NonLinear Circuits - 329 Phase Flange

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:17 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Post by Chickenbone » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:16 am

I just bought the 329 from MA and I was hoping someone else had done all the hard work of compiling the Mouser cart. I swear it takes me days of searching mouser to find the right switch... :bang:
If you ever come to a fork in the road, pick it up.
Modular Grid
SoundCloud

User avatar
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1743
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:41 pm

I'd love to hear this against th Schippmann phaser.

As it stands his new filter does have a phaser native, if it lags massively behind the awesome sounds here, I'll finally learn SMD...
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

FS: SSF Entity

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:17 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Post by Chickenbone » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:37 am

Multi Grooves wrote:I'd love to hear this against th Schippmann phaser.

As it stands his new filter does have a phaser native, if it lags massively behind the awesome sounds here, I'll finally learn SMD...
Dude you should definitely go for it. I just finished it a few days ago. It was my first go and it is in a lot of ways so much more convenient and easy than regular through-hole soldering. As long as you have steady hands.

I love what this thing does to video signals!
If you ever come to a fork in the road, pick it up.
Modular Grid
SoundCloud

Footkerchief
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:43 am
Location: you can't tell me I'm not in space

Post by Footkerchief » Thu May 10, 2018 11:08 am

I've had this thing for a year and I still have no idea how to get musical results from the PHASE and AUX outputs.

User avatar
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1743
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Post by Multi Grooves » Thu May 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Chickenbone wrote:
Multi Grooves wrote:I'd love to hear this against th Schippmann phaser.

As it stands his new filter does have a phaser native, if it lags massively behind the awesome sounds here, I'll finally learn SMD...
Dude you should definitely go for it. I just finished it a few days ago. It was my first go and it is in a lot of ways so much more convenient and easy than regular through-hole soldering. As long as you have steady hands.

I love what this thing does to video signals!
I need to see where the vcf01's phaser is at first; I've not been using any of my gear recently. In the mean time, if anyone fancies uploading anh samples of this in action? :wink:
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

FS: SSF Entity

User avatar
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4059
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: WA
Contact:

Post by andrewF » Thu May 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Footkerchief wrote:I've had this thing for a year and I still have no idea how to get musical results from the PHASE and AUX outputs.
AUX is very similar to MAIN, Phase can be processed elsewhere and the fedback into one of the inputs (try CV).
Not sure of what 'musical' means to you tho? Merzbow or Mozart?

trip
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by trip » Thu May 10, 2018 7:05 pm


User avatar
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1743
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Post by Multi Grooves » Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 pm

:hail: :sb: :tu:
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

FS: SSF Entity

User avatar
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1743
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Post by Multi Grooves » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:17 am

Multi Grooves wrote:I'd love to hear this against th Schippmann phaser.

As it stands his new filter does have a phaser native, if it lags massively behind the awesome sounds here, I'll finally learn SMD...
I'm also considering the AJH which, is also a twelve stager... Anybody tried any of these alongside each other?

How is the noise on this 329?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

FS: SSF Entity

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1274
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Yer mammy's dusty vibraphone

Post by 22tape » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:24 am

Looking at the AJH phaser as well. Does anyone miss not having a mix/depth option on the 329, or are you mixing the dry signal externally?

User avatar
aragorn23
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:02 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Contact:

Post by aragorn23 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:59 am

Does anyone have a panel layout handy for the 329?

User avatar
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4059
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: WA
Contact:

Post by andrewF » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:04 pm

aragorn23 wrote:Does anyone have a panel layout handy for the 329?
YES!

User avatar
aragorn23
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:02 am
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Contact:

Post by aragorn23 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:45 pm

Awesome, thanks :-)

User avatar
woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 am
Location: UK

Post by woodster » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:56 am

This thing is intensely good, built it last night and have just lost hours having lots of fun with it
Image

Image

jorg
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:38 am
Location: East Coast USA

Post by jorg » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:36 am

Sounds great!

I think "Flanger" is quite a misnomer though; it looks like a "ladder" version of a phaser.

It is pretty fun to cascade the phase-delay core of a phaser with the time-delay core of a flanger, then mix with dry. You get many notches like a flanger, but they are unevenly spaced like a phaser. That's what I was hoping this thing might be.

User avatar
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4059
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: WA
Contact:

Post by andrewF » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:56 am

The input marked 'CV' doubles as the Flange input, try putting an audio signal into there.

jorg
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:38 am
Location: East Coast USA

Post by jorg » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:08 am

There's no time delay in it; only a phase delay line, ergo it doesn't do true flanging. However, as a 10-stage phaser based on a BJT ladder, it's interesting.

The AJH does sound a lot more like a phaser to me; this one is more about combining strong distortion and mild phasing (in the demos here).

jorg
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:38 am
Location: East Coast USA

Post by jorg » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:11 am

OK I just listened to Trip's 3rd demo, and that sounds like phasing. :eek: :hyper:

User avatar
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4059
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: WA
Contact:

Post by andrewF » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:38 pm

jorg wrote:OK I just listened to Trip's 3rd demo, and that sounds like phasing. :eek: :hyper:
Modular Addict's vid is worth checking out -
[video][/video]

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1228
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post by electricanada » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:45 am

andrewF wrote:
jorg wrote:OK I just listened to Trip's 3rd demo, and that sounds like phasing. :eek: :hyper:
Modular Addict's vid is worth checking out -
[video][/video]

It sounds ridiculously good. I have purchased the kit, but it is kind of scary and clearly not for beginners to smt. I am putting it in my to-do box and will work my way up to it.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

User avatar
corpusjonsey
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:46 am
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Post by corpusjonsey » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:57 am

Don't be scared! Surface mount IS easier. It was made by humans, you are a human, so you can make it too!

User avatar
jonny_w
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:04 pm
Location: Canada

Post by jonny_w » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:03 am

maaaks wrote:The 329 Phase/Flange is the tits.

I made this the other day in which it features:

https://soundcloud.com/user-379356085/twlpg
This is fucking GREAT! What sort of modules did you patch up for this?

synthpriest
Common Wiggler
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:02 am
Location: inside the machine

Post by synthpriest » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:38 am

Sounds massive! :miley:

Mirko
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:55 am
Location: Bremen, Germany

Post by Mirko » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:20 pm

Hi,

I want to build this module and I just got the PCB, frontplate and most of the parts. However, I have a few questions maybe someone can answer me:

1. I bought 15 J112s and using the simple circuit in the assembly manual the smallest voltage I get for a pair is about 30mV (measured with a Fluke 287 MM). Is this close enough or should I buy more and hope for a closer match?

2. During the matching process I noticed that the measured voltage changes vastly when I touch one of the FETs, so I assume that temperature plays a big role in this. Is it wise to glue the two together in order to help them maintain the same temperature? At least, this is the advice for the VCO kits made by PMFoundations.

3. For the 22nF caps it says "get good ones!", but I don't really know how to tell good capacitors from bad ones. I've ordered these, thinking that low tolerance may equal quality (for capacitors, anyway :) )

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/mur ... cycode=EUR

Will these be good enough?

Mirko

User avatar
emmaker
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 800
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:07 pm
Location: PDX

Post by emmaker » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:18 am

Mirko wrote:Hi,
1. I bought 15 J112s and using the simple circuit in the assembly manual the smallest voltage I get for a pair is about 30mV (measured with a Fluke 287 MM). Is this close enough or should I buy more and hope for a closer match?

2. During the matching process I noticed that the measured voltage changes vastly when I touch one of the FETs, so I assume that temperature plays a big role in this. Is it wise to glue the two together in order to help them maintain the same temperature? At least, this is the advice for the VCO kits made by PMFoundations.
Mirko
If you didn't match the resistor pairs in the JFET matching circuit that may help the differential voltage. They don't have to be the exact value in the schematic they just need to match each other.

Since this is an amp and not an expo circuit it's not as critical to have them at the same temp. It wouldn't hurt putting them together but how much better it will be I can't answer.

Good luck.
Jay S.

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”