JH Living Vocoder [BUILD THREAD]

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Oh sorry wrong thread
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

OrganFixer
Common Wiggler

Post by OrganFixer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:18 pm

Luka wrote: I just checked that point on mine and I don't see any osc. I have a slight positive dv offset but no oscillation. There has been note of the amp being unstable. What values have you implemented in this section?
Hey Luka, Thanks for checking for me. I used the values that Techman said worked for him.

R2101=10R
R2102=10R
R2103=1K
R2104=1K
RG0=OPEN
RG1=LINK
RG2=5R
RG3=22K
RLIM=6K04
(From Techman's wiring diagram)

I think I'll have some time tomorrow to poke around and hopefully figure this out. Now that I know it definitely shouldn't be there. To the ear this seemed to have no effect. The speech going in sounded fine coming out. But it looked terrible on the output on the oscilloscope.

OrganFixer
Common Wiggler

Post by OrganFixer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:50 pm

I am making extremely slow progress but progress nonetheless. I had two issues in my speech amp section.

1) I wired in a 1/4 inch jack along with the XLR input. when I plug in the 1/4 inch the switched jack now connects 1 and 3 together instead of 1 and 2. In otherwords the signal now goes to pin 2 and pin 3 is connected to ground. If I use XLR the signal goes to both pins 2 and 3. I'm assuming this is correct since it works better. I haven't tried with XLR yet but the 1/4 works well and all the speech amp controls operate correctly.

2) I was still getting an oscillation at the speech output connector and I noticed it was very responsive to the tone adjustment. In the old electro music thread sound recommended a 100pF cap in parallel with the 1 Meg feedback resistor(R2120) to op amp U2102A. This fixed mine and my speech amp section is now working perfectly.

I still have issues somewhere. It seems to be trying to vocode, when I play higher keys and talk into the mic i get short little busts of higher pitched sound. But it obviously is not right. On to the next section.

OrganFixer
Common Wiggler

Post by OrganFixer » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:07 pm

After months of procrastination it is finally working. Of course, it was going to be something stupid like incorrectly wired channel controls. I need to play with it more to figure out how to get it sounding good. Also, can anyone give me a hint about calibrating the channels and what I should measure to set those trimpots? I think those and the noise trimpot are the only things to be calibrated as eveything else has been brought out to the front panel. Thanks everyone for your tips and hints along the way.

Techman
Common Wiggler

Post by Techman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:40 pm

OrganFixer wrote:Also, can anyone give me a hint about calibrating the channels and what I should measure to set those trimpots?.
I set the VCA Offset adjust trims to give <1mV dc on the output pin7 of Uxx03B. Where xx is the channel number.

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Glad a few brave ones have gone before me. Intending to complete one for my friend this winter. Mostly stuffed a year back and I need to re-read all the threads again to get reacquainted.

OrganFixer
Common Wiggler

Post by OrganFixer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Techman wrote:I set the VCA Offset adjust trims to give <1mV dc on the output pin7 of Uxx03B. Where xx is the channel number.
Thanks Techman. Without your help I could have never gotten this far. Your wiring diagram was an unbelievable help.
Reese P. Dubin wrote:Glad a few brave ones have gone before me. Intending to complete one for my friend this winter. Mostly stuffed a year back and I need to re-read all the threads again to get reacquainted.
My only advice is to use sound's substitution values from the EM thread. Techman gave a great wiring diagram in this thread. And ask questions if anything is unclear. I made a few dumb mistakes that it took a long time to realize.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:26 am

OrganFixer wrote:My only advice is to use sound's substitution values from the EM thread. Techman gave a great wiring diagram in this thread. And ask questions if anything is unclear. I made a few dumb mistakes that it took a long time to realize.
Nice to hear it's working! I'll hopefully start this journey too soon and need to check again the EM thread. Anything else? There's a FB build group too (quiet silent though..).

Techman
Common Wiggler

Post by Techman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:09 am

OrganFixer wrote: Thanks Techman. Without your help I could have never gotten this far. Your wiring diagram was an unbelievable help.
Glad it was some help :banana:
I've updated the diagram to include a note about the 100p in parallel to R2120 which I had forgotten to add to the diagram but had included in my build. I did rely quite heavily on most of the mods by Sounds in The EM thread, so credit where it's due
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:32 am

I also did it by ear by listening for bleed-through on each channel and trimming to minimise it.

I seem to go super slow on big projects. Also the guy making my final panels is doing it in between jobs so it takes a while. I'm not really in a rush tbh

OrganFixer
Common Wiggler

Post by OrganFixer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:51 pm

Luka, how did I forget to mention you. Your answers and tips definitely helped get mine working. And your build is inspiring.

bsilverberg
Common Wiggler

Post by bsilverberg » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:59 am

Not sure if others ran into this problem, but on my build the Noise circuit seemed to always be engaged to some degree and not truly off. It was most noticeable in Filterbank mode. I fixed this by changing J2603 from a 245A to a 245C. I also changed R2659 5K Noise Level trim to 1Meg, but not certain that is absolutely necessary.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:35 pm

My build so far:

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:16 pm

Congratulations on your build! :party:

bsilverberg
Common Wiggler

Post by bsilverberg » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:51 am

That sounds great! Any chance you can post the knob/slider/switch positions used in the video? It would be great as a reference to know if mine and others are working and sounding right.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:08 am

bsilverberg wrote:That sounds great! Any chance you can post the knob/slider/switch positions used in the video? It would be great as a reference to know if mine and others are working and sounding right.
Sure! I'll do better demos once this thing is finished. It does sound amazing! Only thing so far is the mic preamp, which might need some tweaking. I need to look more closely what resistor substitutions was used.

SynthMaffio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SynthMaffio » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:34 am

Hi all, I'm looking for the EMS vocoder 5000 schematics. Do any of you own one or know a link where I can find it? Thanks.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:16 pm

megaohm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by megaohm » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:47 pm

True beauty!
Very inspiring.
:party:
www.MegaOhmAudio.com

Will work for pistachios

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:48 pm

So clean it looks like a render at first glance! Very nice!

synthdude
Common Wiggler

Post by synthdude » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi folks. I have one JH vocoder pcb for sale. This includes all the 1% caps. All brand new. Shoot me a msg if you are interested.

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Janne's handywork and photoshoot :yay: :yay: :yay: :tu: :tu: :tu:

tonysnail
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tonysnail » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:00 am

synthdude wrote:Hi folks. I have one JH vocoder pcb for sale. This includes all the 1% caps. All brand new. Shoot me a msg if you are interested.
Hey! Not sure if the PM fired through but I'd love to buy this from you!

synthdude
Common Wiggler

Post by synthdude » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:14 am

Yep got it and I replied to your msg.

tonysnail wrote:
synthdude wrote:Hi folks. I have one JH vocoder pcb for sale. This includes all the 1% caps. All brand new. Shoot me a msg if you are interested.
Hey! Not sure if the PM fired through but I'd love to buy this from you!

synthdude
Common Wiggler

Post by synthdude » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:05 am

SOLD!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”