DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Azzoz
Learning to Wiggle

Re: DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds

Post by Azzoz » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:04 am

Hello people !

so I attempted my first SMD Braids ,while waiting for the potentiometers to arrive, i install the hex files ( bootloader and firmware ) with an STlinkv2 utility. everything seems to work just fine with the screen - menus , except i'm not getting any sound ! any suggestion ?

is the potentiometers necessary for audio out ?

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Post by pjbulls » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:08 am

Nope, the audio goes directly from the MCU -> DAC -> TL072 (IC10) -> out. Check your soldering in that path.

Azzoz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Azzoz » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:09 am

thanks for the reply pjbulls , i checked and solder the path from the audio out all the way to the MCU and still no sound, however on the frequency spectrum i see a very weak pulse that match the trigger i'm connecting, any advice is really appreciated :)

Edit : solved , i re-solder few capacitors and resistor including R23 and C8 , thanks for your suggestion.

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happiness Forever » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:14 am

Hi there DIY folx.

I have a DIY Elements i bought from a wiggler a few years back that doesnt seem to be operating properly. I acquired the module long enough ago that I cannot remember who I purchased it from or even exactly when I got it.
Sadly, I have no DIY skills thusly I cld really use a repair tech or someone with enough nerve and gumption to look at it, hopefully get it working properly.
Im located in the Seattle area.
Thanks much.

cordoba899
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cordoba899 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:13 pm

Hey guys,
I am wondering if anyone ever managed to fix the mysterious "normalization probe" error? I built a Beehive Plaits and it seems to work ok, the only thing is that it seems to pick up random CV on the jacks, from what I read this points at the said normalization probe. This makes it not very useful since calibration is not possible, noise is being picked up, the pitch gets modulated quite heavily and it frequently jumps between modes. I tried reflowing the DAC and the jacks to no avail, anything else I could try? Thanks a bunch!

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:48 pm

cordoba899 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:13 pm
Hey guys,
I am wondering if anyone ever managed to fix the mysterious "normalization probe" error? I built a Beehive Plaits and it seems to work ok, the only thing is that it seems to pick up random CV on the jacks, from what I read this points at the said normalization probe. This makes it not very useful since calibration is not possible, noise is being picked up, the pitch gets modulated quite heavily and it frequently jumps between modes. I tried reflowing the DAC and the jacks to no avail, anything else I could try? Thanks a bunch!
Welcome to MW!

Did you run through the standard calibration procedure? This will also calibrate the "normalization probe" from what I've read/been told.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

cordoba899
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cordoba899 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:02 pm

steviet wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:48 pm
cordoba899 wrote:
Hey guys,
Welcome to MW!

Did you run through the standard calibration procedure? This will also calibrate the "normalization probe" from what I've read/been told.
Thanks! Feels like ive been part of this forum for quite a long time, not sure why I only made an account now :hihi: So the problem is, that the calibration procedure, if I understood correctly, requires all cables to be disconnected except for the V/Oct one. But my beehive thinks there are cables connected. At least I think this is the reason it fails for me - when I try to do it, after sending 3 V and pressing the button I see all LEDs flashing red. I forgot to mention that in the normal operation mode I always see two leds light up, one is pulsing and the other one is lit up constantly.

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:13 pm

I need to try reflashing the firmware on a MiniClouds for a friend's friend.
It was supposed to be working then somebody installed or tried to install Parasite. Then tried to remove it.

Currenlty, the module lights up and all leds are on, so at least we know it's not dead.
However, when trying to upload from Vagrant VM using my Olimex ARM-USB-OCD-H, I always get the same error...Is the STM32 bricked? (all Zeros) or simply down't respond?
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant/eurorack-modules$ make -f clouds/makefile upload
openocd -f interface/ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h.cfg -f target/stm32f4x.cfg -c "init" -c "halt" -c "sleep 200" \
-c "flash erase_address 0x08000000 32768" \
-c "reset halt" \
-c "flash write_image erase build/clouds/clouds_bootloader_combo.bin 0x08000000" \
-c "verify_image build/clouds/clouds_bootloader_combo.bin" \
-c "sleep 200" -c "reset run" -c "shutdown"
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2021-02-11-20:55)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "jtag". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
jtag_ntrst_delay: 100
none separate
cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq
Info : clock speed 2000 kHz
Error: JTAG scan chain interrogation failed: all zeroes
Error: Check JTAG interface, timings, target power, etc.
Error: Trying to use configured scan chain anyway...
Error: stm32f4x.cpu: IR capture error; saw 0x00 not 0x01
Warn : Bypassing JTAG setup events due to errors
Warn : Invalid ACK 0 in JTAG-DP transaction
Error: Target not examined yet

rafyc
Common Wiggler

Post by rafyc » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:23 pm

Just built a Rings and all is working as it should except "positions" function knob and CV doing nothing ...

here is the shematic area.

In this case of problem how to investigate ? What it could be ? resistor, capacitor ?
For instance if the cap C47 (to the CV) is not working does it should affect the knob function ?

Any advice ?

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Post by pjbulls » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:25 am

No, C47 is a power decoupling cap - if there'd be an issue there (a short) you'd see it elsewhere too. The weird thing is that the potentiometer, the attenuator, and the CV jack are all read individually, so if none of them work several things must have gone wrong...

At least the pots are very simple: they go directly into the CD4051 and then into the MCU. If the other pots are working & you didn't miss specifically these pins in your soldering, there really isn't much of an explanation that I can think of except a maybe problem within the STM or your board. Do the pots read 0V through +3.3V in their rotation, and does that signal reach the CD4051?

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:26 am

rafyc wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:23 pm
Just built a Rings and all is working as it should except "positions" function knob and CV doing nothing ...

In this case of problem how to investigate ? What it could be ? resistor, capacitor ?
For instance if the cap C47 (to the CV) is not working does it should affect the knob function ?

Any advice ?
It’s odd that both these do nothing.

Have you tried calibrating the module?

rafyc
Common Wiggler

Post by rafyc » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:27 am

cnicht wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:26 am
rafyc wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:23 pm

Any advice ?
It’s odd that both these do nothing.

Have you tried calibrating the module?
I juste done calibration but nothing change.
I've done the calibration procedure given in the manual.

rafyc
Common Wiggler

Post by rafyc » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:36 am

pjbulls wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:25 am
No, C47 is a power decoupling cap - if there'd be an issue there (a short) you'd see it elsewhere too. The weird thing is that the potentiometer, the attenuator, and the CV jack are all read individually, so if none of them work several things must have gone wrong...

At least the pots are very simple: they go directly into the CD4051 and then into the MCU. If the other pots are working & you didn't miss specifically these pins in your soldering, there really isn't much of an explanation that I can think of except a maybe problem within the STM or your board. Do the pots read 0V through +3.3V in their rotation, and does that signal reach the CD4051?

Yes i've 3.2v both on pot and trimmer.
How could i measure if it's going to CD4051 ? one pin of the multimeter on the "1-16" point (up and left hand side), and the other to the negatif pot ?
Last edited by rafyc on Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:39 am

Look at output of 4051 as you move the potentiometer

rafyc
Common Wiggler

Post by rafyc » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:40 am

cnicht wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:39 am
Look at output of 4051 as you move the potentiometer
one on the PIN 12 "position pot" on the IC and other on the negativ pot ?

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:53 am

Move the Position potentiometer and look at pin 3 of 4051.

This should be a ‘stepped’ signal depending on the positions of all the potentiometers but you should be able to see one step changing in amplitude as you move the Position pot.

rafyc
Common Wiggler

Post by rafyc » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:57 am

cnicht wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:53 am
Move the Position potentiometer and look at pin 3 of 4051.

This should be a ‘stepped’ signal depending on the positions of all the potentiometers but you should be able to see one step changing in amplitude as you move the Position pot.
Ok i see, not moving for this pot, but moving for the others.
So problem come from 4051 ?

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Post by pjbulls » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:04 pm

Yeah, check your soldering there. You probably missed one of the pins.

rafyc
Common Wiggler

Post by rafyc » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:59 pm

pjbulls wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:04 pm
Yeah, check your soldering there. You probably missed one of the pins.
same :( no idea seems to be good, tried to rework the stm32 also but no results

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:02 pm

@rafyc

When you apply a varying signal to J5 what signal do you see at the output of IC7B?

cordoba899
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cordoba899 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:34 pm

cordoba899 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:02 pm
steviet wrote:
cordoba899 wrote:
Hey guys,
Welcome to MW!

Thanks! Feels like ive been part of this forum for quite a long time, not sure why I only made an account now :hihi: So the problem is, that the calibration procedure, if I understood correctly, requires all cables to be disconnected except for the V/Oct one. But my beehive thinks there are cables connected. At least I think this is the reason it fails for me - when I try to do it, after sending 3 V and pressing the button I see all LEDs flashing red. I forgot to mention that in the normal operation mode I always see two leds light up, one is pulsing and the other one is lit up constantly.
Maybe a little follow up on this, even if I try to do the calibration, the beehive acts as if there are CVs connected to almost any input. If I connect external CV for example from an LFO it seems to behave normal again.. Is there some basic thing I could be missing?

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:36 pm

cordoba899 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:34 pm
cordoba899 wrote:
steviet wrote:
cordoba899 wrote:
Hey guys,
Welcome to MW!

Maybe a little follow up on this, even if I try to do the calibration, the beehive acts as if there are CVs connected to almost any input. If I connect external CV for example from an LFO it seems to behave normal again.. Is there some basic thing I could be missing?
Could you post some pictures of the board? Are all your 3.5mm jacks grounded properly?
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

cordoba899
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cordoba899 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:23 pm

steviet wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:36 pm
cordoba899 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:34 pm
cordoba899 wrote:
steviet wrote:
cordoba899 wrote:
Hey guys,
Welcome to MW!

Could you post some pictures of the board? Are all your 3.5mm jacks grounded properly?
Sure! Here you go. I tested the connection of the jacks - the outer ring of all jacks shorts to ground of the board - I assume thats how it should be?
Attachments
IMG_3338.JPG

rafyc
Common Wiggler

Post by rafyc » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:29 pm

cnicht wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:02 pm
@rafyc

When you apply a varying signal to J5 what signal do you see at the output of IC7B?
Ok now CV is working but not the pot !
quite strange

Azzoz
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Mbrane DIY

Post by Azzoz » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:29 pm

hey guys

so i'm building an Mbrane ( yarns 6hp DIY ) and i managed to connect it and flash it but still nothing showing on the screen, does anyone had this problem and fixed it ? maybe someone have some insight on where should i check or try to replace parts ?

thanks

Return to “Music Tech DIY”