[Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: [Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:23 am

hmm. Will have to get to the bottom of that. It's either shorting or flexing the PCB somehow

grizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzle » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:45 am

I can confirm that my Jasper works fine out of the case, and if I leave the 2 screws at the corners of the keyboard out it also works as it should. With those 2 screws in I start getting the odd behavior. At some point I had emailed with Jason and he said that the keyboard is really sensitive to the material it sits on. Maybe there is a issue with it reacting to the powdercoated metal? Or those screw holes being a tad off is flexing the PCB.

I tried again with the case builders but no response from them. I had also contacted them to also get one of the labeled covers for the input/output/power/etc section and also didn't receive a response. Hopefully they are doing ok.

Hope this is helpful.
Tunes-----> apartmentfox.bandcamp.com

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:38 pm

Last edited by makhho on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Very Little Fun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Very Little Fun » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:53 pm

Quick question: where are you guys getting these sick yellow knobs? That's the last piece I need before it's done aside from a case.
Keep on selling cocaine to angels.

goodrevdoc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by goodrevdoc » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:33 pm

Its tough to find them stateside, but tme.eu and other european sources have them.

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:17 pm

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:02 am

makhho wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:17 pm
Very Little Fun wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:53 pm
Quick question: where are you guys getting these sick yellow knobs? That's the last piece I need before it's done aside from a case.
check for a UK eBay seller with those knobs -- if I recall, around ~$65 for them
Yeah, do NOT pay 65$ for those. They are cliff parts and are dirt cheap. TME is where you want to order from (pretty much for everything actually), lightning fast and cheap. Their stuff gets here faster than UPS ground from Mouser and its coming from Poland, not Texas

Very Little Fun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Very Little Fun » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:07 am

Thanks guys!

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:37 am

adhmzaiusz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adhmzaiusz » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:00 am

Anyone have an idea where to get the pots for the Jasper other than from SmallBear? Their website is shut down right now because of CV19...

Very Little Fun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Very Little Fun » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:55 pm

adhmzaiusz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adhmzaiusz » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:16 pm

Very Little Fun wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:55 pm
Try https://www.taydaelectronics.com/

Good luck!
That's great, thank you! I managed to find them all except the dual 1m log pot. I might have luck with that one on my other order i'm putting together on mouser. Thanks!

Very Little Fun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Very Little Fun » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:11 am

No problem. Glad to help!

vitamineli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vitamineli » Tue May 05, 2020 11:38 am

Hey everybody, finally digging into the Jasper Wasp project I bought a few years ago, heh heh. For some reason now I have some time...

Everything seems to be working aside from oscillator 1, and I can't figure out why not. I've checked all my solder joints multiple times, swapped ICs 7 and 14, ICs 25 and 26, but the problem stays with oscillator 1. IC 7 is getting 5V between pins 8 and 14, but not seeing any output at pin 3 (or impulse at pin 14). Pin 1 on IC25 shows a small amount of signal, but not as strong as IC26.

I'm at the end of my personal troubleshooting skills, so any help would be appreciated! I have the original Wasp manual and schematics and am trying to use those but again am at the limit of my own abilities... thanks in advance!

PS sounds pretty awesome already with the single oscillator!!!

Eli

Pierre-Yves
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pierre-Yves » Sun May 10, 2020 3:29 am

Hi everyone!

Just finished building my Jasper (two years after buying it...). Works great, I am able to get some real dirty sounds out of it (I'm into dirty sounds)!

I have just one problem, that I could not figure out : in hold mode 2 (S9, the one on the original Wasp I think), notes are holding alright and the envelope is retriggered everytime I hit a note (which is what I want), but only for about 10 seconds. After a few seconds, the envelope stops retriggering (notes are still held) when I touch the keyboard.

Could anyone give me some guidance on this ?

Thank you very much in advance,

Pierre-Yves

nologin
Common Wiggler

Post by nologin » Mon May 11, 2020 4:07 am

Wouldn't your switch be a momentary one? Or a faulty on/on. Otherwise there's a problem with the envelope

Pierre-Yves
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pierre-Yves » Mon May 11, 2020 4:13 am

Hi,
thanks

no, it's a toggle switch and the behaviour is the same if I put a jumper on the board.

It must be the envelope, but appart from that, it works perfectly (in no hold mode).

I saw that someone else had the same problem a few years ago:
KlangGenerator wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:42 am
Finished my Jasper today. When I am in hold2 mode, the filter control env only retriggers a few times when a new note is played. After some notes the filter control env doesn't work anymore. Switching hold off and on again makes the envelope work again for a few notes.

What could cause this to happen? I think it's not normal that the filter envelope doens't retrigger all the time when hold2 mode is enabled... :despair:

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Thu May 14, 2020 12:10 am

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:43 am

makhho wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:10 am
altitude -- did you end up successfully fitting your jasper into the new case?
I havent had time to do it.

MarkLaEl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MarkLaEl » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:11 am

At the Brighton Modular Meet 2018, I met Jason Lane and subsequently purchased the Jasper Kit; which because of having too many Moog format and Eurorack projects, I have only just recently completed.

All my modular gear uses solid walnut sides, so Jasper needed to have a walnut cabinet.

Calibration was very straightforward, but the K/B sensitivity needs patience!

I decided to mount the control panel at an angle and therefore had to sort out connecting the rotary switches to the PCB. I ended up purchasing six switches with solder lugs and twelve with solder pins. These twelve were dismantled so I could use one 'base' as a lid with the pins removed and the hook-up wires fed through the holes. These wires were then soldered to the pad which would normally engage with the rotating part of the switch. The two halves were then held together with a cable tie and placed on the PCB and soldered as normal. The other end of each wire was then soldered to the relevant solder lug on the 'proper' rotary switch mounted to the control panel.
Attachments
JASPER FRONT.JPG
JASPER SIDE.JPG
JASPER REAR (1).JPG
JASPER REAR (2).JPG
JASPER REAR (3).JPG

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:05 pm

MarkLaEl wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:11 am
At the Brighton Modular Meet 2018, I met Jason Lane and subsequently purchased the Jasper Kit; which because of having too many Moog format and Eurorack projects, I have only just recently completed.

All my modular gear uses solid walnut sides, so Jasper needed to have a walnut cabinet.

Calibration was very straightforward, but the K/B sensitivity needs patience!

I decided to mount the control panel at an angle and therefore had to sort out connecting the rotary switches to the PCB. I ended up purchasing six switches with solder lugs and twelve with solder pins. These twelve were dismantled so I could use one 'base' as a lid with the pins removed and the hook-up wires fed through the holes. These wires were then soldered to the pad which would normally engage with the rotating part of the switch. The two halves were then held together with a cable tie and placed on the PCB and soldered as normal. The other end of each wire was then soldered to the relevant solder lug on the 'proper' rotary switch mounted to the control panel.
That's absolutely beautiful! :sb:
One day I'll get an avatar!

MarkLaEl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MarkLaEl » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:39 am

Many thanks; a labour of love, too many projects, too little money, too little space!

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:21 pm

Just finished building mine, everything seem to work. I was quite an easy build, but the panel alignment with the "flying" pots was quite a PITA ;-)
(this weekend, MIDI interface and possibly a wooden case)

cardnotready
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cardnotready » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi, i would need a little help with some parts of the Jasper BOM. Maybe anybody can give me some tips.

1. Can someone direct me to the correct "16Mhz Crystal HC49 type low" for the JasperMIDI at Digikey or Mouser? There are several kinds of HC49 with different ppm and i don't know which one i should use.
2. I wanna add 6.35mm (1/4") jacks instead of 3.5mm (1/8") jacks. Can i use the Cliff CL1160A for the Ext Trig Mod? https://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/jacksockets/s2.htm
3. is it possible to add a CV IN with the JasperMIDI?

OK, that's it for now.
Thanks

Suf-fuD
Common Wiggler

Post by Suf-fuD » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:34 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why I am getting the same note from different keys being played. It's most noticeable with the three keys to the right of the A440, they are all making the exact same tone. The rest of the keyboard seems ok apart from these, I can't think what might be causing this issue. Any suggestions welcome!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”