[PROJECT] Music Thing USB Stick Euro Power Supply

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Post by ForAiur » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:35 am

We need this as a product :D

MMI Modular
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MMI Modular » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:15 am

ForAiur wrote:We need this as a product :D
As a matter of fact, I sell PCBs and pre-built units from my Reverb shop. PM if you are interested in picking one up :)

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:00 pm

I ended up building mine a month or so ago, and it's great. It's replaced my FCUK Power as my test power supply for DIY things, since it has a built in busboard and the external transformer is much smaller for this. I think I want to get another and build a small case around it. All in all, highly recommended.

ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Post by ForAiur » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:20 am

MMI Modular wrote:
ForAiur wrote:We need this as a product :D
As a matter of fact, I sell PCBs and pre-built units from my Reverb shop. PM if you are interested in picking one up :)
What are the specs? How much can it power and if I only use it with a cell phone battery pack can something go wrong?

Silver
Common Wiggler

Post by Silver » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:08 pm

I’m running this lunchbox with it off a cell phone battery charger and it works fine.

MMI Modular
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MMI Modular » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:52 pm

ForAiur wrote: What are the specs? How much can it power and if I only use it with a cell phone battery pack can something go wrong?
Officially, it is capable of powering 416mA per voltage rail.
There is nothing dangerous about running it off a phone charger, that's how it is meant to be powered. I use an Anker battery bank to power mine most of the time.

GaryInHuaHin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GaryInHuaHin » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:25 pm

daynehacks wrote:
hedefalk wrote:What do you guys think about this one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8W-2-5- ... 3f29&tpp=1
I ordered a couple of those from eBay to try out. Haven't gotten them yet though.
Hi gang. Has anybody followed up with this one? It's crazy cheap on AliExpress
:confused:

daynehacks
Common Wiggler

Post by daynehacks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:42 am

GaryInHuaHin wrote:
daynehacks wrote:
hedefalk wrote:What do you guys think about this one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8W-2-5- ... 3f29&tpp=1
I ordered a couple of those from eBay to try out. Haven't gotten them yet though.
Hi gang. Has anybody followed up with this one? It's crazy cheap on AliExpress
:confused:
You have to wire it up a bit different (it doesnt plug right it), but I use it on my bennch for module testing, I also use one in my benjolin. It works fine for me.

wtk
Common Wiggler

Post by wtk » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:21 am

MMI Modular wrote:
Jarno wrote:Add a low ohm resistor and a big hunking cap to the PCB as power reservoir and inrush dampener?
I'm looking in to using a NTC thermistor to limit the inrush. I can also goof around with larger caps, though I've honestly not seen too much a difference between values in terms of behavior before.
Another possibility is implementing soft-start, though that might cause some digital modules to freak out since they tend to like the "instant on" kind of power.
There's a lot of experimenting to be had so I encourage you guys to give it a shot if you have the time.
did you manage to get any further with testing the inrush limiting?
i tried a couple of modules in my small skiff with usbpower built as-is, but seems that when i try to power more than 2 modules of it, it won't start.

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Re: [PROJECT] Music Thing USB Stick Euro Power Supply

Post by Hththt » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi i want to build this cool little thing but i couldnt see anywhere the value for capacicator and resistors( do i need those without LEDs?) , wich one do i need?

Jaytee
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jaytee » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:28 pm

Hththt wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:37 pm
Hi i want to build this cool little thing but i couldnt see anywhere the value for capacicator and resistors( do i need those without LEDs?) , wich one do i need?
47uf for the cap, 10k for the resistors (or adjust for LED brightness, or leave out if you leave out the LEDs).

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:41 am

Thanks! Final,y found the BOM but the Led thing is good to know

efluon
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by efluon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:52 pm

wtk wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:21 am
i tried a couple of modules in my small skiff with usbpower built as-is, but seems that when i try to power more than 2 modules of it, it won't start.
I had some problems with mine as well, would not deliver more than about 200mA, then I found and read this thread and sure enough, changing the USB-cable helped. Did you try that?

Even though the Elektron cable looks splendid, a standard issue one delivers more current. (It's crazy though, as this lunchbox has only modules in them that use the +12V to then linearly regulate down to 5V. But I don't want to rework those modules).

skautkurt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skautkurt » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Anybody using one of MMIs USB-Powerthingys together with the Doboz Xiio or any other capacitive touch input module? Tried it yesterday, and the module was acting quite weird. My guess is that it doesn't play nicely with the capacitive sensing :hmm:
(love these tiny powersupplies!)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”