[BUILD] God's Box 'Humpback' - 8hp Eurorack Multimode VCF

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Hezza11
Common Wiggler

Post by Hezza11 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:52 pm

Daisuk wrote: Thanks a lot! I got a multimeter last week to calibrate another module, so now to look into how to do continuity. Many thanks for the tips. :)
Most multimeters have a mode where if you touch the two probes it will bleep showing you there's a short.

So you want to touch one probe to the +12v pins, then with the other work your way around the 6 middle pins which are GND, and then over onto the -12v pins on the other side, there should be no beeps. Then check there's no beeps between the -12v and the GND pins, and you should be good to go.

There could be other issues which could cause a short when powered up, but the above is a good basic check to do before plugging in any DIY module.

MAXTHEDOG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MAXTHEDOG » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:11 pm

+1 to what Hezza said.
I do that as a matter of course, then check the actual resistance between all the power pins, because there's a resistance level above which the meter won't beep but could still cause problems. Any thing in the Megohms and you're good to go.
BTW keep plugging away, the filter is worth it. I've just been doing battle with a Shakmat Modular Knights Gallop that only one of two channels working. After several sessions with DMMset to 'beep' I found two dodgy solders on the op and chip. Redid them and now it's doing its thing. So it's worth the time. You also get to learn something about the circuits for the future.
Regards,
MTD.

Hezza11
Common Wiggler

Post by Hezza11 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:27 pm

MAXTHEDOG wrote:then check the actual resistance between all the power pins, because there's a resistance level above which the meter won't beep but could still cause problems. Any thing in the Megohms and you're good to go.
MTD.
Cheers, didn't know that but makes complete sense.

Still fairly new to all of this myself and only found out about the continuity testing after a brown pants moments connecting up a diy Befaco Rampage, blew my powersupplies internal fuse. Before that never had any issues and think I was pretty lucky to not have damaged some modules. Now really careful before connecting stuff up and check everything I can :banana:

MAXTHEDOG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MAXTHEDOG » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:37 am

Hi Hezza,
Actually it should beep very briefly but you might miss it especially if you're not looking at the display that instant you touch the probes. It's always better to know there's a high resistance between thes pins.
Regards,
MTD.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:07 am

Hezza11 wrote:
Daisuk wrote: Thanks a lot! I got a multimeter last week to calibrate another module, so now to look into how to do continuity. Many thanks for the tips. :)
Most multimeters have a mode where if you touch the two probes it will bleep showing you there's a short.

So you want to touch one probe to the +12v pins, then with the other work your way around the 6 middle pins which are GND, and then over onto the -12v pins on the other side, there should be no beeps. Then check there's no beeps between the -12v and the GND pins, and you should be good to go.

There could be other issues which could cause a short when powered up, but the above is a good basic check to do before plugging in any DIY module.
Thanks for this! So, touching the pins where they stand up, where you connect the power cable, yeah? Not where you've soldered? Does it matter which of the probes are connected where?

Thanks, MTD! I'll try that out as well, see if I can hook up my Multimeter like that. I've only used it to measure volts so far, so not sure which settings to use, but that should be clear enough by reading the manual. I'll try it out tonight.

Thanks a lot for chipping in. :)

AgentOrange
1-Post Wiggler

Post by AgentOrange » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:26 am

Hi,
No it doesn't matter which way round the leads go.

AO.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:48 am

AgentOrange wrote:Hi,
No it doesn't matter which way round the leads go.

AO.
Thanks. :) Just to be sure, if I have one lead on one +12 pin and put the other on a +12 pin, it's normal that it beeps, right? Same thing happens with -12 pins. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to behave like that, but just asking in case. :)

Hezza11
Common Wiggler

Post by Hezza11 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:52 am

Daisuk wrote:
Thanks. :) Just to be sure, if I have one lead on one +12 pin and put the other on a +12 pin, it's normal that it beeps, right? Same thing happens with -12 pins. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to behave like that, but just asking in case. :)
Yep, you are essentially just touching the two probes together if they're both on the +12v rail. Doing this you can trace round a circuit and figure out where you have a short, or where you don't have connection when you should.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:04 am

Hezza11 wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
Yep, you are essentially just touching the two probes together if they're both on the +12v rail. Doing this you can trace round a circuit and figure out where you have a short, or where you don't have connection when you should.
Thanks! :) Finally plugged it in now, and it seems to be working nicely! Love the sound of it. :yay:

Hezza11
Common Wiggler

Post by Hezza11 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:15 am

Daisuk wrote: Thanks! :) Finally plugged it in now, and it seems to be working nicely! Love the sound of it. :yay:
Glad it worked out! I'm still tempted by the Humpback but have a Serge VCFQ to build first.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Hezza11 wrote:
Daisuk wrote: Thanks! :) Finally plugged it in now, and it seems to be working nicely! Love the sound of it. :yay:
Glad it worked out! I'm still tempted by the Humpback but have a Serge VCFQ to build first.
On my list too! :) The Humpback is fantastic, sounds just gorgeous. Really my type of filter. I'd go as far as saying it's probably the sweetest creamiest sort of filter I've ever heard. Looove it. Will need a second. :mrgreen: :party: :yay:

Negorod
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Negorod » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:28 am

Hi.
I whant to order God’s Box ‘Humpback’ Filter but it's Insufficient stock in thonk.co.uk. When it backs to stock? Or may be I could order it in another shop?

templar
Common Wiggler

Post by templar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:46 pm

I'm pretty sure Thonk is the only place that sells it

add your name to the waitlist - it should come back in stock at some point

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:46 pm

There's no waiting list :ripbanana:

echox
Common Wiggler

Post by echox » Sat May 06, 2017 7:42 am

Since I'm also waiting for several months I also wonder if it will be back in stock or if there are no planed reruns :waah: :waah: :waah:
Also missing the "join waitlist" button :)

JAO
Common Wiggler

Post by JAO » Sat May 06, 2017 8:03 am

echox wrote:Since I'm also waiting for several months I also wonder if it will be back in stock or if there are no planed reruns :waah: :waah: :waah:
Since these shift faster than hot pies, I would presume the order for parts is being filled as we type. No rare stuff either, that I am aware of. Hang in there!

Edit: Just received a 1 month estimate for refill.

Sammus
Common Wiggler

Post by Sammus » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:18 pm

JAO wrote:
echox wrote:Since I'm also waiting for several months I also wonder if it will be back in stock or if there are no planed reruns :waah: :waah: :waah:
Since these shift faster than hot pies, I would presume the order for parts is being filled as we type. No rare stuff either, that I am aware of. Hang in there!

Edit: Just received a 1 month estimate for refill.
Fingers crossed for this to be true :) Been hanging out for one of these for a while, waiting for that notification email from Thonk!

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:20 am

Sorry they'll be a couple of weeks longer, one part has been really slow to source this time.
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

FrJK
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FrJK » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:07 am

Hi DIY wigglers, I built one yesterday and sadly it is not working properly.
LP and BP no any output, HP and N have output (just the clean signal), but only the input pot does work. Cut off and resonance just nothing...so no any filter function...

Anywhere to find a schematic? Or anyone have an idea where I can look for the problem?
I replaced all ICs, checked again solder joints and for shorts...

Any help is much welcome.. Thanks, Frank.

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:53 am

Hi Frank,

problems like that can sometimes be due to a poor connection between front and back board

schematics here - https://thonk.co.uk/documents/gbox/humpback/

diode_destroyer
Common Wiggler

Post by diode_destroyer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Are more kits coming into Thonk in the future? Only found these now and I want one!

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:45 am

Yeah well have more soon, an annoying delay one one part.

FrJK
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FrJK » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Monobass wrote:Hi Frank,

problems like that can sometimes be due to a poor connection between front and back board

schematics here - https://thonk.co.uk/documents/gbox/humpback/
Thanks again Steve, but still no success..
I checked the board connections (4 and 10 pin) by multimeter, also checked the 4 transistors, again checked solder joints by microscope ... nothing.

Then I build up the 2nd kit I got and the bad news is it behaves absolutely same as the first one ...

Any more ideas how I can find out what is wrong here?

Thanks,
Frank.

DenisOvan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DenisOvan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Hey Frank, Post up some hi res pictures of your build, both sides of the boards. It's the best way to help Wigglers help you get to the bottom of your probs

FrJK
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FrJK » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:10 pm

DenisOvan wrote:Hey Frank, Post up some hi res pictures of your build, both sides of the boards. It's the best way to help Wigglers help you get to the bottom of your probs
Hi Denis, thanks for helping. Here are the pictures:

Last edited by FrJK on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”