DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Hales
Common Wiggler

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by Hales » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:07 pm

I plugged the ST-link, which has flashed 3/4 times, I hope it's a good sign?! What's the next steps?
and a new window "mutable-dev-environment…" appear on virtual box:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steviet
Common Wiggler

Post by steviet » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:48 pm

When you say it "flashed 3/4" times, do you mean the flashing process completed successfully three times?

Can you send the commands you ran? And possibly the output from your terminal? If you flashed it successfully even once, you should be good to go.

Edit: "flashed 3/4" times, I see what you mean. The ST Link adapter flashed. Check Altitude909's post.
Last edited by steviet on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:03 pm

is the board powered up and is the microJTAG plugged in the right way?

Still Sound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Still Sound » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Hey guys,

It seems my uBurst is working, for the most part.

I don't get output on the Left Channel, however.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

cnicht
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Have you traced the Left output signal From the codec?

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:52 am

Good news: Elements is flashed well! Thank you for your help!

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:48 am

I just finished building Clouds, it was the full kit from synthCube. I just powered it up, the only thing that happens is all 4 LED'S across the top light up and stay lit, nothing else is functional - pushing buttons, turning pots has no effect. Put an audio signal in, nothing comes out. Tried CV signals to the various inputs - nothing. At least there was no smoke or sparks. Any ideas where I should start??

FWIW, the synthCube website says that the processor is pre-flashed with the latest firmware at the time the kit is packaged; should I believe them?

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:25 pm

arthurdent wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:48 am
I just finished building Clouds, it was the full kit from synthCube. I just powered it up, the only thing that happens is all 4 LED'S across the top light up and stay lit, nothing else is functional - pushing buttons, turning pots has no effect. Put an audio signal in, nothing comes out. Tried CV signals to the various inputs - nothing. At least there was no smoke or sparks. Any ideas where I should start??

FWIW, the synthCube website says that the processor is pre-flashed with the latest firmware at the time the kit is packaged; should I believe them?
I just heard back from synthCube, they say that it sounds like the ARM is missing the code and/or bootloader. I don't have the resources (software, hardware, and skill set) to do this so I'm sending the completed module back to them, they will load and verify. HOPEFULLY that's all that is wrong with it...

snowtires
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snowtires » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:19 pm

I have a Veils build where the LEDs stay lit without input, but otherwise the unit functions normally. I replaced the LM358s, because it seems as though they have something to do with the lights, but that didn't do anything.

Is there a capacitor or resistor somewhere that pulls them all to ground when they aren't receiving input?

cnicht
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:09 am

The LEDs in Veils are independently illuminated and there's no common resistor or capacitor that controls them.

It's probable that there's a problem on VCA1 which is generating an offset voltage that is being cascaded to the other VCAs and causing all the LEDs to illuminate.

Check component values and soldering.

snowtires
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snowtires » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:42 am

cnicht wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:09 am
The LEDs in Veils are independently illuminated and there's no common resistor or capacitor that controls them.

It's probable that there's a problem on VCA1 which is generating an offset voltage that is being cascaded to the other VCAs and causing all the LEDs to illuminate.

Check component values and soldering.
I think component values are actually the problem! I just took one of the 1M resistors off and it's only coming back with 1K resistance. I'll swap them out and see what happens.

c4mr0n
Learning to Wiggle

Post by c4mr0n » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:55 pm

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot a Rings I’ve built from a synthcube kit. I’ve reflowed the STM and codec and finally got the LEDs to act right but I’m not getting anything to happen on the strum or v/oct. nothing comes out of odd or even. I’ve been through every single page of this thread and have seen people have similar issues but no one ever posts how they resolved it. Can someone please point me in the right direction? This is my third build but my first I’ve had to trouble shoot like this. Thanks in advance

emmaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:49 pm

c4mr0n wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:55 pm
I’ve been trying to troubleshoot a Rings I’ve built from a synthcube kit. I’ve reflowed the STM and codec and finally got the LEDs to act right but I’m not getting anything to happen on the strum or v/oct. nothing comes out of odd or even. I’ve been through every single page of this thread and have seen people have similar issues but no one ever posts how they resolved it. Can someone please point me in the right direction? This is my third build but my first I’ve had to trouble shoot like this. Thanks in advance
Looking at the schematics the only thing they have in common is NORMALIZATION_PROBE (sheets 1, 4) and CV_NORMALIZATION (sheets 4, 3). I'd start there looking for bad soldering, wrong parts and if those don't show something then ohm the circuit out checking for continuity (not values).

c4mr0n
Learning to Wiggle

Post by c4mr0n » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:07 pm

Should I be able to to get a measurement from the Strum circuit? When I measure with my DMM I get no signal at the strum pin on the ARM or where it goes into Q2...

c4mr0n
Learning to Wiggle

Post by c4mr0n » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:14 pm

emmaker wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:49 pm
c4mr0n wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:55 pm
Looking at the schematics the only thing they have in common is NORMALIZATION_PROBE (sheets 1, 4) and CV_NORMALIZATION (sheets 4, 3). I'd start there looking for bad soldering, wrong parts and if those don't show something then ohm the circuit out checking for continuity (not values).
Using the "beep" test?

emmaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:29 pm

c4mr0n wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:14 pm
Using the "beep" test?
Yes, sort of, but just using an ohm meter and looking at the resistance is better. The meters I'm familiar beep with a low resistance value which is not necessarily '0' ohms. If it doesn't beep then you have an open circuit path so check for bad soldering and broken traces but if it does beep I would still check the resistance. The resistance between any two circuit nodes shouldn't be more than 1 or 2 ohms and if it check the soldering.

Don't try to check parts like resistors, capacitors, diodes or transistors in circuit. You will be measuring everything they are hooked up to too and the measurements will be off.

c4mr0n
Learning to Wiggle

Post by c4mr0n » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:47 am

I believe the "preflashed" ARM I bought from SynthCube isn't programmed. I get 3 red LED flashes when I turn on the module before it goes to the normal colors. I emailed SynthCube and told them what was going on and they said that it seems like the ARM is not flashed. Seems like they do this a lot because I had read a few post on here saying so as well.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 pm

if its flashing, its programmed, it doesnt do that without code telling it to. Before everyone gets on this "its not flashed" bandwagon you should consider that to be the last possible fault. I wont speak for Synthcube and if they did send out unflashed parts, they will sort it out but pre flashing chips is a pass or fail process, you cant screw it up, the software will not let you do anything unless the setup is correct and it can talk to the chip.

Any mistake on the board can prevent the processor from starting, the 4 lit LEDs on clouds just means the 595 is in a random state cause its powering up but nothing is happening. the "nothing is happening" part can mean a dozen different things, no code being one of them.

NeolithicElectrophones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:37 pm

Hey all,
Ran into a strange issue on a pachinko (Marbles) build. Flashed fine from what I can tell, but the t and x buttons are flashing back and forth and the module is frozen with the x side illuminated. Reflowed everything, checked the DAC and all voltages on the board seem to check out. Couldn't find any info on what the t and x buttons flashing back and forth meant although I vaguely recall it being the ARM malfunctioning or something, so thought I'd see if anyone here knew where I should start checking or if there is something obvious I'm missing.
Many thanks!

Edit: Replaced ARM and DAC, same issue with flashing back and forth t and x buttons. Thought maybe the code was off so i tried re-flashing an antumbra Cara with the same files. Cara works fine so I'm somewhat lost on what to do next. Is there a special flashing procedure for pachinko?
Last edited by NeolithicElectrophones on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CamFry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamFry » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:45 am

DIY braids no power

Hi,

I bought a DIY braids and it worked fine at first. As i pressed the encoder the module reboots (I think). Pressing it a few times more the module shuts down. It's not starting up again... I've tried two nifty cases without succes.

Any ideas on how to fix?

THX!

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:44 am

Check pin 1 and pin 2 of the mcu for a short. Also consider if any of the traces under the encoder have had their soldermask eroded by the edges of the encoder, causing a short through the encoder case. Also check pin 7 of DISP1 hasnt damaged soldermask and trace to ENC_CLICK line

All the schematics and layout files are on the mi github. Start there - download free version of eagle.

Also check voltages, check for shorts etc etc

Are you happy reworking 0603 smt and fine pitch microprocessors? (If not and it’s not something obvious on the through hole stuff, then get someone else to do it for you.... :-) )

Jumper981
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jumper981 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:25 am

Hi to all!
I'm building two antumbra knit.
One is perfect, instead the other one works but it have a fluctuating/wobbly microtonal pitch problem.
I checked all IC's and cleaned flux but still fluctuating.
I also tried to swap control boards and it doesn't change anything, so pots aren't the problem.
Any suggestions?

funketek
Learning to Wiggle

Stages Sanity check

Post by funketek » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:41 pm

Not technically an unsuccessful build yet, but I am confusing myself on the orientation of the RECOM DC converter. My understanding is that Pin 2 is the one by the spool and it should be in the lower right corner on the PCB. I have attached a picture of how I am planning to solder it. However, the top view/bottom view of the pin-out has me second-guessing myself. Could I please get a sanity check that this is the right orientation?
IMG_2052.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

funketek
Learning to Wiggle

Post by funketek » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:51 pm

Found a picture of some Stages being built on your site, Forestcaver! Looks like my configuration is correct. Thanks for the reference material!

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:44 pm

funketek wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:51 pm
Found a picture of some Stages being built on your site, Forestcaver! Looks like my configuration is correct. Thanks for the reference material!

Glad someone found it useful! :-) (It was a way for me to keep a record for myself of what I’d done!)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”