DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
Sikkboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 am

Re:

Post by Sikkboy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:51 am

forestcaver wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:13 am
Sikkboy wrote:I am also trying to progam a marbles, I recently got an stlinkv2 isol and I am getting this error. Anyone ever get this to happen?

Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v29 API v2 SWIM v7 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
Info : using stlink api v2
Info : Target voltage: 1.271984
Error: target voltage may be too low for reliable debugging
Error: init mode failed (unable to connect to the target)
in procedure 'init'
in procedure 'ocd_bouncer'
Either a soldering error or connection error (more likely). How are you connecting? Where are you getting your vcc reference? (you can jumper pins 1 and 19 on the stlinkv2 to get a 3.3 v ref)

See my blog - under modular-> notes - for the pinout or read the stlinkv2 manual.

www.batguitars.co.uk
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2019-07-24-18:15)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v29 API v2 SWIM v7 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
Info : using stlink api v2
Info : Target voltage: 1.275049
Error: target voltage may be too low for reliable debugging
Error: init mode failed (unable to connect to the target)
in procedure 'init'
in procedure 'ocd_bouncer'

make: *** [upload_combo_jtag_erase_first] Error 1

I got this. All the pins for the 3.3v in the stm32 are getting the correct voltage. I am not getting 3.3 volts out of pin 19 in the programmer. How would I got about fixing this? I am using the ST-LINK/V2 ISOL. I also noticed that the ST-LINK/V2 Isol does not provide the 3.3 volts by defualt. Is there a workaround to this issue or would I have to get a discovery board or an st-link/v2?
Last edited by Sikkboy on Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
4/9

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 am
Location: Australia

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 am

I would suggest reflowing everything down the chain connected to pin19.
I had similar problems when i first built nanorings and uclouds a while back - it was to do with a loose joint down the line (i think i remember it being a resister).

User avatar
Sikkboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 am

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by Sikkboy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:13 am

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 am
I would suggest reflowing everything down the chain connected to pin19.
I had similar problems when i first built nanorings and uclouds a while back - it was to do with a loose joint down the line (i think i remember it being a resister).
I measured pin 19 in the st-link (the pin that is supposed to supply 3.3v if I am not mistaken), I did not get the correct voltage using pin 20 as ground.
---
4/9

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 am
Location: Australia

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:17 am

yuka42 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:43 am
Hello!

What might cause the 4R7 resister to burn out on a uburst clouds? Ideas?
This happened to me when I first built uburst - my case was there was a short in the heatsink, because the heatsink is ground and on top of it is a voltage regulator with a power pin which was not too difficult to short power to ground. In my case (as my very second mutable instruments diy module) I did not recognise the smoke from the 4R7 as a warning sign and continued to test it, eventually frying the STM chip.

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 am
Location: Australia

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:19 am

Sikkboy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:13 am
c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 am
I would suggest reflowing everything down the chain connected to pin19.
I had similar problems when i first built nanorings and uclouds a while back - it was to do with a loose joint down the line (i think i remember it being a resister).
I measured pin 19 in the st-link (the pin that is supposed to supply 3.3v if I am not mistaken), I did not get the correct voltage using pin 20 as ground.
Sorry i didnt read your post properly. I thought you were referring to a pin on the STM chip on the module. Ignore what I said.

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 am
Location: Australia

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:25 am

Anyone who has build a Shades had problems getting the DC Offset function to work?

I followed the instructions on the MI website and when I connect a cv source into channel 2, leaving channel 1 unpatched, I cannot get an offset from adjusting channel 1's knob.

All channels seem to function fine individually.

User avatar
Sikkboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 am

Re:

Post by Sikkboy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:55 am

cnicht wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:29 am
Sikkboy wrote:
cnicht wrote:You should be seeing 3.3V with the pots at maximum.

Does the +3V3_A rail measure 3.3V?
Yes. Even the FM knob at max position measures 3.3v at the middle lug. Pin 14 of the corresponding 4051 measures the same voltage at its input, it measures 2.3v out of pin 3 (adc pots out).
Check soldering of 4051
So I rechecked the solder for the 4051. I noticed that I am using two different types of 4051's. Would this be an issue? I am still getting a slight pitch shift with no connection to the FM Input in the module.
---
4/9

User avatar
cnicht
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 am

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by cnicht » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:36 pm

What types of 4051 are you using?

duxcub
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:40 pm
Location: USA

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by duxcub » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:42 pm

duxcub wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:55 pm
Greets - Why is the IC1 - Block 3.3V regulator not installed. The MCU needs this.
Dude, I was just telling someone else I feel like I’m missing something totally simple and stupid. I even saw that IC1 on the schematic, but assumed since the BOM I had did not list a regulator for that slot, that it was not necessary. I don’t have one on EITHER of my boards. Can you provide me with a part# I can try? :doh:

I found https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Wu ... 52BA%3D%3D this, and it was definitely not on on the BOM I have. Time to order and wait a week, lol. Thanks tho :)
Of course it couldn’t be this easy. I got the part today, soldered it in place, checked i was getting 3.3v out. Ran the same procedure in Vagrant as before, and it still gives me the error message. I’m attaching some pics in case there is something obvious in the physical setup, or someone can make sense of the exact error message. This is a real bummer, hoping to figure this out so I know how to program these for future builds...

Edit: I had the jumpers on the discovery board set to use the onboard (put them back on before so i didn’t lose them). So after installing the new regulator, and setting the jumpers correctly, it seems to work! I need to solder the hardware on now to be sure tho :)

Image
Last edited by duxcub on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Sikkboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 am

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by Sikkboy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:52 pm

cnicht wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:36 pm
What types of 4051 are you using?
The one that I am having issues with is CM0517AAPG39V.The other ones are labeled CM051BG4AFFS and those seem to be working just fine.
---
4/9

User avatar
cnicht
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 am

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by cnicht » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:11 pm

Some 74HC variants of the 4051 won’t work correctly on 3.3V

I’m not sure about the ones you have.

User avatar
frequenzteiler
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 am
Location: Berlin

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by frequenzteiler » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:21 pm

about my marbles build - so . i got a few new parts after i fried the mcu - changed the mcu . and the module is up and running again. but i still have "x3" spitting out a wrong voltage. measuring at the pins of the dac its the same . --> turning the bias knob does not change anything on OUT D of the DAC .
that brought me to the conclusion - something is wrong with that DAC ?
but that is not the case - changed the dac and still the same issue.

its correct that x1 , x2 , x3 all should behave the same way when the bias is moved , right ?

User avatar
Sikkboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 am

Re: Re:

Post by Sikkboy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Sikkboy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:51 am
forestcaver wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:13 am
Sikkboy wrote:I am also trying to progam a marbles, I recently got an stlinkv2 isol and I am getting this error. Anyone ever get this to happen?

Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v29 API v2 SWIM v7 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
Info : using stlink api v2
Info : Target voltage: 1.271984
Error: target voltage may be too low for reliable debugging
Error: init mode failed (unable to connect to the target)
in procedure 'init'
in procedure 'ocd_bouncer'
Either a soldering error or connection error (more likely). How are you connecting? Where are you getting your vcc reference? (you can jumper pins 1 and 19 on the stlinkv2 to get a 3.3 v ref)

See my blog - under modular-> notes - for the pinout or read the stlinkv2 manual.

www.batguitars.co.uk
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2019-07-24-18:15)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v29 API v2 SWIM v7 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
Info : using stlink api v2
Info : Target voltage: 1.275049
Error: target voltage may be too low for reliable debugging
Error: init mode failed (unable to connect to the target)
in procedure 'init'
in procedure 'ocd_bouncer'

make: *** [upload_combo_jtag_erase_first] Error 1

I got this. All the pins for the 3.3v in the stm32 are getting the correct voltage. I am not getting 3.3 volts out of pin 19 in the programmer. How would I got about fixing this? I am using the ST-LINK/V2 ISOL.
I oticed that the ST-LINK/V2 ISOL does not provide the 3.3 volts by default. Is there a workaround to this issue or would I have to get a discovery board or an st-link/v2?
---
4/9

User avatar
Sikkboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 am

Re: Re:

Post by Sikkboy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Sikkboy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:46 pm
Sikkboy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:51 am
forestcaver wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:13 am
Sikkboy wrote:I am also trying to progam a marbles, I recently got an stlinkv2 isol and I am getting this error. Anyone ever get this to happen?

Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v29 API v2 SWIM v7 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
Info : using stlink api v2
Info : Target voltage: 1.271984
Error: target voltage may be too low for reliable debugging
Error: init mode failed (unable to connect to the target)
in procedure 'init'
in procedure 'ocd_bouncer'
Either a soldering error or connection error (more likely). How are you connecting? Where are you getting your vcc reference? (you can jumper pins 1 and 19 on the stlinkv2 to get a 3.3 v ref)

See my blog - under modular-> notes - for the pinout or read the stlinkv2 manual.

www.batguitars.co.uk
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2019-07-24-18:15)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v29 API v2 SWIM v7 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
Info : using stlink api v2
Info : Target voltage: 1.275049
Error: target voltage may be too low for reliable debugging
Error: init mode failed (unable to connect to the target)
in procedure 'init'
in procedure 'ocd_bouncer'

make: *** [upload_combo_jtag_erase_first] Error 1

I got this. All the pins for the 3.3v in the stm32 are getting the correct voltage. I am not getting 3.3 volts out of pin 19 in the programmer. How would I got about fixing this? I am using the ST-LINK/V2 ISOL.
I noticed that the ST-LINK/V2 ISOL does not provide the 3.3 volts by default. Is there a workaround to this issue or would I have to get a discovery board or an st-link/v2?
---
4/9

User avatar
frequenzteiler
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 am
Location: Berlin

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by frequenzteiler » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:59 pm

delete
Last edited by frequenzteiler on Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sikkboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 am

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by Sikkboy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:12 pm

frequenzteiler wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:59 pm
you can jumper pins 1 and 19 on the stlinkv2 to get a 3.3 v ref

the manual for the isol shows the same pinouts as for the stlink/v2

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource ... 026748.pdf

if it still does not connect its most likely something else . you could also try to connect the stlink via this software https://www.st.com/en/development-tools ... nk004.html
to exclude errors within vagrant or usb issues
The thing is in the manual it states that the VDD is Available on ST-LINK/V2 only, not connected on ST-LINK/V2-ISOL. (p12). So I was left on wondering whether or not it was supplying the 3.3v. I checked the pins with the voltmeter and I did not a similar value.
---
4/9

User avatar
frequenzteiler
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 am
Location: Berlin

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by frequenzteiler » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:27 pm

true . tho . i just checked the manual .. ouch . :(
sorry .
maybe try to hook up 3.3 v from somewhere else or take the 5v usb power and put a small 3.3v regulator circuit in between .
or simply buy a stlink / v2 for 20 euro on mouser and sell the isol

User avatar
frequenzteiler
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 am
Location: Berlin

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by frequenzteiler » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:40 pm

there is also other small solutions like this :

https://www.ebay.de/i/312887809314?chn= ... gJk8_D_BwE

or

Youmile ST-LINK V2 Emulator

but if its me i would get a disco board or the stlink / v2
these small emu boards dont work reliable either sometimes - but i have seen ppl using those with success as well

User avatar
JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:50 pm
Location: Seattle, WA.

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by JakoGreyshire » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:12 am

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:17 am
yuka42 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:43 am
Hello!

What might cause the 4R7 resister to burn out on a uburst clouds? Ideas?
This happened to me when I first built uburst - my case was there was a short in the heatsink, because the heatsink is ground and on top of it is a voltage regulator with a power pin which was not too difficult to short power to ground. In my case (as my very second mutable instruments diy module) I did not recognise the smoke from the 4R7 as a warning sign and continued to test it, eventually frying the STM chip.
I had this happen to me on my uBurst as well... I found out that there are a few versions of the PCB and onone of the early versions the heatsink mask on the PCB can touch the ground tag on one of the potentiometers on the front of the side of the module. All I had to do was bend that ground tag up out of the way from the heatsink mask...

Pictures are always fun to look at...

JAko.
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

oldrobot
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:46 pm
Location: Poland

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by oldrobot » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:20 pm

Hey guys,
I've built the Rings yesterday. The firmware was updated successfully, but LEDs are dead. I've tested the soldering and it seems to be fine. The chip receives power and there are no shorts. For some reason legs #8, 51, 52, 53 have no voltage on them. I've decided that the issue is in firmware, so I've used this "Hello World" firmware to test - and still nothing.
Maybe somebody knows the reason or where to dig next? Any help would be appreciated.

ps Sorry for the mess - didn't clean it up yet
Rings.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
emmaker
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:07 pm
Location: PDX

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by emmaker » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:05 pm

oldrobot wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:20 pm
Hey guys,
I've built the Rings yesterday. The firmware was updated successfully, but LEDs are dead. I've tested the soldering and it seems to be fine. The chip receives power and there are no shorts. For some reason legs #8, 51, 52, 53 have no voltage on them. I've decided that the issue is in firmware, so I've used this "Hello World" firmware to test - and still nothing.
Maybe somebody knows the reason or where to dig next? Any help would be appreciated.

ps Sorry for the mess - didn't clean it up yet

Rings.jpg
Looks like there maybe a solder blob on the right side of the processor between about a 1/3 to 1/2 up from the bottom. Might check the current limit resistors for the LEDs and see if they are the right values.

User avatar
cnicht
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 am

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by cnicht » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:09 am

Try dry fitting sockets J6 and J8.

These carry the normalisation signal which is fed back to the microcontroller

oldrobot
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:46 pm
Location: Poland

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by oldrobot » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:18 am

emmaker wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:05 pm
Looks like there maybe a solder blob on the right side of the processor between about a 1/3 to 1/2 up from the bottom. Might check the current limit resistors for the LEDs and see if they are the right values.
You're talking about the bulb between processor legs? This was the first thing I've checked. And unfortunately each single pin of processor goes where it should go with no shorts. Resistors are also ok, all of them are 180.
As I said the issue is on the processor side - legs which should power up LEDs have no voltage at all. If I send 3.3V to those legs manually - LEDs become alive.
Last edited by oldrobot on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

oldrobot
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:46 pm
Location: Poland

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by oldrobot » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:34 am

cnicht wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:09 am
Try dry fitting sockets J6 and J8.

These carry the normalisation signal which is fed back to the microcontroller
You mean to install jack connectors to those sockets?
Did it and still nothing unfortunately.
I understand that there may be some statements in the original firmware to check if some jack or potentiometer is installed. But why even the 'hello world' firmware which have simple LEDs blinking function doesn't work?

User avatar
forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:41 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by forestcaver » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:59 am

Is that solder paste or flux flooding all the areas between passives eg r39/r40 etc etc (and likely between pins of ic1 - the voltage regulator) ???? Ps looks also like you have dry joints as well as bridges on the stm32 - but always hard to tell from a photo....
What fault finding have you done? Do you get the correct reference voltages as well as the 3.3v rails and +/-12v rails?
(The problem is unlikely to be the firmware....)

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”