[Build thread] J. Haible's Son of Storm Tide Flanger

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

pix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pix » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:08 pm

nevermind, figured out the problem...

Donpepperoni
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Donpepperoni » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:08 pm

Zaibach wrote:Here are some pics of my finished build... The only things missing are the two big frequency knobs (still on backorder...) and two DPDT switches with round lever. I installed two with flat lever for now, but... you know... it doesn't look right.

And here's the rat's nest of wires behind the panel... I soldered the wires directly into the pcb, which is not the best idea. I was feeling lucky, and in the end I just wired two pots the wrong way round. The pcb is attached to the bottom of the case with spacers. I didn't bother with rack rails, I mean, just for four screws? Little pieces of wood in the corners and small wood screws do the trick. The panel is made from sheet aluminum, painted with white acrylic. Then I printed the panel graphics on a self-adhesive inkjet foil. The inkjet foil is not waterproof, but I think if you spill a cup of coffee over your modular, you have way bigger problems. The only thing left to do is the Tau Pipe Phaser pcb, which I still need to order...

Hi Zaibach,
I'm currently building a similar box with the SOST and the Tau Pipe... I hope you don't mind but I'm loosely basing it on your design?....

Anyway, I have a question on the Tau Pipe, you have a couple of controls there that I can't seem to find in the docs and I hope you can shed some light on it...

-The main "Frequency" knob, where do you connect that and whats the value etc?

-The "Normal / Slow" switch, again, where have you connected it?

Unfortunately I've already drilled my box including these functions but hopefully you can help me here?

Thanks in advance!

ConnorClasen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ConnorClasen » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi, does anyone have any advice coming from their experience reading the provided wiring diagrams, I get the general concept of the diagrams but am having some trouble trusting myself on correctly sussing out the orientation and order of the connections on the PCB. This question isn't as specific in nature, I guess I'm looking for any anecdotal or other types of experiences with taking care of the wiring on the SOST. :hmm: I am currently troubleshooting some backwards wiring on pots and iffy switching, will hopefully soon have it sorted haha but any advice helps.

GryphonP3
Ultra Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:16 pm

ConnorClasen wrote:Hi, does anyone have any advice coming from their experience reading the provided wiring diagrams, I get the general concept of the diagrams but am having some trouble trusting myself on correctly sussing out the orientation and order of the connections on the PCB. This question isn't as specific in nature, I guess I'm looking for any anecdotal or other types of experiences with taking care of the wiring on the SOST. :hmm: I am currently troubleshooting some backwards wiring on pots and iffy switching, will hopefully soon have it sorted haha but any advice helps.
Which diagram are you looking at?
My cat can eat a whole watermelon ...

GryphonP3
Ultra Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:38 pm

A year or so later I finally have the Modcan A panel done anf have finished witing it up all except the BOunce invert switches.. i dont see any place for these on the R*S PCB. Is this something that was left out from the original pcb? Haible's connection doc shows that there should be terminals for BPol switches to be wired. Can anyone who has built it with these switches share the witing info?
Last edited by GryphonP3 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GryphonP3
Ultra Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Double post

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:59 pm

I've got everything implemented on mine and there's no bounce invert. Maybe you're misreading? I've got a BBD 2 invert, a Direct Path invert, and a resonance invert switch, but that's all in the invert department. I can't find the terminals you speak of on the handwritten wiring doc i have - maybe you could post it?

Edit: Aha, finally found it - on page 1 of the schematics it mentions the BPo1, whatever that is - I'm not sure it's actually a bounce invert, but maybe it is. On the original pcbs it's right next to R18. And no I didn't wire it up, as I never saw it in Jurgen's stuff on electro-music.com back in the day. And it's not mentioned in any of the wiring docs I have. Now I'm curious what it does.

Further edit: Just looked at the R*S version, and it's not there. Although it'd be easy to implement - the 2 points are just at either end of R18. Do you have the original schematics?
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

GryphonP3
Ultra Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:53 am

sduck wrote:I've got everything implemented on mine and there's no bounce invert. Maybe you're misreading? I've got a BBD 2 invert, a Direct Path invert, and a resonance invert switch, but that's all in the invert department. I can't find the terminals you speak of on the handwritten wiring doc i have - maybe you could post it?

Edit: Aha, finally found it - on page 1 of the schematics it mentions the BPo1, whatever that is - I'm not sure it's actually a bounce invert, but maybe it is. On the original pcbs it's right next to R18. And no I didn't wire it up, as I never saw it in Jurgen's stuff on electro-music.com back in the day. And it's not mentioned in any of the wiring docs I have. Now I'm curious what it does.

Further edit: Just looked at the R*S version, and it's not there. Although it'd be easy to implement - the 2 points are just at either end of R18. Do you have the original schematics?
Here is the doc I am referencing, attached (hopefully - working from my movile here.. I have the BPol switch incorporated in my panel but alas, it looks like Ralf left it off the R*S boards. Shame! Maybe I will have to think if some other use for that space.

In other news, it is now alive and calibrated, and probably the coolest module I own! Holy shit! Outdoes my WADs for sure!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cheradenine
Modulate me harder

Post by Cheradenine » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:55 am

BPol is for Bounce Polarity : it change the direction of the Bounce effect.
It's mentionned somewhere in a thread on the Electro-Music forum.
Edit : here

I checked the R*S schematic and it's indeed missing in their version.

Gryphon, on the Modcan A panel it was supposed to be implemented with a push/pull pot for the bounce setting - so it could be easily omitted.
The pdf I gave you is specifically made for this panel.

GryphonP3
Ultra Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:32 am

Cheradenine wrote:BPol is for Bounce Polarity : it change the direction of the Bounce effect.
It's mentionned somewhere in a thread on the Electro-Music forum.
Edit : here

I checked the R*S schematic and it's indeed missing in their version.

Gryphon, on the Modcan A panel it was supposed to be implemented with a push/pull pot for the bounce setting - so it could be easily omitted.
The pdf I gave you is specifically made for this panel.

Got it :) so no bounce polarity for me with the R*S board I suppose. Thanks so much for the panel!! It is absulutely gorgeous.

Not a great recording, but here is the first play around with it. This thing is a fucking BEAST :nana:

Edit: ahhh it wont let me upload. Will post tomorrow.

Jop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jop » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:08 am

Not a great recording, but here is the first play around with it. This thing is a fucking BEAST :nana:
Fully agree :sb: , just finished mine as well:

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:16 am

I don't have that page in my original set of docs, but i guess it's a custom version anyway. Although according to the schematic, it'd be easy peasy to add - just put a single pole switch in that hole, attach the middle and a side lug to either end of R18. Closed it's inverted, open it's not.

flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

GryphonP3
Ultra Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:34 pm

sduck wrote:I don't have that page in my original set of docs, but i guess it's a custom version anyway. Although according to the schematic, it'd be easy peasy to add - just put a single pole switch in that hole, attach the middle and a side lug to either end of R18. Closed it's inverted, open it's not.

You rock Sduck! Thanks for taking the time to reference the old schematic and put it together :) Will incorporate this on a push/pull pot tonight.

GryphonP3
Ultra Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:18 am

I notice that when my delay time is quite long and my bounce is quite high, I get a pretty high pitched tuned squeeling, possibly self oscillation that changes with the Tune control and the bounce level. Weird because changing the feedback trimmers doesn't effect the level at all, just the clock trimmers, delay time and bounce control. I'm thinking it might just be some aliasing type effect that sone BBD style delays have. It sounds great at flangey ranges, just when the time is longer (which I love the sound of minus this oscillation) it starts squeeling, louder and clearer the higher CW the bounce pot or CV inputs are. Anyone else having this? Is it something I should try calibrating to sacrifice longer delay times in favor of clarity, or is it inherent to the circuit?

GryphonP3
Ultra Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:13 pm

GryphonP3 wrote:I notice that when my delay time is quite long and my bounce is quite high, I get a pretty high pitched tuned squeeling, possibly self oscillation that changes with the Tune control and the bounce level. Weird because changing the feedback trimmers doesn't effect the level at all, just the clock trimmers, delay time and bounce control. I'm thinking it might just be some aliasing type effect that sone BBD style delays have. It sounds great at flangey ranges, just when the time is longer (which I love the sound of minus this oscillation) it starts squeeling, louder and clearer the higher CW the bounce pot or CV inputs are. Anyone else having this? Is it something I should try calibrating to sacrifice longer delay times in favor of clarity, or is it inherent to the circuit?
Definitely inherent to the bbd chips. found a calibration sweet spot :) question for anyone else who has done this build - when you flip your BBD polarity swith in Long mode, does it kill your signal on the BBD end of the mix pot? Strange because it works fine in short mode, and all other functions of the long/short mode work - just not Long in BBD2 invert mode. I would think I had made an error in my wiring, but that switch is literally just wired to two spots on the PCB so theres no room for error really. Strange! Does anyone else have this problem?

lasesentaysiete
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lasesentaysiete » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:35 am

Does anyone have experience running this of +/-15v vs +/-12v? I am just looking to confirm if/where any changes need to be made for +/-12v.

Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Starspawn » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:14 am

Any calibration tips for this?
Mostly for clock, Its hard to gauge the ranges just from using manual since so much affects it, and With cv input it also shifted in a wrong direction for the manual alone .. need a middle ground :D
Also whats the point of the optional led, it would just show that the module has Power?

@Gryphon If you used the wrong two Points of the 3 available I suppose that might happen, ie if Your invert setting on the switch grounds the point instead of patching it to invert point. I lost bbd signal because I used all 3 Connections and so when in normal mode I had no BBD signal from the long/bbd2.

Zaibach
Common Wiggler

Post by Zaibach » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Starspawn wrote: Also whats the point of the optional led, it would just show that the module has Power?
That seems to be the case. I was brooding over that for some time, double- and triple-checked the wiring, but came to the conclusion that it can only have that purpose :hmm:

eternalslang
Learning to Wiggle

Re: [Build thread] J. Haible's Son of Storm Tide Flanger

Post by eternalslang » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:11 am

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is substitute transitors I can use in place of BC560C for Q2/Q3 and BF245A/545A for J1?
I could still find them separately on ebay but would rather like to order all the components from one point if possible.
http://randomsource.net/haible/sost/SOS ... matics.pdf

Also, does anyone know if these are still available somewhere? Would love to buy Jurgen's music at some point!!
http://www.oldcrows.net/~jhaible/dark_nov_web.html
http://www.oldcrows.net/~jhaible/hj_cd1.html

Thanks for your help!

Fabien

vandaal
Learning to Wiggle

Re: [Build thread] J. Haible's Son of Storm Tide Flanger

Post by vandaal » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:15 am

Completed my build also.
Needed some modifications but it looks and sounds great!
Some cases are also left if anyone is interested.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”