DIY 4ms SMR

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

AlanP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: DIY 4ms SMR

Post by AlanP » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:04 am

Got mine working! Just... solder all the SMD LEDs, before the jacks. Even if you leave the envelope jacks out while testing, to give you room.

It's working, but I'm not proud of my SMD soldering ;)

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Post by pjbulls » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:23 pm

I got around to soldering one of these as well. When I power up the module all SMD LEDs are fully lit (white), and nothing else happens. According to my ST-LINK the memory matches my hex (reflashed it a few times already), and all MCU pins connect to what they're supposed to without shorts. Any idea what could be the cause?

I installed both the boot & reset buttons while leaving off the USB, not sure if that matters?

e: got it to work using the firmware I found on Steve's blog!
steviet wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:13 am
Also, shameless self plug, wrote a little blog on my build experience:

https://www.stevetravale.com/4ms-smr-build-diary-9/
e2: seems like the bootloaders (and Makefiles to create combined binaries) are separate repositories. You first have to compile SMR, and then smr-bootloader via make combo.

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Post by pjbulls » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:41 am

In case anybody is as thrifty as I am, I got these light pipes from AliExpress and they work very nicely for a quarter of the price of the original.

I got 8 mm length ones, could probably go up to 10 but 8 is fine. Drilled 3 mm (118 mil) holes in my panel & they fit like a glove.

jgoney
Common Wiggler

Post by jgoney » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:04 am

pjbulls wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:30 pm
Looking at the design files just about all traces on this PCB are 5 mils, including power and ground (no pour)? I suppose it works, but that seems pretty meager... and it puts you in a more expensive design bracket at most fabs :hihi:
I gotta say, the lack of a ground pour was definitely a head-scratcher for me too.

danielanez
Common Wiggler

Post by danielanez » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:23 pm

Hello People!
I'm well into my SMR DIY project now. Started it a couple of years ago, when I bought components for only power and CPU. It's such an expensive Mouser cart, that I didn't want to go through all the expenses to not be able to make it. I gave it to a very computer-savvy friend to do the programming, but he never got to do it, and after more than a year, I got them back some months back. Last week I managed to program one of the two by myself (hoorray!) and now I ordered the rest of the components. I already finished ICs and now I'm going to start with other passives (resistors, capacitors and diodes). Let's see how this goes, but if I fail, it's going to be my most expensive fail up to date!

danielanez
Common Wiggler

Post by danielanez » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:24 pm

So, I'm done soldering all the Main parts components, and the firmware is already uploaded (jolly good!). I place without soldering all knobs, sliders and jacks to try to get some response and test before soldering all the control parts, but I get no LEDs nor sounds on. Are there any parts from the Control side that are crutial to solder in order for it to work to do some tests? Or should it already make some sound if I brought the resonance up and then some of the sliders, even if there is no light. Thanks to anyone that can help! :)

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:54 pm

Tough to say, but if you finished all the SMD work the through hole stuff should be a walk in the park! I would solder it all up and see where it gets you.

When you power the device up, do the SMD lights come up at all? Or there are no LEDs whatsoever?
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by pjbulls » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:06 am

Yeah, pretty sure it should at least kind of work without any of the controls soldered on, as seen in this post.

danielanez
Common Wiggler

Post by danielanez » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:00 pm

Ah, I didn't yet solder the SMD LEDs yet! But I did not get any light from the LEDs on the sliders, nor sound when I put Resonance up and lifted the sliders. I'll solder the SMD front LEDs this afternoon and take a picture to see if it looks at least similar to the one on that picture you sent! Thanks!

danielanez
Common Wiggler

Post by danielanez » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:27 pm

Ok, so I soldered all the SMD LEDs and they're on the whole time. I guess I'm going to solder all the rest of the sliders, jacks and pots, just in case there is some normalling that doesn't make it work. If not, I guess I'll restart reflowing the whole thing. Good that in this project all the components are in the other side, so the jacks and pots are not in my way to fix stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:36 pm

Could you try flashing the firmware again? The LEDs should light up in a fancy pattern and be quite a bit more colourful when the firmware is in there.
Soundcloud

danielanez
Common Wiggler

Post by danielanez » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:55 pm

I just did! I flashed it a third time now, and I got the same behaviour than other people in this forum: it looks like the real thing, but once I unplug, it goes back to the initial state, the firmware isn't there anymore. So I read also in this forum that it has to do with uploading the Bootloader, using make combo and make combo_flash, but both of those commands give me a "No Rule to make Target", plus I don't see anywhere the main.bin that is supposed to be there.

I did take a nice picture with the real lights:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Not to plug my own site here, but try giving my blog a read. At the end I explain how I flashed the firmware. I used a bootloader + firmware combo I found out on the internet, then I upgraded to the newest firmware. Worked a treat for me!

https://stevetravale.com/4ms-smr-build-diary-9/

PS, nice shot :tu: hopefully we can make it stick!
Soundcloud

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Post by pjbulls » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:50 am

It took me a little bit to figure out the flashing as well. If the LEDs stay white that's indeed an issue with your MCU booting. See my post above on how to compile the firmware + bootloader:
pjbulls wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:23 pm
seems like the bootloaders (and Makefiles to create combined binaries) are separate repositories. You first have to compile SMR, and then smr-bootloader via make combo.
I could upload the most recent files later, I had to change a flag so that my encoder stepped correctly (default expects 2 pulses per click).

danielanez
Common Wiggler

Post by danielanez » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:59 am

Thanks for all your help! I have finally managed to make the firmware stay in the module! I tried Steve's method first, but for some weird reason, the St-Link software didn't want to download yesterday after I accepted the conditions. So I saw pjbulls' post, and I noticed that the Github readme doesn't talk about the smr-bootloader, but only of the audio-bootloader. So I did it. I had to try a couple of times, re-clone the Git of the SMR and the bootloader a couple of times in different places, but I finally managed! Thanks so much!

Now it sounds, with a lot of weird noises that come and go as the contacts of all the unsoldered pieces move in their holes. I'll solder jacks today to see what is actually left to fix, if both audio outs have the same volume, if all pots, encoders, sliders and CVin jacks respond well, etc.
But at least correctly uploading the firmware it's done. So many unknowns in that are, and the path to know how to fix them so steep!

Hey Steve, we're both in Montreal! Maybe we'll end up meeting (or we have already met?) in a Modular Mondays?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”