[Shipping] Euro DIY Mid/Side Encoder/Decoder PCB/panel

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply

I would be interested in:

Through-hole PCB
44
63%
SMT PCB
26
37%
 
Total votes: 70

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2984
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:01 am

Post by flts » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:51 am

oootini wrote:50 NE5532 chips for 2 quid? are they that plentiful that they can be sold this cheaply from China?
It's possible. Musikding sells NE5532A for 0.29e a piece when you buy ten, I don't see why random Chinese sellers couldn't sell the standard non-A version (A is guaranteed low noise part so standard may be inferior in specs) for that cheap.

I'd probably just buy a bunch of A-version from Musikding or similar though as it's so cheap anyway...
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:12 pm

oootini wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
oootini wrote:this looks great. anyone planning an ALU panel?
I don't know of anyone planning one, but if somebody did I'd provide the panel design to make it easier for them.
I'm in. Your panel is ace. :) can't wait to build this.
Thanks! I know my panel design is a little polarising but I wanted to put some of my own aesthetic into it. Personally I miss the lightning bolts on the original Maths.
oootini wrote:50 NE5532 chips for 2 quid? are they that plentiful that they can be sold this cheaply from China?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/50pcs-NE5532P-NE ... SwPhdVUJcF
That's crazy cheap. The listing body says something about an infra-red sensor so either the title or the body text is wrong. I guess it's up to you if you want to take a punt on it, I don't have a huge amount of experience with parts from ebay but generally I think of the time it takes me waiting around for parts to arrive and the time it takes to fix things if the parts are wrong as being worth a lot, so I wouldn't risk a two-week delay to save $5, that's just my perspective though. I hate waiting for parts to arrive when I've got boards sitting there ready to go.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:15 pm

flts wrote:Image

Finally finished mine, it's not pretty as I didn't spend much time on the panel this time, but it works as expected = great. :) Thanks!
Looks nice, glad you're happy with it.

User avatar
oootini
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:02 am
Location: Cork, Ireland

Post by oootini » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:15 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
oootini wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
oootini wrote:this looks great. anyone planning an ALU panel?
I don't know of anyone planning one, but if somebody did I'd provide the panel design to make it easier for them.
I'm in. Your panel is ace. :) can't wait to build this.
Thanks! I know my panel design is a little polarising but I wanted to put some of my own aesthetic into it. Personally I miss the lightning bolts on the original Maths.
oootini wrote:50 NE5532 chips for 2 quid? are they that plentiful that they can be sold this cheaply from China?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/50pcs-NE5532P-NE ... SwPhdVUJcF
That's crazy cheap. The listing body says something about an infra-red sensor so either the title or the body text is wrong. I guess it's up to you if you want to take a punt on it, I don't have a huge amount of experience with parts from ebay but generally I think of the time it takes me waiting around for parts to arrive and the time it takes to fix things if the parts are wrong as being worth a lot, so I wouldn't risk a two-week delay to save $5, that's just my perspective though. I hate waiting for parts to arrive when I've got boards sitting there ready to go.
i didn't bother in the end - i found another UK based seller and bought 5 NE35532P chips for a reasonable. I'm guessing the diffference between A and P is negilible. :bananaguitar:

i also agree about the maths lightning bolts. inspired design IMO. a minor classic!

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:35 pm

oootini wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
oootini wrote:this looks great. anyone planning an ALU panel?
I don't know of anyone planning one, but if somebody did I'd provide the panel design to make it easier for them.

I haven't tested this on +-15V but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work perfectly.
I'm in. Your panel is ace. :) can't wait to build this.
I've been thinking about the aluminium panel situation, I'd love to offer them but I can't find a local source for them that's affordable.

I've decided I'm going to open up the panel source files for anyone to use/copy/modify etc. so they can make their own or if somebody wanted to do a run of aluminium panels they could. The question is what format do people want them in? Just a technical drawing with all measurements included? Gerbers? .dxf? I designed them in diptrace so there are a few different export options.

User avatar
Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: Norway

Post by Starspawn » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:22 am

Just measurements are fine, but metric please ;)

User avatar
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5632
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: on a big voyage

Post by Funky40 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Vcoadsr wrote: F1, F2 - Mouser part number - 650-RXEF010 http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/T ... KJbpuLU%3d
Hello,
got my boards in, much Thanks !

Q:
can i substitute the fuse with something or just bridge with a wire ? ( not familiar with that part )
or has somebody a source in europe for the fuse ?
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Vcoadsr wrote: F1, F2 - Mouser part number - 650-RXEF010 http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/T ... KJbpuLU%3d
Hello,
got my boards in, much Thanks !

Q:
can i substitute the fuse with something or just bridge with a wire ? ( not familiar with that part )
or has somebody a source in europe for the fuse ?
You don't want to substitute the fuse for a wire, if you do and you plug in the power backwards you're shorting the power rails directly to ground, which is obviously not ideal. :)

Here's a link to a suitable part from element14, I believe they service most European countries.

http://au.element14.com/te-connectivity ... dp/2078398

User avatar
maltemark
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:39 am
Location: Gothenburg

Post by maltemark » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Image

Life is crap, resulting in crap build. Worked right out of the gates though, surprisingly. Had a bit of fun with the M/S encoder-decoder plus an Azimuth II with CV controlled stereo width. I can imagine diving to some deep places with this pair of modules in hand!

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:31 pm

Doesn't look that crappy, maybe it's just your photography skills hiding it. :D

PCB and Panel sets are now available at modularaddict, they might work out cheaper once you factor in shipping if you're in the US, or you could add a set to an order you're putting in with them.

http://modularaddict.com/worng-midside-pcp

It makes me very happy to see that people are building these all over the world so keep the photos coming if you've got them! I've almost completed my next design which incorporates feedback that I've gotten from you guys so thanks a lot! :party:

User avatar
thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4767
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: East Bay, CA US

Post by thetwlo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:22 pm

so great! missed this one, until I saw it at ModularAddict, too bad they don't carry the jacks.

Any favorite op amps for it? The OPA2604 is pretty reasonable at Tayda, but the 5532 is a solid choice.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:07 pm

thetwlo wrote:so great! missed this one, until I saw it at ModularAddict, too bad they don't carry the jacks.

Any favorite op amps for it? The OPA2604 is pretty reasonable at Tayda, but the 5532 is a solid choice.
The OPA2604 is a great op amp, I don't know if its advantages over the NE5532 would be noticeable for the difference in price though. It doesn't need to drive a lot of current, both are going to give you low enough noise that they won't be the weak link in the system, DC offset is very low in both cases.

Bottom line is I doubt you'd hear the difference between them in normal usage.

Thonk are due to get the jacks back in stock soon, I've also seen them very cheaply on Alibaba, but the quantities there are pretty big.

User avatar
Monobass
thonk.co.uk
Posts: 8750
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 5:39 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Post by Monobass » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:44 pm

Yeah hopefully the jacks will be back by the end of this week.

I also have a run of 25 full kits of the LRMSMSLR coming as soon as they turn up :)
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I've decided I'm going to open up the panel source files for anyone to use/copy/modify etc. so they can make their own or if somebody wanted to do a run of aluminium panels they could. The question is what format do people want them in? Just a technical drawing with all measurements included? Gerbers? .dxf? I designed them in diptrace so there are a few different export options.
Starspawn wrote:Just measurements are fine, but metric please ;)
Of course metric, it's not the middle ages. ;)

Sorry I dragged my feet a bit on this, been rather busy including working on my next design which should be ready to unveil soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stab Frenzy on Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Monobass
thonk.co.uk
Posts: 8750
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 5:39 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Post by Monobass » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:17 pm

exporting gerbers as a layered PDF is definitely handy
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:21 pm

Monobass wrote:exporting gerbers as a layered PDF is definitely handy
I don't think I can do that from DipTrace.

User avatar
Monobass
thonk.co.uk
Posts: 8750
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 5:39 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Post by Monobass » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:25 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Monobass wrote:exporting gerbers as a layered PDF is definitely handy
I don't think I can do that from DipTrace.
I do it via gerbv... it works 90% of the time :)
Frankly it is overkill on a simple panel like this though.
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

modularaddict
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:02 am
Location: WI

Post by modularaddict » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:20 am

thetwlo wrote:so great! missed this one, until I saw it at ModularAddict, too bad they don't carry the jacks.

Any favorite op amps for it? The OPA2604 is pretty reasonable at Tayda, but the 5532 is a solid choice.
Just got around to listing the jacks on the shop, in the event you (or someone else!) is interested: http://modularaddict.com/pj302m-jacks

User avatar
thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4767
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: East Bay, CA US

Post by thetwlo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:43 am

modularaddict wrote:
thetwlo wrote:so great! missed this one, until I saw it at ModularAddict, too bad they don't carry the jacks.

Any favorite op amps for it? The OPA2604 is pretty reasonable at Tayda, but the 5532 is a solid choice.
Just got around to listing the jacks on the shop, in the event you (or someone else!) is interested: http://modularaddict.com/pj302m-jacks
:sb: :party: Excellent!!!! thanks!

User avatar
ac
Common Wiggler
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Post by ac » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:06 pm

Finally found a chance to build mine, sounds great!

User avatar
oootini
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:02 am
Location: Cork, Ireland

Post by oootini » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:27 pm

just built and plugged it in. sounding great. really nice little thing to have for carving drones and what not. also have this sitting beside an mi clouds.. :guinness:

thanks mr worng!!!

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:18 pm

ac wrote:Finally found a chance to build mine, sounds great!
Glad to hear it!
oootini wrote:just built and plugged it in. sounding great. really nice little thing to have for carving drones and what not. also have this sitting beside an mi clouds.. :guinness:

thanks mr worng!!!
My pleasure, glad you're enjoying it! A clouds is on my DIY horizon, I reckon manipulating the stereo width of a signal with this on the way in to clouds could sound amazing! That'll keep me going while I'm soldering 0603 parts. :bang:

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:18 pm

Now available from SynthCube as well: http://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?rou ... ct_id=1004

Opnotic
Common Wiggler
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:26 pm
Location: Portland USA

Post by Opnotic » Wed May 04, 2016 1:35 am

Holy sheet, this thing is fun. I built it up the other day but didn't see if it worked other than making sure if it let a power provider turn on, -then threw it in the rack. A few nights went by and I had the thought to at least put it on the way to the external mixer since the input and output are normaled. It was over from there. Pretty sure my girlfriend is going to leave me now for a mono-minded person as this is too much fun.

User avatar
Monobass
thonk.co.uk
Posts: 8750
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 5:39 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Post by Monobass » Fri May 27, 2016 9:22 am

I have full kits for sale on thonk

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/worng-lrmsmslr/

Image
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”