[Shipping] Euro DIY Mid/Side Encoder/Decoder PCB/panel

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

I would be interested in:

Through-hole PCB
61%
SMT PCB
39%

Total votes: 75

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:21 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Vcoadsr wrote:Quick question - hopefully not too trivial....

I'm putting together a Mouser order for some of the parts I don't have and wanted to check that these components would be suitable - appreciate confirmation either way. Thanks in advance.

F1, F2 - Mouser part number - 650-RXEF010 http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/T ... KJbpuLU%3d

L1, L2 - Mouser part number - 81-BL01RN1A1D2B http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/M ... 2fwg%3d%3d

U1, U2, U3, U4 - Mouser part number - 595-NE5532P http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/T ... dcoErko%3d
Those all look correct to me. :cloud:
Thanks!!! :yay:

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:46 pm

All orders which have been paid for thus far have now been shipped. :tu:

Also I thought it would be worth mentioning that the current run and all future runs are through a different PCB house to the one in the original photo so they don't have the prototype code on the front panel. I'll take a photo of the new panels and update the first post when I get an opportunity. Hope everyone is enjoying their boards!

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:01 am

cool I am starting to run out of projects. And I need more stuff to get through winter!

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:52 am

Received my two PCBs & face plates today and already soldered one of them up. Plugged it in and is working very nicely indeed!!!
Really pleased I bought two PCBs as I can see that I'm going to use this a lot!

Massive thanks to Stab Frenzy for designing & producing these boards - nice work sir :hail: :sb: :tu:

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:34 am

Here's both of them finished, very pleased with them!

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:57 pm

wow, just what i need !

i take two sets please !

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:34 am

Damn, a reminder popped up in form of thread update notification - I built this like 3 weeks ago already, but still have yet to drill a 4HP panel and test it and put it to use. Have to finally try to do that this week.

Can you easily tell what the jack spacing (ie from center point to center point) is? I can check with caliper at home of course, but would make the process a minute or two faster.
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:35 am

Jacks are 12.5mm centre to centre.

Good to see people are building theirs! This is the first design I've put out in the world and it's great to see people are bringing them to life. :bananaguitar:

I've replaced the picture in the original post with an updated photo of the current board and panel, they look almost the same as the original, just some minor differences.

All orders which have been paid for so far have been shipped. Keep them coming!

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:43 am

Cheers :) Will try to get the panel done ASAP then!
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

jmagin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jmagin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:20 pm

Some alternatives (USA, Digikey availability):

The resistor varieties you mentioned seem less common from Digikey anyway. Looks like any 1/8 W resistor should probably fit. I've ordered some Stackpole RNF series 1k and 10k resistors for myself. Initially tried to find some 0.1% resistors, but the only small and cheap ones were 1%.

Also CUI MJ-3536 jacks seem to fit perfectly.

I think although you mention 100nF as poly, the only things I've ever seen with that lead spacing (.1" / 2.5mm) are MLCC (ceramic) capacitors. Which is just fine for supply bypassing anyway.

Will update once I have it all together. :)

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:54 pm

mmagin wrote:Some alternatives (USA, Digikey availability):

The resistor varieties you mentioned seem less common from Digikey anyway. Looks like any 1/8 W resistor should probably fit. I've ordered some Stackpole RNF series 1k and 10k resistors for myself. Initially tried to find some 0.1% resistors, but the only small and cheap ones were 1%.

Also CUI MJ-3536 jacks seem to fit perfectly.

I think although you mention 100nF as poly, the only things I've ever seen with that lead spacing (.1" / 2.5mm) are MLCC (ceramic) capacitors. Which is just fine for supply bypassing anyway.

Will update once I have it all together. :)
Thanks for the info, yeah the resistor footprint I used just looks like a regular 1/8W one. I think using 0.1% resistors would have probably been overkill on this anyway, I feel like there are a lot more sources of inaccuracies in a Eurorack system.

Thanks for the info on those jacks, I looked at the datasheet and the footprint is identical, which should help anyone wanting to order all the parts from one place.

Right you are about the bypass caps, they are ceramic. I'll fix that in my original post.

All boards ordered so far have been shipped now, enjoy!

Opnotic
Common Wiggler

Post by Opnotic » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm in for a PCB/Panel set if any avail in current run yet, or future. Nice vibe in the demos btw.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:16 am

Opnotic wrote:I'm in for a PCB/Panel set if any avail in current run yet, or future. Nice vibe in the demos btw.
Thanks! I've sent you a PM about ordering.

Also to make building this a little easier for everyone I've put together a Mouser cart with all the parts (apart from the power header) here:

https://au.mouser.com/ProjectManager/Pr ... 4c441ba743

If someone could check that link works and you don't need to be logged into my account that would be great, I've never shared a Mouser project before.

Note that the jacks and nuts in this cart are more than half the cost of the project, and the Thonk PJ302M jack is the same footprint and much cheaper. The Thonks need to be bought in a lot of 50 and they're currently out of stock so you may want to get the Mouser ones. It can be easier just ordering everything in one go as well. Also note that the cart contains 10x jacks and nuts even though you only need 8 for the module, this is because there's a price break at 10 so 10 is cheaper than 8. If you're ordering to build multiple modules then you should adjust the quantities accordingly.

maltemark
Ultra Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:16 am

Pcb/panel spoken for. Seems like a good friend to an azimuth ii!

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

All orders so far have now been shipped.

I set up a bigcartel store to make the ordering process a bit simpler, it can be found here:

http://worngelectronics.bigcartel.com

First post is updated with this info, from now on you should be able to order without needing so many PMs and emails and paypal invoices back and forth.

jmagin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jmagin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:56 pm

Works great! Small nit-pick about the board layout -- it's a really tight fit for the ferrite beads if using a shrouded header. In fact, it's a good thing I put the header in first so I could bend the ferrite bead leads around it.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:54 am

mmagin wrote:Works great! Small nit-pick about the board layout -- it's a really tight fit for the ferrite beads if using a shrouded header. In fact, it's a good thing I put the header in first so I could bend the ferrite bead leads around it.
Yeah it isn't designed for shrouded headers, I don't like them because they can give users a false sense of security that any cable that fits it will be the right way round. I know if I make the cable it'll be right, but I've bought modules from commercial manufacturers that had the red stripe going to pin 10 of the header not pin 1, and putting one of those cables into a shrouded header guarantees it's reversed.

In a perfect world all modules would use shrouded headers and all cables would be made correctly, but that's not the world we live in. :) That said on future designs I'll provide a bit more space so people can use shrouded headers if they choose to, people who make their own modules should be able to figure out when they've been given a cable with the connector on backwards. Thanks for the feedback. :guinness:

oootini
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oootini » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:14 am

this looks great. anyone planning an ALU panel?

Pierrelegere
Common Wiggler

Post by Pierrelegere » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:54 am

That's a great addition, just ordered a set, thanks!!

Would it also run on +/- 15V?

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:04 pm

oootini wrote:this looks great. anyone planning an ALU panel?
I don't know of anyone planning one, but if somebody did I'd provide the panel design to make it easier for them.

I haven't tested this on +-15V but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work perfectly.

Pierrelegere
Common Wiggler

Post by Pierrelegere » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:14 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: I haven't tested this on +-15V but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work perfectly.
thanks!!

Pierrelegere
Common Wiggler

Post by Pierrelegere » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:16 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:... but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work perfectly.
famous last words.. :hihi: :hihi:

oootini
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oootini » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:11 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
oootini wrote:this looks great. anyone planning an ALU panel?
I don't know of anyone planning one, but if somebody did I'd provide the panel design to make it easier for them.

I haven't tested this on +-15V but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work perfectly.
I'm in. Your panel is ace. :) can't wait to build this.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Finally finished mine, it's not pretty as I didn't spend much time on the panel this time, but it works as expected = great. :) Thanks!

oootini
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oootini » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:44 am

50 NE5532 chips for 2 quid? are they that plentiful that they can be sold this cheaply from China?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/50pcs-NE5532P-NE ... SwPhdVUJcF

Return to “Music Tech DIY”