DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by forestcaver » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:23 am

snowtires wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:37 pm
I have built both Warps and Rings and neither had a normalization calibration procedure, just v/o calibration.
Both have a normalisation calibration, you just didnt do it!

Plaits also has a normalisation calibration but you dont need to do it explicitly (the normalisation probe is calibrated when you do the v/oct adc calibration)

theTwiddler
Common Wiggler

Post by theTwiddler » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi i got a Fdti Friend and another stlink but i dont know which cable or adapter i need to connect it to mmy peaks clone piques i bought it from a builder who fucked it up its not calibratet and i want to flash the chip. and maybe install dmc. calibration mode doesnt work cause he installed the wrong bootloader ( if i understand it right).

would be nice if anyone couled tell me which cable i need or hoow i can connect a ftdi friend to a mi modul.
i have these 10 pin on the back of the module (small version i guess)

ericneilj
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ericneilj » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:54 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:23 am
snowtires wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:37 pm
I have built both Warps and Rings and neither had a normalization calibration procedure, just v/o calibration.
Both have a normalisation calibration, you just didnt do it!

Plaits also has a normalisation calibration but you dont need to do it explicitly (the normalisation probe is calibrated when you do the v/oct adc calibration)
Thanks for the info forestcaver. The V/Oct calibration on my unit doesn’t seem to affect the normalization calibration on my unit. Will have to do a deeper dive, and maybe try adjusting the threshold in settings.cc

markOdey
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markOdey » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:41 pm

Hello guys, I have built the basic components of the ubraid and flashed the arm successfully few weeks ago however I am struggling to upload the program on the atMega328 chip for the oled display. I am using a arduino nano v3 as my booting hardware.

I have done the same on numerous occasion with atTinyXX chips however I maybe doing something very dumb but I am sort of stuck.

Here are my questions.

One important thing to tell is that U29 was initially inverted. I have plugged in the device for checking if anything would heat up and notice someting was wrong in the area of the atMega and U29. Is there a way to tell if the atMega is fried? Is it common to burn a ic that way? Since then the module is working fine and is not overheating.

Another important thing to note is that I tried powering the isp port with both 5v and 3.3v. I don't know what was the recommended voltage. I would be suprised but is it possible that the 5v may have fried the atMega?

I read somewhere that soldering the oled screen was necessary to be able to upload the program. I have done so but still no luck. Should I go ahead and solder every potentiometers and remaining parts at this point? Can someone tell me if the full assembly is required. I notice that my screen is not even lit while the module is plugged in.

In the arduino ide, I used the board genuino as mentioned on the github readme and used arduino as ISP for the programmer. It seems like the Atmega328 is not responding. As anybody ever tried to do it with a arduino? What were your configuration?

Last thing I am trying to consult the diptrace file however I am on linux does anybody knows a viewer I could use?

I built 3 weeks ago the clouds and after a little bit of obstination I managed to get it work so I still believe in the ubraids!

Please don't let my baby die!

Thanks you all for this resourceful forum.

jackpf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jackpf » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with a Rings build - I get some kind of crackly digital noise output, and none of the LEDs will turn on (don't seem to be getting any voltage output on the STM32 pins that are connected to the LEDs).

I'm a bit stuck as to what to even check...all voltages are correct, nothing is burning, normal current draw.
I did have the STM32 the wrong way round initially and powered it up, but quickly switched it round, and it flashed fine. Could it be partially broken because of that?

Sorry for the bad lighting in the image. Any ideas much appreciated!

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:25 pm

It's possible that the microcontroller is damaged but check all the pins are soldered correctly.

IC4 may have unsoldered pins and why are some of the potentiometers missing?

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:37 pm

jackpf wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:49 pm
Hi,

I'm having some trouble with a Rings build - I get some kind of crackly digital noise output, and none of the LEDs will turn on (don't seem to be getting any voltage output on the STM32 pins that are connected to the LEDs).

I'm a bit stuck as to what to even check...all voltages are correct, nothing is burning, normal current draw.
I did have the STM32 the wrong way round initially and powered it up, but quickly switched it round, and it flashed fine. Could it be partially broken because of that?

Sorry for the bad lighting in the image. Any ideas much appreciated!

I would say get some flux and reflow the STM and the DAC. The pins at the top of the right side of the STM (as it is in the photo) are close enough to be bridged. Also, it looks like the MCP6004 has some pins that aren't completely soldered, although I don't think that would affect the audio. Ditto with C12, the pin visible in the picture looks unsoldered, but that might be lighting.
Last edited by snowtires on Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:40 pm

Double post, I don't know how to delete this one

jackpf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jackpf » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:03 pm

cnicht wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:25 pm
It's possible that the microcontroller is damaged but check all the pins are soldered correctly.

IC4 may have unsoldered pins and why are some of the potentiometers missing?
Yeah, I have checked all pins with a multimeter and they all seem connected to their traces, but I'll go over them again.
Regarding the potentiometers, I ordered the wrong ones so haven't fitted them yet. I assume this wouldn't cause these problems though?
snowtires wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:37 pm
I would say get some flux and reflow the STM and the DAC. The pins at the top of the right side of the STM (as it is in the photo) are close enough to be bridged. Also, it looks like the MCP6004 has some pins that aren't completely soldered, although I don't think that would affect the audio. Ditto with C12, the pin visible in the picture looks unsoldered, but that might be lighting.
I have also checked each pin with the multimeter for bridges, and they all seem ok. But yeah, will go over them again.
Think I'll just reflow everything, and if that doesn't work guess I'll have to get hold of another STM32 :party:

Thanks for the replies!

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:40 am

I've had issues with bridging across fine-pitch IC pins on my last couple of builds.

In both cases, it turned out there was solder trapped behind the pins, so very hard to spot, and to remove with braid.

I ended up desoldering the chips with hot air, cleaning up the pads and replacing them.

Something to look out for.

Sikkboy
Common Wiggler

Post by Sikkboy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:18 am

New Streams build, I am having issues getting audio out for some reason, the offset mod works but the level input jack on both sides is not working. VCA out meter is not showing anything nor is the level meters. Any ideas? Are athose vca chips prone to failure?
---
4/9

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:28 am

I've had to reflow VCA ics a few times in some 2164 builds to work fwiw. Best to reflow everything with tons of flux in my experience before replacing the 2164. Also, reflow the mcu and dac with flux while you're at it. A few loose pins mean nothing is getting processed.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:23 pm

Ok I have another possibly dumbass question. I just finished a Monsoon, and it programmed properly, and in my initial power up tests everything was working as expected - the standard clouds stuff happened when I moved the pots and faders. So now I've installed the knobs and all that, and installed it in the case, and I think somewhere along the way I changed the mode of the thing to something different - while it's still working, and doing something, it's not what I'm expecting. It's not working like a clouds does, and I don't know the other modes enough to know what it's doing. And I can't figure out how to change it back into standard clouds mode - help!

Edit: I pushed and held the left button (I think) for maybe 5 seconds and managed to get it back into clouds mode. Still curious if the firmware for this has all the other modes, and how you access them properly - if anyone has any guidance on this, it would be appreciated!

Oh - with the mix completely dry, and the level knob all the way down, I'm still getting some bleed of the original signal - is this common to this design. or is something wrong?
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:22 am

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:15 pm

cnicht wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:22 am
This guide might help https://www.dropbox.com/s/dl/h70if0b59a ... -1.2.1.pdf
That is great! Thanks!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

okuhtfesa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by okuhtfesa » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my Module tester V.1. It worked perfectly since I connected a new module to the +/- 12 V power connector.
Now I don't get -12 V anymore. Do you think I need to change both diodes (D3 and D5) and that any eventual shortcut could have damage the LM 2990 T 12 ?

Thank you for your answer as I m a noob tester.
Moi vouloir être chat

subdrift
Learning to Wiggle

Post by subdrift » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:51 pm

Wondering if someone can help me diagnose the issue with my Elements build?

When I plug it in the play button and two LEDs flash rapidly about 5 times and then turn off. I am getting no sound from the module. When I place the probe on the -12V power rail and check the IC's I am receive + voltage numbers and when I probe the +12V rail and check the IC's I am getting negative voltage numbers. Is that right? I do receive 3.27V from the STM to the codec BUT only if I have the probe on the -12V power rail. I've triple checked for bridges, reflowed pretty much everything.

Ideas?

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:34 pm

Is the power cable backwards? Is the keyed header on elements installed backwards?

subdrift
Learning to Wiggle

Post by subdrift » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:29 pm

snowtires wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:34 pm
Is the power cable backwards? Is the keyed header on elements installed backwards?
No. Not backwards, unless they printed the silk on the board incorrectly. Is there anything on this board that could cause the signal to invert?

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:18 pm

Maybe if the diodes are facing the wrong way, but then you'd probably run into issues with things smoking.

CliffordMilk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CliffordMilk » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:36 am

Could someone please confirm to me the correct orientation of diodes D1 and D2 on the Braids V5 PCB?

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:01 am

CliffordMilk wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:36 am
Could someone please confirm to me the correct orientation of diodes D1 and D2 on the Braids V5 PCB?
Both have the stripe(cathode) facing down towards the J6 3.5mm jack silkscreen.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:45 am

snowtires wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:18 pm
Maybe if the diodes are facing the wrong way, but then you'd probably run into issues with things smoking.
Not if the power cable is correctly orientated.

Sikkboy
Common Wiggler

Post by Sikkboy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:50 am

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:28 am
I've had to reflow VCA ics a few times in some 2164 builds to work fwiw. Best to reflow everything with tons of flux in my experience before replacing the 2164. Also, reflow the mcu and dac with flux while you're at it. A few loose pins mean nothing is getting processed.
Tried reflowing. did not work. I did notice that I am getting signal at the test point located just beside r42 but not at the 2164's input (pin 15) or at any other test points surrounding the vca.
---
4/9

Hyoid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Hyoid » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Does anyone have a compiled .bin or.hex firmware set for Marbles? I stupidly updated by Mac and now I am having trouble starting the virtual machine. I have found the GitHub and google sheet with the lists of firmwares but they were both made pre-marbles and have not been updated.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”