JH Living Vocoder [BUILD THREAD]

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler

Re: JH Living Vocoder [BUILD THREAD]

Post by Starspawn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:16 am

I have what I believe is a problem. The voiced detector is always on unless the unvoiced takes over, regardless of if there is a speech input or not. I see it seems like Tekmans works like that as well in the demo, but surely the circuit should work so that theres only detecting/vocoding going on when there is a speech input? Ive checked all passives and active components, and Ive used the suggested values in the v4 build guide. However I am not sure WHY the values were changed in the voiced/unvoiced section in the first place?

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:05 am

Starspawn wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:16 am
I have what I believe is a problem. The voiced detector is always on unless the unvoiced takes over, regardless of if there is a speech input or not. I see it seems like Tekmans works like that as well in the demo, but surely the circuit should work so that theres only detecting/vocoding going on when there is a speech input? Ive checked all passives and active components, and Ive used the suggested values in the v4 build guide. However I am not sure WHY the values were changed in the voiced/unvoiced section in the first place?
Hmm...mine works like that too. Why should it be otherwise? Sorry, I'm not following.. I have the v4 values too.

Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Starspawn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:42 am

Well, if the voiced is always on, theres always a signal to the excitation bus, even if there is no speech. Even if all the channel volume pots are at zero youll hear the excitation bus coming through. Is that the same for you as well? Id thought that the channel CV would shut it off by inverting or something when theres no cv, but no. So I thought that was the purpose of the voiced section, letting the excitation through only when there is speech (or you actively set it to ON or use the filterbank) Now I have to use rectified HP in unvoiced to make it sound like a regular vocoder?

Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Starspawn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:02 pm

I detract my complaint, theres 3 channels that filter control doesnt affect, so thats the problem.
And only the JFETs were the problem, had spares :)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”