Befaco Even VCO

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Re: Befaco Even VCO

Post by whyfarer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:13 pm

sduck wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:28 pm
I've posted these guys elsewhere, but should add them here also. These are one of the things that have happened during a long period of social distancing - what a cute couple!
IMG_5641.JPG

IMG_2810.JPG

The zip ties - I wasn't sure if I had the right size standoffs, and the 2 pcbs seemed to be staying together pretty well on their own, so just added the zip ties quickly as a reminder to stay together.

Oh wow - those look great. I wasn't initially that tempted by the banananuts, but you're making me reconsider! Thankfully (I guess?) I just spent my synth savings sourcing some parts for a few different projects and I'll have to wait before dropping the :75: for these

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:00 am

Just for the record and in case someone else runs into the same problems as I did (and I also e-mailed the picture to Manu from Befaco yesterday after he asked me to do so and check whether the tempco is green, which would indicate the old version):

This is the tempco in question, and it is indeed green -
01IMGP3599.jpg
I measured across this resistor again yesterday, and this time got 972 Ohms. Slightly higher than the 961 Ohms I measured previously, but that's probably due to different temperatures.

Edit after having received an e-mail answer from Manu/Befaco in which he confirms I really have the old version:
He suggests replacing the resistors in question (i.e. the "pink ones") with their original values.
I'll do that and perhaps put some heat shrink tube around the respective IC socket and what's underneath. Hopefully I can then calibrate the VCO with sufficient precision.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:35 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:00 am
He suggests replacing the resistors in question (i.e. the "pink ones") with their original values.
Can you elaborate on which are the resistors in question and what their original values should be (or where that info is)?

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pm

whyfarer wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:35 am
Can you elaborate on which are the resistors in question and what their original values should be (or where that info is)?
It's in the original schematic as available from Befaco themselves:
https://befaco.org/docs/Even_VCO/Even_V ... ematic.pdf

The original values are still in the schematic along with the "pink" versions. The resistors in the "Tracking Update" list (minus the 100R PTD) in the upper left of that pdf are the ones to change - six in total (R1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 108).
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:52 pm

Thanks!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”