Ikea 19" rack mount

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:39 am

yeah, it's been posted before I think. From Ikeahackers.net
Bro could have done a better thought out job on the metal strips interconnecting the 3 rows. But I like how he coordinated the rack with a white Microbrute. Really ties the room together.

DJ_JITTER
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ_JITTER » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:13 am

So I've been scouring Ikea and other furniture suppliers to try and find a replacement for this. Yeah I could just get some MDF board, but then I'd need to cut it to size, paint it, etc. I came upon this drawer that looked to be just right, but annoyingly the stated internal dimensions are actually the internal ones.

A quick rejig by mounting the sides differently (see attached CAD) and it fits some Tip Top 84hp rails quite neatly, probably up to 7U.

The tops of the side panels are exposed particle-board, but some stickers sorted that out. You could still use the bottom of the drawer as a back panel, but it won't fit the full width. Another option could be to get another one and attach it to the bottom with the supplied dowels and some glue for 14u for £30.

Since I've only got 1 row of modules at the moment, I don't have much need for more than this, but someone should take a look at this kids storage unit, I reckon it might fit some 19" rails.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Here's the current Ikea 19" rack hack item:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60193736

Return to “Music Tech DIY”