[ORDER] Euclidean Circles - LEDs with rhythm

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Mr.Username
Learning to Wiggle

Re: [ORDER] Euclidean Circles - LEDs with rhythm

Post by Mr.Username » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:21 am

Thank you!

Mr.Username
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mr.Username » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:48 pm

OK: I don't know what I am doing.
This isn't working.
I seem to be making it worse.
Can some one perhaps AV500 please give me directions forward!
This is embarrassing I have built two working modules.
Thanks!

Dan
IMG_3541.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

synthetek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synthetek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:46 am

I have a non working V2 here that someone gave me to look at , it does not power on at all and IC6 (74HCT14) was visibly burnt so I replaced it and still not getting anything when i power it on. The test points for 5V and 3V3 are getting the correct voltage and IC7 (MCU) gets very hot. I was going to replace the MCU but I dont see a file available to flash it? and is there anything else that I should check? I assume it was reverse powered but we dont know the module was donated to an educational organization and that is how they received it.
Thanks

IMG_20200208_173533.jpg
IMG_20200210_194109.jpg
IMG_20200210_212424.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:01 am

Hi, since this is a regular retail unit I can repair it for you, please send me a PM or vp (at) vpme (dot) de

derjip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by derjip » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:18 am

Hi.

I just found out that the required rotary encoders and knobs are also available from mouser, so you don't need to order them extra:
https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/474-COM-15141
https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/474-COM-10597

Maybe you could update these in you mouser cart / BOM, simplifies the project a bit ;)

Thanks for the great module VPME and happy soldering to everyone!

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:26 am

:hihi:

lakai
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lakai » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:42 am

Hi, nice module and interesting build project!
Any chance to get a v2 kit? I only see v1.9 available on synthcube...

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:45 am

Hi, I can supply v2 PCB + panel sets, but I am out of stock atm. email me an I will add you to the list

Eurplorp013S
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eurplorp013S » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:27 am

hello... long time listener first time caller. Bump if necessary. EucledianCircles v1 with six switches expansion. What internally would cause a no power up situation?

The board looks fine no visual blackening, no power surges, Power supply is functional factory specs, tiptop(crucify a later time) looks good visually, no other module issues, the circles is 5th in chain from PS. Clocked by beatstep pro, RST evaton CLX, triggers to osc, and a gate, sometimes filter cv. I lost one function without indication prior to 2.5 set, the top selector to pastel green and yellow colors for sake of argument and lack of a user manual. I have 1 now.. ha ha :/

went to power up and make the noise last night, dead... :goo: :bang:

also Denver based so anyone around we can kick it and find a solution...

I traded locally my Thonk Turing Machine... Love this module and of course it dies because why not...

TIA!!

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:59 am

Hi there,

sorry it stopped working, hard to tell from the pic what is going wrong. Since it runs from 5V, can you make sure your case still supplies 5V properly? maybe try another case to make sure its not that?

Eurplorp013S
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eurplorp013S » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:38 am

Everything works as it is should no issues with power supply.

Thats the thing, the picture is the same as if youre looking at the board no signs of anything. My life is plagued with every "never seen that before" scenario with no explicable reason.

Is there some hidden reset function or firmware procedure? Would the beatstep pro's output clock signal have anything to do with it? I remember reading something about midi signals, buffering for inputs to models etc... but nothing about that signal killing a module and a clock signal being similar. BeatStep does regular midi and machine midi. Ill see what the clock signal is. Thats the only thing i can think of that would be soimething to think about...

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:11 am

can you check the voltages on the module? you should have about 5V between D49 and L49 and 3.3V at the test point labeled 3V3, next to C25

pjbulls
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pjbulls » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:29 pm

I had a question about the schematic: how are the WS2812B connected exactly? Pin 5 of IC2 to the top circle, starting from 12 o'clock and going clockwise, then the same for the middle and bottom circle? I'd like to roll my own using the mini version of these LEDs, and judging from previous posts and the last picture in the build guide that looks to be the correct order but I'd like to get it right the first time :mrgreen:

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:30 am

pjbulls wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:29 pm
I had a question about the schematic: how are the WS2812B connected exactly? Pin 5 of IC2 to the top circle, starting from 12 o'clock and going clockwise, then the same for the middle and bottom circle? I'd like to roll my own using the mini version of these LEDs, and judging from previous posts and the last picture in the build guide that looks to be the correct order but I'd like to get it right the first time :mrgreen:
see posts earlier in this thread

pjbulls
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by pjbulls » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:57 am

av500 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:18 pm
Hezza11 wrote:Is it ok to power up the module with only half the LEDs? They messed up my order and only got enough for the first ring and most of the second...

(I expect the answer is no but I want to see the ring rotate!)
it's fine. top to bottom circle, clockwise from 12 o'clock
Ah, thanks! :sb:

h
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:28 am

Hi,
i bought your v2 with presoldered IC7 some time ago and finally sat down to build it.
I am happy so far with how easy the SMD stuff turned out to be (my first SMD build).

I have a quick question: Whats about C1 on the back PCB?
It is not mentioned in the BOM, nor in the build instructions.
Is that supposed to be C10?
(Im sorry if this has been asked before, but i didnt find it here)

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:39 am

h wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:28 am
Hi,
i bought your v2 with presoldered IC7 some time ago and finally sat down to build it.
I am happy so far with how easy the SMD stuff turned out to be (my first SMD build).

stuff not mentioned in the BOM or build guide is to be ignored :) you can put 100nF there if you want to fill the blank spot :)

h
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:53 am

av500 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:39 am
h wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:28 am
Hi,

stuff not mentioned in the BOM or build guide is to be ignored :) you can put 100nF there if you want to fill the blank spot :)
thanks for the quick response <3
i already did that for being to hasty.
(also: stupid me. its obviously not C10. i just couldn't find a C10 spot because i looked for a 0805 footprint...)

j616s
Learning to Wiggle

Post by j616s » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:17 am

Are you taking orders for these atm? I emailed a few days ago but didn't get a reply. Thanks.

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:46 am

normally I reply :) adding everyone who emails me to the waitlist...

j616s
Learning to Wiggle

Post by j616s » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:58 am

I'll try again then :)

h
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:30 pm

I just finished building mine!
This was my first SMT build, but it was easier than I expected (i mentioned that before). But of course the IC with the tiniest legs was presoldered. Its still a bit scary to me that some SMT components aren't labeled (caps, some resistors). And it seems like i have some faulty LEDs, that ill have to exchange in the future. Sometimes they just start to light bright yellow after a while. But besides of that the module continues to work perfectly.
At this point i have to admit, that by mistake i ordered LEDs that were soldered onto a pcb already (https://www.ebay.de/itm/10-50-100PCS-DC ... 3547172391) and i removed them from there using my kitchen stove as a reflow oven. I probably damaged some of them.
I had one single issue: The button (which was delivered with the PCB if i remember correctly) did not fit the whole. i had to rasp away a little to fit it.

So this is a build report and (mainly) a thank you. Great module. Simple build. Just very nice. Thank you :yay: :yay: :yay:

I still have two little questions:
1: do you have a mouser item number appropriate switches for the six switches?
2: Does the signal for LED colours run through all LEDs? And in which order? So if there is a faulty one it might just stop there and the following LEDs would remain dark? Does it make sense to you, that all LEDs would turn to bright yellow after the module is turned on for a few minutes (This also affects the rotary encoders but not the LEDs of the first circle)?

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:13 am

h wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:30 pm
Its still a bit scary to me that some SMT components aren't labeled (caps, some resistors).

I had one single issue: The button (which was delivered with the PCB if i remember correctly) did not fit the whole. i had to rasp away a little to fit it.

I still have two little questions:
1: do you have a mouser item number appropriate switches for the six switches?
2: Does the signal for LED colours run through all LEDs? And in which order? So if there is a faulty one it might just stop there and the following LEDs would remain dark? Does it make sense to you, that all LEDs would turn to bright yellow after the module is turned on for a few minutes (This also affects the rotary encoders but not the LEDs of the first circle)?
1) what parts are not labeled?

2) yes the switch hole is a bit tight, I made it larger for the next batches

3) sorry, no idea for Mouser - they are SUB-miniature ON-ON switches, 5mm hole. (don't but cheap Chinese from eBay, they all suck)

4) the LEDs are all connected in a chain, so after a bad/faulty one anything can happen. the Encoders come before the LEDs thought so I'm puzzled why they would turn bright too...

h
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:36 am

av500 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:13 am
1) what parts are not labeled?

2) yes the switch hole is a bit tight, I made it larger for the next batches

3) sorry, no idea for Mouser - they are SUB-miniature ON-ON switches, 5mm hole. (don't buy cheap Chinese from eBay, they all suck)

4) the LEDs are all connected in a chain, so after a bad/faulty one anything can happen. the Encoders come before the LEDs thought so I'm puzzled why they would turn bright too...
1) that was not about your pcb! its not critizism, just whining. i was referring to the components that bear no label on themselves. once you got a capacitor out of its packaging there is not way to tell its value.

2) also not a real problem.

4) i figured that. entirely my fault also. ill just replace the LEDs

thanks. :tu:

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:38 am

h wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:36 am

1) that was not about your pcb! its not critizism, just whining. i was referring to the components that bear no label on themselves. once you got a capacitor out of its packaging there is not way to tell its value.
ah ok, I read it too fast :)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”