DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

cordoba899
Learning to Wiggle

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by cordoba899 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:58 pm

Evening friends,
I think I traced down my error to a short caused by a connection from one thonkiconn hole to ground. It seems to be caused directly under the jack, on the other side of the pcb, so no super easy fix sadly. Does someone have tips on how to best desolder jacks? I have a hot air station if that helps. I read that one way is to just cut the jacks with pliers and then remove the stem as usual - is there a better way? Cheers!

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:49 pm

cordoba899 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:58 pm
Evening friends,
I think I traced down my error to a short caused by a connection from one thonkiconn hole to ground. It seems to be caused directly under the jack, on the other side of the pcb, so no super easy fix sadly. Does someone have tips on how to best desolder jacks? I have a hot air station if that helps. I read that one way is to just cut the jacks with pliers and then remove the stem as usual - is there a better way? Cheers!
Set the hot ar to 325C and heat the back of the jack until it lifts out EASILY. do NOT try to force it out, once it reflows it should pretty much drop out

Mu Meson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mu Meson » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:57 pm

Altitude909 wrote:TIts currently broken on windows10 (i just tried it on a clean machine) and there is no reverting to Vbox 5 since windows now blocks that as a security hazard. The current Vagrant and virtualbox combination do not work out of the box. I managed to fix it somehow and havent touched it since but I cant tell you how i did it. I was some permission thing, if you boot the VM through virtualbox and watch where is craps out, that should point you in the right direction.
I completely reinstalled the environment - vagrant, git, VirtualBox, all of it.. I even managed to downgrade the VirtualBox to 5.2.44 - perhaps I could do this because I have Windows LTSC Enterprise 10 V1809 and it is less locked down. Of course this may mean I have a different weird problem that 'normal' Windows does not have. When I run up the VM in GUI mode I get this :
Capture.PNG
I have full rights to the /vagrant directory and am running the command box as an administrator

:bang: :bang: :bang:

I think I need to accept vagrant /destroy ... vagrant up and waiting ten minutes .. it's not the end of the world but now I have spent a whole day trying to fix it.. :help:

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:40 pm

yeah, i spent two. I should have written down what the fix was, but clearly its due to that "An error occurred while mounting /vagrant" bit

It was something with the guest permissions. Maybe try this: https://github.com/dotless-de/vagrant-vbguest

funkytransport
Learning to Wiggle

Post by funkytransport » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:52 am

pjbulls wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:56 pm
I was thinking that at first, these dual colour LEDs are quite sensitive to the currents going into each colour to make them look sufficiently distinct. But, Plaits only ever lights one colour at a time during normal operation.

You did get common anode ones, right? Pretty much all other modules run common cathodes, I missed that myself before.
FIXED!

both these modules had booted into colourblind mode first. very strange. all working now.

mossa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mossa » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:45 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:56 pm
(I’ve managed to lock STM32s when messing around with eg the serial ports or doing silly things with them in hardware). You can use openocd try something like this:

init
reset halt
stm32f4x unlock 0
reset halt
exit
Ive been trying to figure out how to use openocd since im a noob with programming. I created a file called ocd-unlock.cfg which contained the code you provided. However the target file has some errors in it and im unsure how it can be fixed. Any ideas how I can solve this or am I doing it all wrong? (Couldn't find a single useful tutorial out there)
Attachments
Capture1.PNG

Spastic_Colon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spastic_Colon » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:38 am

Any thoughts appreciated
Spastic_Colon wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:14 pm
Hey all, Trying to get to the bottom of a couple of issues with my Stages build. Output 3, and 4 LEDs are non responsive. I've tested them with a multimeter and both work as they should. I've also got some strange voltages going on. All outputs are kicking out around 10v, except for output 3 which is approximately 5v. I have successfully flashed the STM, and the module enters calibration mode as it should. i've checked and confirmed continuity on N$6, N$9, N$10 and N$43 pins from the LED driver. Some photos below for references.

I did wonder if I've perhaps misread something, or made a mistake from Forest Caver's excellent flashing and calibration notes that might explain the voltages, but have triple checked and I believe I'm following them to the letter.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced any similar weird behavior with their builds? Thanks a million in advance for any ideas, pointers, or general comments if you think I'm missing anything glaringly obvious!

bawbag
Common Wiggler

Post by bawbag » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:19 am

Take a look at the parts I highlighted. Seems like a dry joint and a couple of under-soldered connections
Attachments
InkedIMG-7809_LI.jpg

Mu Meson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mu Meson » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:45 am

Altitude909 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:40 pm wrote: yeah, i spent two. I should have written down what the fix was, but clearly its due to that "An error occurred while mounting /vagrant" bit

It was something with the guest permissions. Maybe try this: https://github.com/dotless-de/vagrant-vbguest
Nope VBGUEST didn't fix it, and neither did loading the file system drivers that get mentioned in the same thread...

However yey :hyper: :hyper: I fixed it ..

After building the VAGRANT environment, when the VAGRANT VM is booted the first time (which is the only time it works, thereafter the VM fails because it can't mount /VAGRANT) at the end of the boot sequence there is a message telling you that Ubuntu is out of date and inviting you to update it. I didn't do that because I was worried I might rip up dependencies inside the environment. However, if you run the update it fixes the /VAGRANT mount problem and the environment still seems to work. I have built some source and flashed a Branches and it looks good. This is with all the latest versions of Virtual Box and Vagrant loaded.

:hail: :hail:

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:04 pm

Well shit. I didnt do that either for the same reason. Will confirm over here..

*edit

confirmed

I think that actually was the fix I used here the first time since it remember it taking forever to upgrade

Return to “Music Tech DIY”