 am

Are there plans for pcbs/panels?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”