[Stocked] Noise! pcb / kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:47 pm

I'm still unsure what the expander should do.

idea 1: 12 gate inputs to activate every division . inputs can be squarewaves/ gates but also envelopes or vco's with other waveforms.

idea 2: an analog switch module which can switch between divisions
(with bypass switches and lfo's to clock the switches.)

idea 1 is tested. fun
downside is that you need a lot of modulation (or is it an upside? )

idea 2 is tested, but the pcb wont fit more than 6 LFO's, so the divisions must be switched by groups of 2. to make the lfo's voltage controlled would be cool, but this expands the size quite some bit. it is also less flexible because of the assigned groups.

I'm leaning towards idea 1 now.

acgenerator
Ultra Wiggler

Post by acgenerator » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:19 pm

FetidEye wrote:I'm still unsure what the expander should do.

idea 1: 12 gate inputs to activate every division . inputs can be squarewaves/ gates but also envelopes or vco's with other waveforms.

idea 2: an analog switch module which can switch between divisions
(with bypass switches and lfo's to clock the switches.)

idea 1 is tested. fun
downside is that you need a lot of modulation (or is it an upside? )

idea 2 is tested, but the pcb wont fit more than 6 LFO's, so the divisions must be switched by groups of 2. to make the lfo's voltage controlled would be cool, but this expands the size quite some bit. it is also less flexible because of the assigned groups.

I'm leaning towards idea 1 now.
Idea 1 starts to get a bit into the overlap of Xaoc Drezno's functionality

Idea 1a:
Idea 1 as above but:

ADD: a jumper for normalling the jacks to the internal gates when unused.

You can eliminate the need for individual switches by doing this:
- with Jumper set for normalled, an unpatched cable would effectively mute signals from the mix. If properly input protected, you could self-patch to eliminate two at a time.
- with jumper set for not normalled, you have Idea 1 as described above.

Idea 2a
A simple patch panel for the 12 division out and inputs to the patchbay. Every thing is always on ... just self patch the inputs you want to use. You could still input in external sources (a la Idea 1) or send the division to a switch / buffered mult before returning.

Idea 2b
6 SP12T switches in two groups which you can use to toggle between divisions. (not inputs or outputs) It's not voltage controlled but it's simple meaningful expansion. You still have the CV on the main module.

I personally would like Idea 2a best as it's likely most flexible / least design effort.

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:19 am

fiN Studios has made a timelapse build!
[video][/video]

STOJ
Common Wiggler

Post by STOJ » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:37 pm

I finally finished the panel. Done with Lazertran decal. I added also starve mod.

rosch
roadkill

Post by rosch » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:15 pm

Cool! Of course I'll get a kit once you're back on Etsy! Cheers

goganao
Learning to Wiggle

Post by goganao » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 am

Abigfatcat wrote:Awesome board! The timing patch bay is brilliant. :nana:

Quick demo right after I built it. Sorry about the vert video.
With the viewcount especially is dang!

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Re: [Stocked] Noise! pcb / kit

Post by tdallas » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:41 pm

Maybe I am a bit late to this party but I've just ordered a V8 DIY kit for this module. Now reading this thread I wonder if there are still plans for releasing the above mentioned expander in any form? Or is it already out there in the wild and I was too blind to find it? :hmm:

And another question [already asked directly by mail, but since we are here :-) ] -> due to the build guide the CV inputs seems to be limited to 9.1 volts? So is it save to feed signals max. +/- 10 volts here? Or should one only use positive voltages on the CVs?

Thanks a lot in advance! :tu:

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:28 pm

most people make their own expander panel, so I don't have current plans to do an expander myself.

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi. I'm building the Noise v8 at the moment and I have a short question regarding the capacitors C1, C2, C3, C4. Does the picture of the assembled module (-> here) match with the actual build document? Maybe my eyes are bad, but in the picture it seems that:

#) the two small yellow upstanding 100nF elements are at C1/C4 instead of C1/C2
#) the "bigger yellow blob" with 330nF is at C3 (instead of C4).
#) unfortunately I can't see C2 in the picture, but is there the "smaller orange disk" with 470pF (instead of C3)?

Or are these just other housing shapes for those elements?

EDIT: unfortunately I can't build the complete kit because one of the 4.7uF/100V capacitors is missing in the package (the stripe only contains three of them instead of four) :confused: since this seems to be one of the OUT capacitors C8, C9, C10 and C13 -> might it be possible to use only three of the outputs for now until I have organized a suitable replacement? The build is finished without C13 and everything seems to work fine. I just can't use OUT 4 at the moment.

Please allow me one last question: due to the manual and first tests the knobs are left orientated (the more CCW, the higher the frequency). But how does the attenuating work? Should there be a "complete ignore external CV" position for the knobs? It seems that I get the strongest CV response full CW but I can modulate those inputs a bit even when the knob is fully CCW. Is this OK?

Thanks a lot! A great module by the way as far as I can tell that at the moment ;)

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:20 am

if you miss something in the kit, I'll send it to you. (sorry for that, I'm only human)
The picture is an early build, please use the buildguide + BOM to check the part locations!
The parts used here are not the same color as in the kit
(I'll update the picture, if that is causing confusion) I can also enlarge the buildguide pcb picture, it maybe is of too low resolution.

The pots act as attenuators and frequency control, so there is no perfect "complete ignore external CV" setting.
CCW = high freq.

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:57 am

FetidEye wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:20 am
if you miss something in the kit, I'll send it to you. (sorry for that, I'm only human)
The picture is an early build, please use the buildguide + BOM to check the part locations!
The parts used here are not the same color as in the kit
(I'll update the picture, if that is causing confusion) I can also enlarge the buildguide pcb picture, it maybe is of too low resolution.

The pots act as attenuators and frequency control, so there is no perfect "complete ignore external CV" setting.
CCW = high freq.
Thanks a lot for the response! I have finished the build following the buildguide/BOM/schematic without a problem. Was just a little bit confused about the picture because as a new DIY wiggler I used it as a reference for visual checks (so the source of confusion was more on my side).
No problem at all regarding the capacitor :-) since I have to buy other components as well I will source it directly here in Germany. In the meantime there is enough to explore with the already running three outputs :sb:

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:03 am

cool! have a good time making noise!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”