[PROJECT] Music Thing USB Stick Euro Power Supply

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ijed
Common Wiggler

Post by ijed » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:56 am

cereyanlimusiki wrote:Looks neat :)

Do you have any schematics ?
Only this if this makes any sense - I think the stripboard was 50 holes long that gave enough space for some screws on the ends but could've used some in the middle too.

Tom's design does have leds and resistors which are probably good to have as loads if there's no modules plugged in:

masterofstuff124
Wiggling with Experience

Post by masterofstuff124 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:33 am

just wanted to say I built one of these up awhile ago. I use it all the time. Is a great test power supply. very small. No need for wall power/ etc its super convenient.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:47 am

Don't plug this into your computer, plug it into a USB Battery Pack. There are plenty of high power USB batteries out there that can deliver 8000-100000mAh or more. Many are easily under $100 too. Just do a google search for "USB Battery Pack" and you will get plenty of hits.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Just found this part. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TRA ... Vfdw%3d%3d
It's silly expensive, but rated for 210mA.

Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tombola » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:10 am

Just got a Re:Load2 load so I've been trying to destroy my USB power prototype.

On the IR0512S without an external fuse I can happily draw 250ma on +12v, (pulling 710ma from the USB port).

At 350ma it works OK (i.e. the lights are on, but I'm making no no claims on the power stability, ripple etc), pulling about 1amp from USB, the converter is definitely HOT, ran for an afternoon without death.

Absolute max seems to be is about 460ma, and above that, when you try to pull more current, all the lights blink and it says goodbye. Seems to have some internal fuse, so recovers after it's cooled down.

I initially had a 1a Polyfuse on the USB line (short circuited for this test) - that certainly seems sensible in the light of this - maybe 750ma would be safer.

So: no actual magic smoke but definitely some warm plastic smells.

Conclusions: This was a raw test: power to load, so can't draw any conclusions about what makes a good/stable/safe PSU for your modules, but it explains why I was able to power more than 125ma worth of modules with this thing.

edwinm
Common Wiggler

Post by edwinm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Bought two IR0512S from Farnell (UK), both output +/- 30V! Luckily I tested the output before plugging in a module... Be careful out there...

c1t1zen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c1t1zen » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:10 pm

You NEED to test under load @edwinm. They will say +/-30V if you are testing them without a module attached. This is explained in the IR0512s datasheet down in the Notes section.
[1. Operation at no load will not damage unit but it may not meet
all specifications.]

Attach a module, I like Radio Music with their reverse protection and retest.

edwinm
Common Wiggler

Post by edwinm » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:02 am

Ah, interesting! Farnell are refunding me so perhaps I should refund their refund!

clarke68
Making DIY modulars look cool since 2011

Post by clarke68 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:04 am

I picked up a PCB from c1t1zen and then went and broke rule #2 from Tom's original post: I used it to record my new album:

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=95732423 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

Super happy with this little thing...huge thanks to Tom and Kylee for thinking out of the box and bringing it to life!
DIY Euro synth panels: Synthcube

clarkerobinson.com - music, video, synth panels, and more!

synchromesh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synchromesh » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:32 am

Great stuff Clarke, that's very inspiring! :nana:

How long can you run that rig for on that battery pack? I guess if you're in your car you can use the car battery.

And happy (belated) birthday! :party:

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:57 am

Are there other usb power options out there?

clarke68

Post by clarke68 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:25 pm

synchromesh wrote:Great stuff Clarke, that's very inspiring! :nana:

How long can you run that rig for on that battery pack? I guess if you're in your car you can use the car battery.

And happy (belated) birthday! :party:
Thanks!

The rig runs for a long time on USB power...around an hour using a cheap 2000 mAh charger like this, much longer on a fancier one.

Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tombola » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:44 pm

clarke68 wrote:I picked up a PCB from c1t1zen and then went and broke rule #2 from Tom's original post: I used it to record my new album
Hey, I did the same!

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:06 pm

USB3.0will source 900mA max.
My synth is powered from 5 volt, but some applications really need more than that and there I use a dc/dc converter similar to what you use here and it works just fine :yay:

clarke68

Post by clarke68 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Tombola wrote:Hey, I did the same!
Oh believe me...I know!

Can't tell you how inspiring your Superbooth Preview video was...it's what got me started on this whole "ultra-portable modular" thing, and eventually led me to Kylee's PCBs. Was very happy to find Bakusre and hear some of the same music as in the video! I've thought for a few years, and all the more now, that Music Thing has some of the most interesting module designs in all of Eurorack.

How long until Startup is released? :hyper:

Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tombola » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:13 pm

clarke68 wrote: Can't tell you how inspiring your Superbooth Preview video was...
Thank you, that's fantastic to hear.

Startup needs a bit more work, the mixer was a bit too eccentric, and the LFO part needs some interface improvements. I'm still working through the backlog...

salocinnomis
Common Wiggler

Post by salocinnomis » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:11 pm

ijed wrote:
cereyanlimusiki wrote:Looks neat :)

Do you have any schematics ?
Only this if this makes any sense - I think the stripboard was 50 holes long that gave enough space for some screws on the ends but could've used some in the middle too.

Hi, thank you for posting your stripboard version, I'm gonna give a go at building it :)
I'm thinking of keeping the Leds & resistors of Tom's design, and adding your filtering options.

I just can't figure the values of those two components after the 10Ω resistors (they are ferrites right?), can you help me with this?

Also, anyone have a suggestion of a reliable fuse to use?
Thanks!
///

hedefalk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hedefalk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:20 pm

What do you guys think about this one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8W-2-5- ... 3f29&tpp=1

daynehacks
Common Wiggler

Post by daynehacks » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:31 am

hedefalk wrote:What do you guys think about this one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8W-2-5- ... 3f29&tpp=1
I ordered a couple of those from eBay to try out. Haven't gotten them yet though.

hedefalk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hedefalk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:28 am

daynehacks wrote: I ordered a couple of those from eBay to try out. Haven't gotten them yet though.
Please let me know if you try them out!

Thinking about ordering too, but I'm wondering about the level of noise. I'm eurorack, thinking of getting the 15V one and use 7812/7912 regulator pair as per suggested in the aliexpress link I posted. But then I'm wondering how much power get's lost, those regulators aren't the most effective are they?

So what do you think is the best bet for a "lab/travel" setup for +-12V? Go directly with a +-12V version or a +-15V and regulators?

dennis010
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dennis010 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:08 am

i found another 5v DC to 12v DC converter, Meanwell DKM10E-12. its giving 416mA on -12v and +12v.

AntonWoldhek
Common Wiggler

Post by AntonWoldhek » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 am

Whats the mod to use a female usb port with this?

Silver
Common Wiggler

Post by Silver » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:59 pm

Hey everyone, I've seen a few references to C1t1zen's improved version of this. Does anyone know how it's improved? Thanks!

MMI Modular
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MMI Modular » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:29 pm

I have gone ahead and made a PCB layout of the USB power supply with the Meanwell DKM10E-12 mentioned above. I have not had the chance to do load testing, but the converter is rated to 416mA on both rails.

Things to note about my design:
  • * It still does not have any fuses or reverse polarity protection. Use shrouded headers and check your cables people! Or better yet just don't power this with your laptop.

* Power input is from a USB type B female socket.

* The final version has a large white line running down the side denoting -12V so it is easy to reassure yourself of proper polarity.

* I have added mounting holes so you can easily stick it in your lunchbox permanently.
Expect to see these PCBs on Modular Addict soon! I have talked with John and these, along with a couple modules I've been working on, will find their way on to the site once I finalize some things. I will start up a Github page as well where all my Eagle files will be posted.
All proceeds go towards my college tuition ;)

jwhtn
Common Wiggler

Post by jwhtn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:24 am

Wow, this thing actually works?

How’s the audio performance of the Meanwell brick? Ive been looking for a quiet, inexpensive way to power a Sunn Beta Bass preamp that I DIYed a while back, which needs +/- 15v, and was thinking of trying out the 15v Meanwell.
Fuzz pedal feedback coven.
Experiments and tunes and stuff: http://www.youtube.com/c/joelwhitneyjwhtn
http://jwhtn.bandcamp.com

Return to “Music Tech DIY”