[Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

bigsecret
Learning to Wiggle

Re: [Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone

Post by bigsecret » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:45 am

Suf-fuD wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:34 pm
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why I am getting the same note from different keys being played. It's most noticeable with the three keys to the right of the A440, they are all making the exact same tone. The rest of the keyboard seems ok apart from these, I can't think what might be causing this issue. Any suggestions welcome!
I had a similar but more extensive issue with blocks of keys triggering the same note. In the end it was a short in the keyboard decoding section. Take a look at the schematics for the keyboard keyboard code multiplexer and check for a short between the three pins associated with the notes you are having problems with. You probably need to be looking at one of these three IC39, IC43, IC47

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:54 am

Mine at first played only one octave, but twice - when I played the 'keys' one after another and reached middle C it would start the lower octave again instead of going to the upper one.

Turned out it was a little solder blob on the ribbon cable underneath the pcb.

So +1 for a short somewhere.

HTH.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

Pierre-Yves
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pierre-Yves » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:53 am

Hi again,

1. I still haven't solved the issue below (in hold mode 2, the filter enveloppe stops retriggering after a few secs).

To everyone: any ideal?

2. The range of the bend knob is only one note. Is it possible to extend it to one octave ?

Many thanks in advance,
Pierre-Yves

Pierre-Yves wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:29 am
Hi everyone!

Just finished building my Jasper (two years after buying it...). Works great, I am able to get some real dirty sounds out of it (I'm into dirty sounds)!

I have just one problem, that I could not figure out : in hold mode 2 (S9, the one on the original Wasp I think), notes are holding alright and the envelope is retriggered everytime I hit a note (which is what I want), but only for about 10 seconds. After a few seconds, the envelope stops retriggering (notes are still held) when I touch the keyboard.

Could anyone give me some guidance on this ?

Thank you very much in advance,

Pierre-Yves

gfosdike
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gfosdike » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:45 pm

Hello,

I have just finished building a Jasper, and seem to have a bit of an issue. The following notes play without issue: E0, G0#, C1, E1, G1# and C2. The others all just pulse up and down, and C0 sounds like something from an old arcade game!

For the ones that work I can see they share the same pins on IC39,43 and 47, so there seems to be a pattern to whats going on. Just don't know where to go from here!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Gary

gfosdike
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gfosdike » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:10 am

I have now found that if I keep my finger on he link port housing, the keyboard works fine. The same thing happens if you hold a metal probe onto pin G on link 2. So I'm guessing it's a grounding issue, just need to find where!

gfosdike
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Ground Issue Perhaps?

Post by gfosdike » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:21 am

oblongcat wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:36 am
Help please,

Everything works as it should, except I have some sort of ground issue (perhaps?!).

When using the keyboard the pitch becomes unstable, especially for the lower frequency keys (it randomly jumps all over the place). However, when I put my finger on the top right ground point (or any other ground point), the problem goes away and it works fine.

Other information: it seems to operate fine when using hold (i.e. not using the keyboard). Also it behave a lot better (although maybe not quite perfect) when operating from batteries.

Please could someone with more electronics knowledge point me in the right direction of what might be going on? :despair:
Hello, did you ever get this sorted? It sounds like the same issue I'm having now!

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:35 pm

Last edited by makhho on Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

RadekTymecki
Common Wiggler

Post by RadekTymecki » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:11 pm

Do you guys have that constant tone in the background? Jasper works fine btw...

Ps. I have 2 of them and the tone is slighly louder in the second one

Maffez
Common Wiggler

Post by Maffez » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:00 pm

Hey! Just finished mine a couple of days ago after the kit sitting on the shelf for too long - big thanks to Jason for this and wow, what a great synth! :)

Couldn't help but also test some poetential for modifications and was mainly curious about VCO sync (as some of you have discussed earlier here). Not sure how legit and sane this is, but I got some passable results by feeding saw of VCO 1 via a diode and 3k3 resistor on a switch to the PLL cap of IC14 (junction Pin7 and C31). Here's some recording:

https://soundcloud.com/uibkmedan/jasper-vco-sync-test-2

Demo is horrible in musical terms and sync stuff sets in after 20 seconds or so. VCO 2 has a dedicated pitch modulation by LFO, which has, in turn, some half-baked note-on reset (would like to have its pitch modulated by the filter env but haven't gotten really far with that yet).

Again, this might not be very proper in technical terms, yet with VCO2 on square I quite like the results.

tommy.york
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommy.york » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:43 am

Did anyone else build the Psycho laser-cut-MDF case, and have a good Mouser part number for the speaker that would go on the midi / speaker panel? (top left slot here in the photo)

edit: this post could've gone in the psycho case v1 thread, but nonetheless I'll be trying 243-SC4.7ND-8OHM
Attachments
A097B782-782C-4CFF-9D1B-7D24B0EB7338.jpeg
A097B782-782C-4CFF-9D1B-7D24B0EB7338.jpeg (18.9 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Music @ Soundcloud, streaming DIY builds + live music @ twitch and YouTube.

HyprDrivr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HyprDrivr » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:58 am

Hello

Fianlly finished the case a year after i finished the synth :hihi:

Just showing it of :)

IMG_20201209_224801_809.jpg

relggiwffum
Common Wiggler

Post by relggiwffum » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:38 am

Hi! Building a Jasper here and we've noticed a difference comparing it to the original Wasp.
The Pitch pot does not have the same travel as the original. Could this be related to R142? The original schematics do not have this resistor. If the pot is turned to the max a resistance of 470 ohm is obtained instead of 2.2k as in Osc1 in Jasper.

Thank you!

RadekTymecki
Common Wiggler

Post by RadekTymecki » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:11 pm

since paia fatman is also based on 555 maybe this can be applied in jasper?

http://scott.joviansynth.com/fatman/hardsync.html

+

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:03 pm

So i built up my other jasper and wanted to try something now that 3080s are available again: make a 3080 adapter for the 13700 in the filter. The difference is actually quite dramatic, much less screechy but it seems like the resonance needs adjustment, with the 3080s it doesn't get up there. I noticed the pots are different so ill try a 100k like in the wasp
PXL_20210223_005813485.jpg

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:12 am

grizzle wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:52 am
I have the same issues. The VCA and envelop don't trigger correctly and the keyboard sensitivity goes bonkers when it is in the case. My Jasper worked flawlessly until I put it in the case. I tried messaging the makers of the case on the platforms I ordered through and they just stopped responding unfortunately. I was confused regarding exact case, sorry. I have a psycho case.

I can (finally) confirm this a problem. Mine doesnt work in the case either, its something to do with the metal bottom panel below the keyboard, I stuck a piece of felt under the keyboard and that seems to fix it

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:14 pm

Last edited by makhho on Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:30 pm

maybe it needs tweaking after its installed. Not an easy prospect really.

Its definitely something with the steel case though, if the keybed is resting directly on it, it does NOT work right

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:46 am

I seem to an issue with one of my Jaspers. I installed the MIDI board and it appears to be double triggering when playing the keyboard.

My grandson doesn't seem to mind though.

Any suggestions welcome
IMG_1195.JPG
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

Troubleshooter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Troubleshooter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:34 am

Mine has a totally different strange issue. The keybed only works, reacts in room temperature and above.
In my gardens man-cave-block-hut where I put things together I have noticed that I always need to heat the place to room temperature before the jasper works. This became clear now during winter while I was writing an arduino based midification for the jasper.
Any idea what component could be temperature sensitive? I considder my soldering work very professional so it should not be a cold soldering joint.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:42 am

can everyone post what case they are using? I had the double triggering thing in my psycho case and that was another symptom that isolating the keybed from the metal fixed

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:31 pm

Troubleshooter wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:34 am
Mine has a totally different strange issue. The keybed only works, reacts in room temperature and above.
In my gardens man-cave-block-hut where I put things together I have noticed that I always need to heat the place to room temperature before the jasper works. This became clear now during winter while I was writing an arduino based midification for the jasper.
Any idea what component could be temperature sensitive? I considder my soldering work very professional so it should not be a cold soldering joint.
Possibly not temperature per se, but could be humidity and hence condensation. Being a capacitive keyboard it may work better if you adjust the sensitivity slightly.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”