DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

mrtweed
Wiggling with Experience

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by mrtweed » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:48 am

hi folks. ive got a rings where the brightness, damping and position pots dont work manually but the corresponding cv inputs work just fine. any ideas where i should check? pots seem fine. thanks very much.

emmaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:38 pm

mrtweed wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:48 am
hi folks. ive got a rings where the brightness, damping and position pots dont work manually but the corresponding cv inputs work just fine. any ideas where i should check? pots seem fine. thanks very much.
For V30 boards check sheet 2 of the schematics. The pots go into IC4 a CD4051 mux and then to the processor. Get the data sheet for a CD4051.

Validate that the attenuation pots are working. If not then check the 4051 power (~3.3V), INH being at ground and MUX_ADDR_x pins (A, B, C) from the processor. If all those look good then the 4051 might be bad.
brightness att -> X6 -> pin 2
frequency att -> X4 -> pin 1
position att -> X2 -> pin 15
damp att - > X0 -> pin 13

If the above test looks good I'd check to see if the voltages at these pins are the same as the pot's wipers.
brightness -> X7 -> pin 4
damp -> X5 -> pin 5
position -> X3 -> pin 12

Interestingly these are odd numbers. If the geometry att pot (IC4, X1, pin 14) doesn't work then check pin 11, A on the 4051 to see if it is toggling. That is the even/odd select pin for the mux.

Jay S

mrtweed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrtweed » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:51 pm

Comprehensive answer, thank you!

Datum
Common Wiggler

Post by Datum » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:40 pm

OrganFixer wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:43 pm
I just went through my eight hour struggle of of figuring out how to compile hex files. It is actually all written here https://github.com/pichenettes/mutable-dev-environment if you download all the software and everything they list, step by step, it just works. Like I said it took me eight hours to get it to work but it was worth it. But if you just want me to compile it and send it to you I will. Let me know.
Thanks for offering to help! I was unable to get the Mutable dev environment to work due to a number of issues but I was able to find all the .hex files here: https://github.com/hadesbox/eurorack-with-binaries which was really helpful. I was able to flash my Branches without issue using that file and AVR Dudess on Windows 10 :tu: .

snowtires
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snowtires » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:40 pm

Hello!

I have a 95% working Veils build: the VCAs function properly, but when I power up, all 4 LEDs light up and stay lit until patched.

I have an LFO patched into it: the LEDs flash in time and change color with + and - voltage, but all of the daisy-chained channels below the patched channel will flash along, regardless of their pots being at zero. If I patch into them with a second LFO, they follow the behavior of the second LFO like they should. So it seems like something that communicates LED states being on/off is messed up.

I feel like it's probably something with IC2 which one of the LM358 op amps, but the solder job is pretty good if I do say so myself (I reflowed both LM358s to be safe), and I don't know if the LEDs would work at all if an op amp was bad.

Is there an resistor or capacitor or something that should be pulling things to ground when they aren't plugged? Could this be the result of a bad op amp?

qmulus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qmulus » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:23 am

Well, I've finished building all of the modules for my rack (31 in total, mostly Mutable). Now, I just have to work on some troubleshooting and calibration.

After succesfully calibrating CARA (Marbles), I've hit a wall when it comes to calibrating Stages. I have checked the documentation, but I can't make heads or tails of it.

Is there a more comprehensive guide to calibrating Stages out there?

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:59 pm

qmulus wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:23 am
Is there a more comprehensive guide to calibrating Stages out there?
There are a few possible ways you could calibrate it - the easiest (from a doing-it) point of view is to do it like the factory MI modules - use a harness (a program running on your computer) that communicates over one of the serial ports - it tells you what to do and measure the values, enter them on your computer and it stores the values in flash.
A really hacky way of doing it is to force the module to output fixed values, calculate the dac offsets and scaling externally and then code it directly in the module and recompile.
The first way is more work to implement - I did most of the coding but lost interest. As I only had two modules to calibrate I did it the second way - it only took an hour or so to implement - so was really quick to do. It works well but is a bit hacky.
I’m not aware of any other published calibration routines - but there may be some others....
I wrote some brief notes on the second way of doing it on my blog and GitHub. (https://github.com/forestcaver/MIStagesStuff)

mrtweed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrtweed » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:03 am

emmaker wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:38 pm
Validate that the attenuation pots are working. If not then check the 4051 power (~3.3V), INH being at ground and MUX_ADDR_x pins (A, B, C) from the processor. If all those look good then the 4051 might be bad.
thank you sir! it was a dodgy 4051, working perfectly now.

emmaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:03 pm

mrtweed wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:03 am
emmaker wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:38 pm
thank you sir! it was a dodgy 4051, working perfectly now.
Excellent!

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:54 am

Hi there,
I'm building Elements, so far I've soldered all power supply and main processor components and I think it's the moment to flash the STM.
I'm on mac OS 10.11.6, have installed Virtual Box and vagrant… seems to work on terminal. Since I'm not an IT expert, can you give me a step by step cause I don't know how to continue.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:07 am

make -f elements/bootloader/makefile hex

make -f elements/makefile

make -f elements/makefile upload_combo_jtag

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:09 am

On terminal?
Here is the answer:
vagrant@vagrant:~$ make -f elements/bootloader/makefile hex
make: elements/bootloader/makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target 'elements/bootloader/makefile'. Stop.
vagrant@vagrant:~$

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:16 am

youre in the wrong directory. It should start you in the mutable-instruments folder, something might be off. type "ls" for the directory and "cd" to the mutable one.

How did you build the VM?

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:24 am

I've installed VirtualBox and Vagrant using this video:

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:30 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:16 am
youre in the wrong directory. It should start you in the mutable-instruments folder, something might be off. type "ls" for the directory and "cd" to the mutable one.
I don't know where to type "ls" and "cd"

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:48 am

IDK if your vm is set up right.

it should start you here:
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant/eurorack-modules$

anyway:

vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant$ ls

will give you the contents of the directory where you should see "eurorack-modules"

then

vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant$ cd eurorack-modules

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:08 am

Can you give me informations on how to set up right?

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:15 am

I've created a folder on my desktop "my-first-vagrant". Then on Terminal I typed "cd desktop/my-first-vagrant" and on next line "vagrant init bento/ubuntu-16.04"
So the "Vagrantfile" is on "my-first-vagrant" folder. Then I copied the "mutable-dev-environment-master" folder on "my-first-vagrant".

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:32 am

nope. Not even close.

In your terminal, simply:

git clone https://github.com/pichenettes/mutable- ... onment.git (copy that link, its truncating it here)

go to that directory and:

vagrant up

It should take about 15mins to put everything together

then vagrant ssh (or however u ssh into vagrant)

the instructions are here: https://github.com/pichenettes/mutable-dev-environment

you're trying to go from a vanilla linux box, technically you could do that but unless you know exactly how to build her tool chain exactly like she has it, you're in for a rough ride. Use the prebuilt vagrant box

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:43 am

Thanks for your help Altitude909! So the software is successfully installed in terminal, I simply don't know exactly what is installed and where… sorry I'm a bit lost… When you said "go to that directory…", can you say where I'm supposed to go?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:51 am

when you git clone it will create directory somewhere. IDK where it puts it on a mac, just do a directory list from where-ever you ran the git clone command and you should see it. the "vagrant up" command needs to be run from there. Once that completes, you need to connect to the VM. Again, IDK how its done on mac but on windows I just run "vagrant ssh" and that will log you into the VM

steviet
Common Wiggler

Post by steviet » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:56 am

You're going to need a crash course in Linux my friend!

From your terminal you cloned that "folder" with Altitude909's direction. That folder should now exist in the same place you started in terminal (probably right on the root of your user folder). So:

1. Open up terminal again
2. Type "cd mutable" then click tab, it should auto complete to whatever the name of that folder is, then click enter.
3. You are now in the folder you need to be in
4. Enter "vagrant up", wait for a moment.This is starting the "virtual machine"
5. Enter "vagrant ssh", this connects you to the "virtual machine". You will be dropped onto a "command line interface" that looks like this:

vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant/eurorack-modules$

From here, you can start running the "make -f elements...." commands.

Hope this helps! Another option is finding precompiled firmware files, and using a GUI or AVRDUDE to flash the chips. But you've already come this far! You can do it!
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:04 am

Yes, I'm really dumb on these Linux things. Well there is a folder that has been created on the previous command "git clone https://github.com/pichenettes/mutable- ... onment.git". What is the name of this folder?

steviet
Common Wiggler

Post by steviet » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:10 am

It is likely called "mutable-dev-environment-master". Unless you used that "GIT" command within a strange folder, it should be right where you start when you open terminal.

If you open terminal and type "ls" you should see "mutable-dev-environment-master". Then you can start at step 2 from my post above.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 am

OK, I've find the folder and I managed to enter the 3 command line, I just got an error message:

"Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
Error: open failed
in procedure 'init'
in procedure 'ocd_bouncer'

make: *** [upload_combo_jtag] Error 1"

Return to “Music Tech DIY”