DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by steviet » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:19 pm

https://stevetravale.com/build-diary-8-antumbra-knit/

I posted a blog with some cool pictures on just this topic! Hopefully it helps.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:27 pm

Aha! Thanks!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 pm

Hopefully it is more helpful than it is goofy! I learn best with pictures, not that schematics aren't pictures... Anyways :tu:
Soundcloud

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:34 pm

I have an Elements build that suddenly stopped working properly. Everything worked fine for a week or so, but now it something is up with how it's reading the pots.
The 'Strike' pot now acts as the 'Coarse' pot and the coarse pot does nothing,
The 'Mallet' pot now acts as the 'Geometry' pot and the Geometry pot does nothing,
The 'Fine' pot now acts as the 'Space' pot and the Space pot does nothing, etc.

I would say it's a 4051, but the pots going to more than one 4051 are affected, so that would mean possibly an issue with the STM, but I can't see any shorts or anything, and it's really weird that this happened so long after being finished and working well. I'm stumped. The only thing I can think is there is an issue in the firmware, as I switched to the 'Easter Egg' mode earlier, but have since switched back. I am going to reflash the chip and see if somehow I got an old firmware file that messed things up while switching back to the main function, but I am just doing that because I don't know what else it could be, I don't really think it's the firmware.

edit: it wasn't the firmware
Last edited by snowtires on Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:14 pm

steviet wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 pm
Hopefully it is more helpful than it is goofy! I learn best with pictures, not that schematics aren't pictures... Anyways :tu:
No, it was a huge help! And the thing programmed up immediately, no muss or fuss. Success!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:41 pm

snowtires wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:34 pm
I have an Elements build that suddenly stopped working properly. Everything worked fine for a week or so, but now it something is up with how it's reading the pots.
The 'Strike' pot now acts as the 'Coarse' pot and the coarse pot does nothing,
The 'Mallet' pot now acts as the 'Geometry' pot and the Geometry pot does nothing,
The 'Fine' pot now acts as the 'Space' pot and the Space pot does nothing, etc.

I would say it's a 4051, but the pots going to more than one 4051 are affected, so that would mean possibly an issue with the STM, but I can't see any shorts or anything, and it's really weird that this happened so long after being finished and working well. I'm stumped. The only thing I can think is there is an issue in the firmware, as I switched to the 'Easter Egg' mode earlier, but have since switched back. I am going to reflash the chip and see if somehow I got an old firmware file that messed things up while switching back to the main function, but I am just doing that because I don't know what else it could be, I don't really think it's the firmware.

edit: it wasn't the firmware
There must've been something up with the 4051s, I reflowed them and now it works properly.

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:19 pm

sduck wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:14 pm
No, it was a huge help! And the thing programmed up immediately, no muss or fuss. Success!
Beauty :sb: KNIT it up!!!
Soundcloud

moacir
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moacir » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:44 am

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:37 pm
Hey all,
Ran into a strange issue on a pachinko (Marbles) build. Flashed fine from what I can tell, but the t and x buttons are flashing back and forth and the module is frozen with the x side illuminated. Reflowed everything, checked the DAC and all voltages on the board seem to check out. Couldn't find any info on what the t and x buttons flashing back and forth meant although I vaguely recall it being the ARM malfunctioning or something, so thought I'd see if anyone here knew where I should start checking or if there is something obvious I'm missing.
Many thanks!

Edit: Replaced ARM and DAC, same issue with flashing back and forth t and x buttons. Thought maybe the code was off so i tried re-flashing an antumbra Cara with the same files. Cara works fine so I'm somewhat lost on what to do next. Is there a special flashing procedure for pachinko?
I can't tell if this is the same problem. I just put together a Marbles. The T side works perfectly, and the Y is giving appropriate S&Hy stuff and responds to my turning the pots when holding down the "N" button (X modes).

But the X side is misbehaving. I get a constant drone at about 1.5V from all three jacks under almost all circumstances. I've recompiled and reflashed Émilie's code (pulled from git today) w/ @forestcaver's settings.cc, and I've tried changing the implicit scale, but nothing changes.

Explicitly:

In 2V, under green mode, all three LEDs are steady w/ the 1.5V drone out of all three jacks.
In yellow mode, X1 and X3 LEDs are off but all three jacks still output 1.5V.
In red mode, X1 LED is off, but at least here X2 LED flickers and emits an S&H that does not respond to knobs. X1 and X3 emit 1.5V.

The same repeats in the other voltage modes, except sub "red" for "off" at ±5V.

I feel like it's not the ARM, because all three LEDs react to the N switch, and the X2 s&H in red mode seems to be expected behavior. I also don't think it's the DAC because Y seems to behave appropriately. But… But no melodies.

Any ideas?

Perhaps related, when I press the button for external CV, the voltages led goes out. I don't have a real marbles to compare to, but that LED behavior is not repeated in the software Marbles on Rack.app.

Thanks!

EDIT: I checked the values coming out of the DAC to rule out the op amp. They, too, emit nothing.
This is what's going into DAC_MOSI. It means nothing to me:

syndrum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by syndrum » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:34 am

Help uploading .hex file via Mutable Dev Environment.

I recently built a jak plugg version of micro peaks and I want to upload the hex file that is included on the jak plugg GitHub. I currently have it running with the firmware from the mutable environment but it will not let me enter the calibration mode.

My problem is I'm pretty new to this process and while I am able to follow the instruction with the environment and do a make file and upload it, I don't know how to upload just a hex file that is the boot loader and firmware together as it is given on the jak plugg GitHub. I am assuming I need to place the hex file in the build folder. But what do I do after that? What command line would I use to to upload it to the module? Also I don't now if it makes a difference but I'm doing this on a Mac.

Thanks for any help I can get in learning how this works.

fragletrollet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fragletrollet » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:10 pm

So I've got this prebuilt diy mBrane I got off the used marked a good while back. Unfortunately there's no output on gate 3.

I'm not totally sure what board I have. I found the JackPlugg page on github, and used it's schems and gerbers and compared to the orginial from Mutable. There's some discrepancies when it comes to component numbering and locations between the Jackplugg and the pcb I have, but I figure I could just follow back from the actual jack plug and backwards. I've traced the signal back from the jack, through the 1k resistor and the 74ahct1 back to the STM32, however the pins on the IC is so small its hard to know if I'm hitting the right pin. Going by the original schems, pin 18/PB0 on the STM should be gate output C. Since I wasn't sure I was hitting the right pins with my scope when probing the pins on the STM in that area (and got gate readouts from what I presume was ch1, 2 and 4), I put the mBrane in 4m mode, set every other channel than 3 on the mbrane to some other midi channel than the one I was hitting it with; hence only the gate of channel 3 should have been able to trace from any of the pins on that side of the STM. Still no signal at pin 18. All led's are working and indicate that only gate 3 should be active.

Is the controller busted? Can only one output be broken, or should that have affected much more? Everything else works as it should. In the process of reflowing the pins (first try with dragsoldering :help: ), I bridged some pins. After removing it to the best of my abilities (and tools) I lost all gate outputs :bang: but got them back with some very careful desoldering and reflowing. But gate 3/pin 18 is still quiet. I'm a little afraid to touch it now, don't want to destroy it more than it is. Maybe it just was a bad solderjoint to begin with, and now I've shorted pin 18 to 17 or 19 with the scope pin? Could that have killed it? Pin 19 is the gate 4 output, not sure what pin 17 is...

Time to get some flux and hot air rework station and a microscope, but that might take a while. Any tips in the meanwhile? That gate output is pretty vital to the functionality of the module, f.ex. master clock in most layouts.

OrganFixer
Common Wiggler

Post by OrganFixer » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:00 am

After my initial issues I seem to have gotten the hang of building these Mutable Modules. SMD is a nice change from through hole. I was very apprehensive going in but it isn't that hard once you get used to it.

I do have one issue I can't figure out. The fine tune on my braids does nothing. Everything else works perfectly. I read through some posts and I have a later version of the board purchased recently from modular addict. I think it is version 5.1. I used the current software from the github and compiled my hex file from there. I can see the pot changes the voltage on the input pin to the processor so the only thing I can think of is the software on the git hub being for the old version of the board maybe? I think it would be a much more common problem if that was the case. Anyway, I seem to have no problem without this working but it would be nice to be 100% functional. Does anyone else have this issue?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:20 pm

it sounds like you have a really old revision of the board. IIRC the way the fine tune worked was changed on braids at one pont

OrganFixer
Common Wiggler

Post by OrganFixer » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:44 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:20 pm
it sounds like you have a really old revision of the board. IIRC the way the fine tune worked was changed on braids at one point
No the boards are post the fine tune change. They matched the eagle files so the code should also match. At least that is my assumption. Maybe because I haven't calibrated. Anyway it seems I don't have any problems tuning from the Frequency knob so no big deal. I just thought I'd ask if anyone else had this issue. Now that I think about it, I'll take a look at processor outputs and see if there is something there, otherwise I just won't use that knob.

k73si
Learning to Wiggle

Post by k73si » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:21 am

Hi makers!
Maybe someone knows what's going on.
I recently successfully built the Yarns module, flashed it, and play well.
But yesterday, in the middle of playing it began to indicate snake animation: reboot does not change, flashing too (after flashing it show snake anyway).
:cloud:

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:32 am

k73si wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:21 am
Hi makers!
But yesterday, in the middle of playing it began to indicate snake animation: reboot does not change, flashing too (after flashing it show snake anyway).
encoder stuck closed?

k73si
Learning to Wiggle

Post by k73si » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:44 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:32 am
k73si wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:21 am
Hi makers!
encoder stuck closed?
No, encoder close/open normally

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:55 am

is it electrically like that that though? Check it with a meter. If its bumping you into the bootloader update screen, thats the likeliest cause

k73si
Learning to Wiggle

Post by k73si » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:55 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:55 am
is it electrically like that that though? Check it with a meter. If its bumping you into the bootloader update screen, thats the likeliest cause
the button is not pressed while the module is plugged in. checked with a meter, - the contact is normally open and closes to ground when pressed. The pin to which the button is connected is internally pulled up, but the voltage on this pin is 60mV. maybe i have burned the cpu =(

jackpf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jackpf » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:34 pm

Hey all,

I'm part way through a Rings build, and when (unsuccessfully) flashing I noticed the STM32 was on upside down.
There was no smoke/smell/overvoltage, so I flipped it back the right way, and the flash worked.

However, I've got some odd results now - I get a constant harsh digital noise from the outputs, neither of the LEDs seem to be functioning, and the board is only drawing 50mA (I guess cause of the non-functioning LEDs).

I've not soldered the attenuators yet, but don't think this would be the cause right? I've checked voltages into all chips and everything is okay. The normalization probe pin on the STM32 is outputting stuff as well, so it at least seems to be partially working.

Does anyone happen to have any suggestions on anything to try before I order another STM32?

Many thanks!

Fuzzy_Pause
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fuzzy_Pause » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:11 pm

Gonna hop on the Yarns question train!

I managed to flash the arm chip fine (i think) and all of the menus and the encoder work, but the cv outs and the leds don't seem to be working.
If i send it anything on channel one the 2nd led lights up and stays lit, regardless of any other midi info that i send, unless it's in 2M mode in which case the 2nd led lights up only when channel 1 is receiving a note. The other 3 leds don't turn on. All of the CV outputs remain static no matter what it's set to (the CVs output a voltage, the gates 0V) except for the bottom gate in one of the modes (i forget which) which outputs a sequence start/stop trigger.

The top row of pins on the ARM chip are slightly off center, but looking at it with a loupe I'm fairly certain that there aren't any shorts... Am I right in thinking that if the firmware flashed correctly and the menus are working that the ARM chip is soldered correctly and I should be looking around the jacks or at the DAC for errors? Or does this sound like the ARM chip should be reflowed?

I've gone over the rest of the board and can't find any backwards components or solder bridges, but maybe I'm missing something from staring at it too long. I can post pics later.

Also thanks to everyone here! wouldn't have made it this far without this thread :D

Remann
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Remann » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:22 am

Hi,
So I'm in the middle of building Antumbra KNIT (micro Plaits) and have a problem detecting MCU with STM32F051 Discovery Board.
I've checked for shorts across soldered components - seems fine, checked continuity between 4-pin SWD connector to the processor - all good (based on STM32CubMX schematics), checked voltage after LD2981 - spot on 3.3V, non of the components heat up after powering, I managed to connect discovery board via SWD to different MCU on Erica Synth's Delay and after using different 3V connector it was discovered successfully. I've tested a short of the 1st pin of SWD to GND when other pins are connected - no difference. I use STM32Cube programmer but also tested ST link utilities - no difference. Already reinstalled drivers and software. I tested all frequencies and modes for connections.
Now I run out of ideas.
Does anyone have idea what else should I check or have some tips how to make this 4-pin connector communicate with Disco Board?

Here are few pics of the boards and connections:
MST32F051 discovery board
KNIT board SWD side
KNIT board MCU side

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:10 am

Do you have both Knit boards connected together when you try this?

Remann
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Remann » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:13 am

cnicht wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:10 am
Do you have both Knit boards connected together when you try this?
No I haven't go forward with the build since I can't be sure this part is ok.
Do you think I need all the parts on to be able to programs it?

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:17 am

I’m not sure but I’ll have a look at my builds later

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:48 am

I would say all the components to power the required MCU rails are on the MCU board.

Post a better photo of the MCU board.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”