[Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: [Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:23 am

hmm. Will have to get to the bottom of that. It's either shorting or flexing the PCB somehow

grizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzle » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:45 am

I can confirm that my Jasper works fine out of the case, and if I leave the 2 screws at the corners of the keyboard out it also works as it should. With those 2 screws in I start getting the odd behavior. At some point I had emailed with Jason and he said that the keyboard is really sensitive to the material it sits on. Maybe there is a issue with it reacting to the powdercoated metal? Or those screw holes being a tad off is flexing the PCB.

I tried again with the case builders but no response from them. I had also contacted them to also get one of the labeled covers for the input/output/power/etc section and also didn't receive a response. Hopefully they are doing ok.

Hope this is helpful.
Tunes-----> apartmentfox.bandcamp.com

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:38 pm

Interesting -- I wondering if the screws running through the case and PCB screw holes is somehow creating the wonky behavior.
I also noticed that the key bed is slightly warped/bowing when trying to tighten down the pcb to the powder coated case.

Also -- my I/O, headphone, power jack connector cover was not correctly laser cut and is out of line with the right side cheek routed hole.

Anyone else experience that the cover is not aligning properly?
I tried orienting it both ways, but it does not fit properly.

I contacted the maker several months ago and they said the cover cut was correct, I just had to finagle it. They also said that they weren't sure why I was getting the shorting issue with the case.

I probably should have just returned it, but I felt like it was something I could have worked through or modified on my end.
I didn't see anyone with assembled cases at the time, so I had nothing to compare it to except their word.

Very Little Fun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Very Little Fun » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:53 pm

Quick question: where are you guys getting these sick yellow knobs? That's the last piece I need before it's done aside from a case.
Keep on selling cocaine to angels.

goodrevdoc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by goodrevdoc » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:33 pm

Its tough to find them stateside, but tme.eu and other european sources have them.

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:17 pm

Very Little Fun wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:53 pm
Quick question: where are you guys getting these sick yellow knobs? That's the last piece I need before it's done aside from a case.
check for a UK eBay seller with those knobs -- if I recall, around ~$65 for them

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:02 am

makhho wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:17 pm
Very Little Fun wrote:
check for a UK eBay seller with those knobs -- if I recall, around ~$65 for them
Yeah, do NOT pay 65$ for those. They are cliff parts and are dirt cheap. TME is where you want to order from (pretty much for everything actually), lightning fast and cheap. Their stuff gets here faster than UPS ground from Mouser and its coming from Poland, not Texas

Very Little Fun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Very Little Fun » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:07 am

Thanks guys!
Keep on selling cocaine to angels.

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:37 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:02 am
makhho wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:17 pm
Very Little Fun wrote:
Yeah, do NOT pay 65$ for those. They are cliff parts and are dirt cheap. TME is where you want to order from (pretty much for everything actually), lightning fast and cheap. Their stuff gets here faster than UPS ground from Mouser and its coming from Poland, not Texas
Good to know

Return to “Music Tech DIY”