DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Stages Sanity check

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:24 pm

funketek wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:41 pm
Not technically an unsuccessful build yet, but I am confusing myself on the orientation of the RECOM DC converter. My understanding is that Pin 2 is the one by the spool and it should be in the lower right corner on the PCB. I have attached a picture of how I am planning to solder it. However, the top view/bottom view of the pin-out has me second-guessing myself. Could I please get a sanity check that this is the right orientation?
Theres a diagram in the silk screen showing the inductor (round thing) and the IC (squareish thing)

NeolithicElectrophones
Wiggling with Experience

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:00 pm

Edit: Bad pcb, all good now.
Last edited by NeolithicElectrophones on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeolithicElectrophones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:58 pm

Edit:
After scoping, the issue turned out to be incorrect switch routing on the pcb. Did some trace fixing and all is working.

snowtires
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snowtires » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:16 pm

Hello everyone, I just finished a Braids build and everything is working, except there is a constant note playing when the output is patched. I replaced the MMBT3904 and the two resistors on the gate jack and that didn't do anything, so I'm about out of ideas. This is the first oscillator in my rack, is this maybe supposed to be how it works? I kind of feel like probably not, but you never know.

NeolithicElectrophones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Unless you're using the internal vca through the menu, it should output a constant tone. Oscillators without internal vca or patched into an external one will just drone. That's how we all do drone patches at least. But just to sort out any confusion, is it just one continuous note that doesn't change when moving the coarse and fine tune pots? That would be a build issue.

snowtires
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snowtires » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:40 pm

Thanks for replying before I break something trying to fix it! No, the pitch changes along with the pots, I was just confused as to what I was doing wrong. For once it seems like the answer is nothing!

NeolithicElectrophones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:47 pm

Great! Congrats on your first oscillator build! Be sure to try out the Renaissance firmware on it, it is KILLER. The manual for braids goes into the depth of the menu system and how to set up the internal vca to be triggered. I personally don't think the internal envelope is long enough for pads and such, but it makes for great shorter keyboard and percussive stuff.

snowtires
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snowtires » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:17 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:47 pm
Great! Congrats on your first oscillator build! Be sure to try out the Renaissance firmware on it, it is KILLER. The manual for braids goes into the depth of the menu system and how to set up the internal vca to be triggered. I personally don't think the internal envelope is long enough for pads and such, but it makes for great shorter keyboard and percussive stuff.
Thanks again, I uploaded the Renaissane firmware and lo and behold I can switch the direction of the encoder! Awesome!

NeolithicElectrophones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:01 am

:sb: :party:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”